The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2008, 02:04 PM   #1
HarcoHunter

.35 whelen vs. .350 Remington Magnum

New for primitive weapon season in Mississippi you can use a single shot with exposed hammer as long as it is .35 cal. or larger. Lots of people are buying new barrels for their encore. On the Mississippi Game and Fish forums most are going with the .35 whelen over the .350 Remington Magnum. I was wondering why this is, because it appears that the .350 Remington Magnum has a sight advantage in trajectory/velocity/energy over the .35 whelen??. I am considering one of these barrals for my Encore. Can anyone that has experience with these calibers tell me the pros and cons of one over the other? Thanks!!!
Old September 8, 2008, 08:03 PM   #2
saudst

35 Whelen?

Most likely because it's easier to find ammo, and brass if you reload. I also do not think the 350 Mag. has enough advantage in velocity to make a difference, the Whelen will take anything in north America if you use the correct bullet.

I do have a question though? Are you sure about being able to use a center fire rifle caliber, as long as long as it's .35 cal. or larger in a single shot? That seems very liberal for a "primitive" weapon season. Here in Ohio the laws are about middle of the road. It must be a bow or a muzle loader but you should see some of the set ups some of these guys take hunting, scoped out $700 Knights with 12 power scopes. Basicaly 200-250 yd. set ups. I like my Renegade. Go with the Whelen and it will be easier to find ammo and cheaper.
Old September 8, 2008, 10:05 PM   #3
bcarver

yes its true

To saudst
We have a large herd. Very Large. The fish and game are trying everything to kill back the herd. They are telling us to kill does as often as possible.
We are allowed five does and two bucks. Even more if you apply for doe permits based on a "Big Buck Program".

To harcohunter

I am considering the .35 whelen for my encore. I find the straight sided case easier to reload than the belted case.
Old September 8, 2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Jim Watson

When they first started allowing breechloaders in "primitive weapons" season in Mississippi, they had to be a nominal black powder caliber even though loaded with nitro. Looks like they have relaxed the requirements even more. But then I recall when they used poisoned arrows in Mississippi bow season, too.
Old September 9, 2008, 08:48 AM   #5
HarcoHunter

bcarver, I never reloaded a belted case, what problems may I run into?

bcarver what problems might I run into loading a belted case? Such as the .350 Rem. Mag.?
Old September 9, 2008, 10:36 AM   #6
ocharry

harco ,,i don't think you will have any trouble reloading a belted case,,just pay attention to what you are doing,,,just like when you reload any thing else,,,the cases don't last as long,,,give them a good look over each time you load them

i don't know but are you guys shooting giant size deer down there????

at more than 150 yrds????

i would think either one of those cartridges in that light rifle would be hard on the shoulder,,,,,i would think a 35 remington would do what ever you need out to 150-200yrds. ,, and be way easier on the body

or maybe TC doesn't make that cartridge for their oncore,,just a thought

ocharry
Old September 9, 2008, 11:47 AM   #7
HarcoHunter

Thand you ocharry

ocharry we hunt powerlines, gaslines and open field edges(+/- 300 yd shots) where the longer range round would pay off! Thanks
Old September 9, 2008, 11:04 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Why not .358 Winchester? Easier on the shoulder, just fine for the type of terrain, plenty of power for the deer there. Ammo is a little more scarce than the .35 Whelen, but easier to find than .350 Rem Mag. Winchester brass is easier to find than the ammo, and it's a "Group A" die through RCBS. (regular production, about $26-29)

I am building a .35 Whelen, but in your case, I would choose the .358 Win.
Old September 17, 2008, 02:55 PM   #9
Paul B.

Either the .358 Win. or .35 Whelen would do just fine. if you handload and can't find ammo or brass, no big deal. The .358 is easily made by running .308Win. brass through the sizing die. Same thing with the Whelen using 30-06 brass.
I have rifles in both cartridges and either one will do the job. My first choice would be the Whelen but the .358 is nipping right on the Whelen's coattails.
Paul B.
Old September 17, 2008, 06:42 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

The other side of the coin, for reloaders...

Headspacing. Many .35 caliber rifle rounds don't have a very large shoulder to headspace off of. Care should be taken, and attention paid to setting back of the shoulder when resizing. Even a little set back will shorten brass life alot. And an extreme amount will let the round go too deep in the chamber (always a bad thing).

If this regard, the belted case has a slight advantage, headspacing on the belt, but shoulder set back has to be checked carefully with belted cases as well.

The small shoulder area of .35 cal rounds is no reason to pass them by, just something to be carefully checked as you reload them. If you want a rear pain, try something like the .400 Whelen, which technically has a shoulder, but only techically.

The .35 Whelen in a light rifle like the Encore is going to pack a wallop, on both ends. The .350 mag might be even worse. .358 Win is an ignored round, most shooters going with the .35 Rem (in Marlin rifles) or the .35 Whelen (since it became a factory round) when they want more power. The advantage to the .358 is nearly .35 Whelen power in a short action, which since you are using the Encore is of no concern.

If you buy factory ammo, the .35 Whelen is probably a little easier to find on the shelf. Order factory ammo and there is no difference (except price). Handload and brass availability is moot, just order whatever caliber you choose, one good size batch will leave you with enough cases for decades of hunting.