The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 25, 2010, 12:55 AM   #51
Rocked

Hands, specifically thumbs, right knee and hip and ankles. I have trouble with mag releases on the semis, but can do just fine on revolver cylinder releases. Good thing i already prefer revolvers.
Old December 30, 2010, 05:36 PM   #52
langenc

L shoulder needs complete rebuild-problem--11 mo rehab. 1/2" of ball is gone and the 1/2" space. I have bone on bome w. ratchetting(grinding).

Had a shot of steroid about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Much improved. L knee is going but not as bad. Steroid didnt help much last June.
Old December 30, 2010, 06:43 PM   #53
vytoland

Who's got it, ME...where does it hurt, FEET, KNEES, HIPS..... and what do you do about? SUCK IT UP
Old December 30, 2010, 07:43 PM   #54
Ted

I've had Arthritis since I was Seventeen. I'm now seventy and six months. Rare is the day that I do not have pain in one knee or the other. one shoulder or the other. Back is fused solid. Had a hip replaced fourteen years ago. Top it off I fell on the ice Christmas morning and broke my right arm. Grams said if you hang long enough you'd get use to it. I have never gotten use to Arthritis pain. I just live with it!
Old January 1, 2011, 10:09 PM   #55
lefteye

I have osteoarthritis in both hands/wrists and lower spine. I had carpal metacarpal surgery to reconstruct both thumb joints (right hand in 2006, left hand in 2010) and carpal tunnel release surgery at the same time. Before the 1st surgery I was dropping objects, e.g., a hammer, held in my right hand and shooting any handgun other than a .22 was difficult. With therapy, stretching and strength exercises I regained about 90% of the strength (and perhaps 95-98% of the flexibility) in my right hand about a year after the surgery and was able shoot my S&W 629. I still have not recovered fully from the April 2010 surgery; my left hand/wrist is weak and sore 24/7 and my right hand/wrist is also going downhill. I need to return to a regular schedule of specific exercises for both left and right hands. I have used various types of hand/wrist supports with and without plastic or aluminum stays to shoot handguns the past four years. My biggest problem is working the slide of a short semiauto like my 4" barrel Kimber CDP II, Kahr P40 and Kahr P45, and Ruger LCP. The hand/wrist supports help with the shooting but are no substitute for the gripping strength needed to work the slide on these pistols. Fortunately, these problems have not materially affected shooting long guns.
Old January 2, 2011, 09:33 PM   #56
Del

arthritis

I have had it since early 80s.been through everything and now left with just a morphine sulfate. I stay in bed when it gets real bad and just try and grin and bear it.

Del
Old January 13, 2011, 12:57 PM   #57
ChrisJ715

I'm near 40 and I have severe pain in both my knees ans did my mother and her fater, and lol, most of my cousins. I take a glucosamine supplement and when it gets really bad, I use aleve and tiger balm. I usually have to uses wraps or braces to get through a workout or my martial arts class...
Old January 14, 2011, 12:04 AM   #58
HK-Lance

Having over 20 years of experience in Ayurvedic medicine and Western Clinical Nutrition, I feel obligated to chime in here.

NSAIDs (Tylenol, Advil, etc) are some of the worst things to take for arthritis because they cause further deterioration of the joint and therefore lead to the need for stronger drugs to control the pain. They also do a number on your liver and kidneys. Tylenol overdose is the #1 cause of acute liver failure.

There are several natural approaches which are far safer and much more effective, as they actually correct the problem as opposed to merely masking the symptoms.

First, there are several systemic enzyme formulas that help reduce or eliminate inflammation. Vitalzyme and Wobenzyme are two of the most popular, and from my experience Vitalzyme is the more effective of the two. Wobenzyme has been extensively studied in Germany and has a well documented track record of effectiveness. The great thing about systemic enzymes is you can't overdose on them. Worst case scenario, you take way too many (say an entire bottle of 100+) and you end up with a headache or stomach ache or the runs due to the Herxheimer effect (just a cleanse effect from killing off bad bacteria and other toxins). Not a problem. I've taken over 100 in the course of 12 hours for an injury with no negative side effects.

