The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 1, 2015, 01:05 AM   #1
44 AMP
Staff

NRA Junior events

Does anyone know when the NRA created the "junior" (under age 18) category for it's sanctioned matches and programs?

Some friends are discussing this, and some saying well before WWII, other saying the 50s, etc.

Since I have the "magic box" they asked me to post the question. I personally have no idea. All I know for sure is that they existed in the 60s, which is no help.

also being asked is when the juniors first went to Camp Perry?
Old March 1, 2015, 03:57 AM   #2
Snyper

This doesn't give specific ages, but sounds like it may apply:

http://www.nrahq.org/history.asp

Quote:
The NRA's interest in promoting the shooting sports among America's youth began in 1903 when NRA Secretary Albert S. Jones urged the establishment of rifle clubs at all major colleges, universities and military academies.

By 1906, NRA's youth program was in full swing with more than 200 boys competing in matches at Sea Girt that summer.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:39 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

I think that's what they are looking for. Thanks!
Old March 1, 2015, 02:01 PM   #4
DaleA

Quote:
NRA Secretary Albert S. Jones urged the establishment of rifle clubs at all major colleges, universities and military academies.
The program (in the 1960's) went well below that age. My town had a program at the YMCA for ages 12 through 18. The range was also used by adults one or two nights a week. Sigh. The YMCA got rid of the range years ago.