The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 21, 2002, 09:57 PM   #1
Airborne Cadet

Sitrep

Just thought i'd let you guys know, today i found out my branch from Army ROTC Cadet Command. I have been branched Infantry, which was my first choice. I'm pretty excited, it was a great feeling when they pinned on the crossed rifles. I don't have a date for my Infantry Officer's Basic Course yet but it will be sometime in 2005 since i graduate in december of 2004. It seemed like a long time, but it gives me time to prepare physically and mentally, not only for IOBC, but the obligatory Ranger school as well. I'd appreciate any advice you all have to offer, especially on things i can do to get ready. I'd love to hear about some of your encounters with and impressions of young LTs. Oh, and for the record, i will definitely be listening to and learning from NCOs. If there's one thing that i've learned in my limited experience with the army, it's that NCOs can get along without officers, but officers cannot get along without NCOs.

Seeking knowledge and vicarious wisdom,
Airborne Cadet
Old November 21, 2002, 10:34 PM   #2
Hard Ball

Good choice AC and remember "Rangers lead the way!". Just don't go mad with power when they pin the gold bars on!
Old November 22, 2002, 12:11 AM   #3
mons-meg

Just curious, but has anyone ever been turned down when they asked for infantry?
Old November 22, 2002, 12:45 AM   #4
bastiat

Well, I was watching this documentary called 'no time for sergeants' and this smaller guy, Ben, was having a hard time getting into infantry. IIRC, after some sort of accident, he was transferred to infantry to keep him quiet.
Old November 22, 2002, 07:01 AM   #5
Tom C.

I was in a similar position 35 yrs. ago, but chose to try to fly jets. I, too, got my wish and flew F-4 Phantoms for several years.
If you are planning to go to the Ranger school, the best thing you can do is get in the best physical condition you can. It will be 6 mo. of rugged exercise. You will loose 25 lbs. You will be exhausted. OK, deal with it.
Old November 22, 2002, 09:52 AM   #6
Gomez

Congratulations.
Old November 22, 2002, 10:23 AM   #7
Blackhawk

Good luck to you!
Old November 22, 2002, 12:40 PM   #8
wingnutx

Bravo Zulu! Maybe I'll get to salute you someday.
Old November 22, 2002, 12:43 PM   #9
MolonLabe416

1. Sargents run the Army. Listen to your NCOs. You already seem to have learned this. You'll be ahead of the OCs who haven't.

2. Lead your men, don't order them.

3. Read the recommended books for officers on the USMC site. The Army probably has one as well. Add anything on the Marine site that isn't on the Army site to your list.

4. Read a little book called "Management and Machievelli."

5. Never stop learning.

6. Watch six.

Good luck, and thanks for standing the watch for us.

Steve
Old December 15, 2002, 08:18 PM   #10
Golden Bear

Congrats!

Never stop learning, just don't spend so much time 'learning' that you end up never applying what you learned.

Some sites that attempt to spread some of the info learned by the 'been there, done that' crowd:
http://www.platoonleader.org
http://www.companycommand.com

Golden Bear, Out.
Old December 17, 2002, 03:01 AM   #11
madgrad

Some things I learned as an EM that I hope will help you as an officer.

Don't treat us EM's as Serfs on the manor.

If you treat us with respect, we'll give it back to you 110% whenever possible.

Lead by example.

Always be consistent, and fair with discipline,towards your troops.

If your not we will not respect you.

Don't be afraid to hand out discipline when needed . An Lt. that fails to do so, will have troops walking all over him, with no respect at all.

Just remember, the punishment must fit the crime, when it comes to discipline. Overkill ruins Morale. Troops will not go 110% for you if they feel you'd throw them in front of a bus for carreer advancement.

Always keep learning.

If soldier dosen't seem to fit in with the platoon, move him somewhere he does, it works better than chaptering, and is quicker too.

(i.e. Only single soldier in platoon full of married people)the classic recipe for disciplinary problems.

Learn to keep things in house.

Keep training serious, but learn to make it fun also.

Murphys law of leadership " Hand a 2nd Lt. a map, and you will get lost for sure"

Learn from your NCO's, you will learn what to do from good leaders, and what not to do from bad leaders.

Training days are not for Post Beautification, they are for training.

Training can be used as a reward, and be creative. You can use other resources than what is on post.

Field Sanitation is a lost art.

Learn from your mistakes.

The only thing that will not go wrong is Murphys Law.

Keep a sense of humor. If you don't you'll get eaten of alive by your job.

Being a boss is not easy. You have to wear the black hat besides the white one. It is never fun wearing the black hat.

Never tolerate dime droppers. The reason they are dropping dimes is that they are really up to no good.

I hope these help you.

Good luck with your commission, and future endeavours.
Old December 17, 2002, 07:47 PM   #12
para.2

Congratulations!

1. Run, run, and run some more.
2. Never stop learning.
3. On days you don't feel like running, strap on a ruck,and take to the fire breaks. (trails through the woods)
4. The ranger tab is just a tab, not an excuse to abuse troops the rest of your career.
5. Learn to climb a rope, really, really well.
6. Really spend some time with map&compass. Batteries die, environmental conditions will cause your GPS to lose sattelite lock.
7. Did I mention running?
8. Have fun! This is what we did as kids, and now we're getting paid for it?
9. Good Luck!!!