The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2007, 12:19 AM   #1
G&G

Novice Reloader with Lee Classic Turret Press

My first Thread. I recently got a Lee Classic Turret Press for 9mm. After I have raised the casing into the expander die to receive the powder charge, the cartridge is stuck just a little bit & I have to use a little bit of force to get it out of the die. Is this normal and just part of the break in period or do I need to make more adjustments? I loaded & fired my 1st 25 rounds at IDPA this week. Don't want to make 200 until all of the bugs are worked out.
Old April 27, 2007, 05:32 AM   #2
rwilson452

Expander die?

IF your case is sticking in the expander die you most likely belling the case too much. don't bell the mouth anymore than is necessary to get the bullet to stay on top of the case. if the bullet is a little crooked, it won't matter the seating die will straighten it up.
Old April 27, 2007, 05:53 AM   #3
ECLIPSE45ACP

Agreed back the die off just enough so that is flaring it to set the bullet on top. If it is flared too much it will not go into the seating die very easily either, and you could damage the case.

-Dan
Old April 27, 2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Stargazer

The Lee expander die is made to do that to the case as it adds a little "bump" to the setup allowing powder to fall into the case if stuck to the inside of the die. That is a good thing if you load the powder then, but I do that as a seperate step and the "bump" is annoying.

M70 Web Page
Old April 27, 2007, 08:12 AM   #5
nass

I don't notice any bump or stick in my setup. I barely expand that case though.

Maybe the lever on the powderdrop is sticking slightly? Try actuating it manually and see if it is there.
Old April 27, 2007, 10:59 AM   #6
benedict1

The 'bump' is normal. It may be more pronounced if the die is a little rough on the inside though.

Don't flare too much, but don't back off too much either because you run the risk that the Auto Disk does not slide far enough out over the drop hole so all the powder will flow into the case. The case mouth actuates the disk as it is being expanded--watch that or you could get inconsistent powder drops.
Old April 27, 2007, 11:40 AM   #7
cloudcroft

G&G,

Yes, "the bump is normal." You WILL feel the expander "grab" the case neck when you move the handle up to lower the ram and then it lets go...a little "bump" if you will as the case neck releases.

So, as already mentioned by others here, to avoid working the brass any more than it has to be worked, expand the case neck the MINIMUM amount required to allow the bullet's base to get past it when you seat the bullet.

You still will have that "grabbing" and a bump -- as I said, it's normal -- but at least you know it IS normal and you're not expanding the case neck too much.

As for MY Lee resizing plug, I took a Dremel polishing wheel (the rubber wheel with the very fine abrasive in it) and polished up (nice and shiny) the part of the plug that goes into the case mouth. It helped, but there is still a drag and slight bump. Only lubing the case mouth would probably reduce that but since that's NOT appropriate, I just live with the "bump."

-- John D.
Old April 27, 2007, 12:20 PM   #8
benedict1

It is purposely designed to cause that bump--remember, it is a powder-through, expander die. The bump helps to settle the powder in the hopper for consistent charging. There is just enough vibration to do that.
Old April 29, 2007, 10:03 PM   #9
G&G

Thanks for the help

I've made some adjustments and loaded 50 more rounds. The press performed much better.
Thanks to all
G&G