Along with the systemic enzymes are several herbal combinations such as Botanical Treasures by Natura, which contains standardized turmeric (95% curcuminoids), holy basil, and a ton of other herbs specifically used to alleviate inflammation in the body (which leads to pain). Botanical Treasures is the one I find most effective. Another alternative one is Zyflammend, which is effective, though not as effective as Botanical Treasures. Both are also safe in very high doses.Curcumin is the active ingredient found in the spice turmeric and has been shown to have excellent anti-inflammatory effect. I recently had two wisdom teeth taken out at the same time, and I used Wobenzyme and some curcumin (I was unfortunately out of Wobenzyme at the time) and within a few hours there was no swelling and no pain at all. Didn't even need an aspirin or anything, there was literally no pain at all.

Those supplements are especially good for rheumatoid arthritis, which entails far more inflammation than osteoarthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis is especially of concern to shooters as it targets the hands and wrists, as opposed to osteoarthritis, which affects the weight bearing joints (knees, hips, etc) and consists more of joint degeneration rather than inflammation.

For osteoarthritis, a good formula of glucosamine and chondroitin is essential, as this rebuilds the joints. It's been proven to actually rebuild joints and reduce pain rather than just masking it. I prefer a formula that includes MSM, which makes it more effective. Again, a very safe formula. Adding hyaluronic acid (in liquid form preferably...the best brand is Synthovial Seven) will really help, as your body uses that to rebuild the synovial cavity between the bones, increasing the cushioning effect. It absorbs thousands of times its weight in water, and your body uses it not only to build and lubricate the joints, but also to moisten the skin, the fluids in your eyes, etc. Again, a very safe product, it's damn near impossible to overdose on.

Dietary changes are also essential. We tend to eat far too many Omega 6 oils and fats (corn, soy, canola, and safflower oils and hydrogenated oils) and not enough good fats and Omega 3 oils (raw butter, lard, coconut oil, flax oil, fish or krill oil).

A high quality Omega 3 fish oil is a great help in working with either form of arthritis, and Nordic Naturals makes the highest quality (i take their Ultimate Omega formula). Oceans 3 by Garden of Life is also top-notch. You can't get your omega 3 fats from flax alone, you must use either fish or krill oil.

Avoiding processed and refined carbs (breads, pastas, etc) also helps. Soda/pop drinks are the bane of everyone, as they contain phosphoric acid (which acidifies the body and weakens bone, leading to worsening of arthritic breakdown of the joints), and high fructose corn syrup (which de-mineralizes the bone, decreases your good cholesterol, increases your bad cholesterol and triglycerides, and increases uric acid which causes inflammation throughout the body). Also, the carbonation in sodas forms carbonic acid in the stomach, which further decays bone. In order to neutralize a single 8oz can of Pepsi or Coke, you'd need to ingest 32 equal sized cans of pH neutral water!

Anything with fructose, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, or agave nectar (which is 70%-90% fructose) should be avoided because it de-mineralizes bones, while increasing your bad cholesterol and uric acid levels.

I guess that's enough to digest in one post, no pun intended. If anyone has questions on any of this, or other health issues, please feel free to post here or email be privately. I figure I can use my particular knowledge to give something back, since I'm learning so much from others here at this forum.
Old January 14, 2011, 05:24 PM   #59
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Rheumatoid arthritis is especially of concern to shooters as it targets the hands and wrists, as opposed to osteoarthritis, which affects the weight bearing joints (knees, hips, etc) and consists more of joint degeneration rather than inflammation.
Only if you're lucky enough that your RA is confined to one area. But that's a little like winning the lotto. Rheumatoid Arthritis is an auto-immune disease where you own immune system is destroying the joints, and is therefore generally systemic, affecting all joints, especially weight bearing ones. And the destructive process is far faster than with Osteoarthritis. Most of the RA patients I know have their hips and knees replaced before anything else.
Old January 14, 2011, 05:32 PM   #60
HK-Lance

That's very true. And that's why the use of natural anti-inflammatories and systemic enzymes is so useful. They help prevent the autoimmune response causing the inflammation. Here's a link to Dr. Mercola's website, which has some great information on dealing with RA naturally, and also with low dose Naltrexone:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-protocol.aspx
Old January 14, 2011, 06:00 PM   #61
boomboomthump

I was diagnosed with RA in 1998. When it flares, my hands and fingers swell to the point they look like hotdogs. Just about every joint in my body is affected.

I'm on some pretty stiff stuff, Methotrexate, Plaquenil, Prednisone, and every eight weeks a 2 1/2 hour IV infusion of Remicade. On the not so bad days I use 800mg of Ibuprofin when needed.

Even though I'm stiff and hurt at times, I do what I need to to and try to ignore the pain and stiffness. I don't see any drawbacks when I'm shooting although I find it very difficult to kneel solely (doing anything) on my left knee due to a severe injury in 1980 to my knee.
Old January 16, 2011, 11:30 AM   #62
Murdock

Gonna hate myself for chiming in here, but...

My profession is occupational therapy (OT), and in addition to that discipline I am a certified hand therapist (CHT). As such I specialize in rehabilitation of the arm, shoulder and hand. We are frequently confused with physical therapy, since the general public tends to interpret all physical medicine disciplines as physical therapy. We are concerned with all of the occupations of daily living, meaning work, rest and leisure, which is why it's called occupational therapy.

I treat patients with various types of arthritis every day of my working life. Some have had surgery -- including joint replacements -- to address their issues. Some can be treated more conservatively. The essence of my practice with arthritis involves finding ways for my patients to safely continue with activities that are important to them while maintaining strength and range of motion and preventing deformities.

With respect to shooting, it's a repetitive activity involving forceful gripping and, in the case of larger caliber guns, repetitive shock to the joints, large and small. Medications and even home remedies are all fine, and frequently can improve quality of life in general, but it is still necessary to avoid behavior that damages the body.

Here is my (drum roll) professional advice for shooters on the subject of arthritis:

1. Reduce the force needed to grip the weapon. Get good, ergonomic grips and stocks. Nothing has worked better for me with heavy revolvers than Bill Jordan Trooper grips by Herrett's or Pachmayr. "Coke bottle" type grips also make sense compared to the crappy shapes of S&W target grips of more recent years. Tyler T-grips are good with smaller, skinnier stocks and frames. Larger, softer grips that distribute the recoil into the larger areas of the palm also make sense. Find what works for you. Buy for function, not appearance, as you would a hunting dog.
2. Reduce the shock of recoil. Have a .22 handgun or rifle as the understudy for your centerfire weapon(s). Dry fire instead of using live ammo. Buy an air rifle/pistol. Use carpenter's type work gloves with a gel insert in the palm and friction pads on the fingers with open finger tips.
3. Reduce the number of repetitions in the task or activity. Load magazines or speed loaders at home where its warm before you go to the range. Don't reload 500 rounds of pistol ammo and shoot on the same day. Don't swing a 20-ounce hammer with a firm grip all morning and then try to relax with your .44 blaster all afternoon.
4. Use larger joints to perform the heaviest work, whenever possible. Switch from isoceles to Weaver. That way the shoulders take the load and the wrists and elbows not so much.
5. Identify the other, non-shooting tasks you do that irritate your joints and find ways to avoid wearing down your joints with those activities. See an occupational therapist in your area to help with this. Try your local hospital or the yellow pages. Ask your primary care provider for a referral. Your health insurance will cover it. OTs call this type of intervention "joint conservation."
5. Any measure that is designed to reduce repetitive stress that will lead to an overuse injury is doubly important for those with arthritis.
6. Be aware that every ache and pain you may have may not be from arthritis, even if that is what you have been diagnosed with. The soft tissues of the body will go into spasm to protect (i.e.; "splint") a painful joint. Appropriate strengthening (read that as gentle and sensible exercise), stretching, massage, myofascial release techniques, Kinesio taping, ultrasound, moist surface heat and other physical medicine interventions can all have good success here.

Now, why did I say that I was going to hate myself for chiming in here? 'Cause nobody is going to want to do this. Most of us just want to take a pill or have surgery rather than take active measures to do things better. Sigh.

Last edited by Murdock; January 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old January 16, 2011, 11:40 AM   #63
rodent.22

I belong, left knee cleaned out, total replacement rt knee. Rt shoulder rebuilt. Now disc degeneration and grinding neck, tremors in rt arm. Jeez getting old is HARD work......
Old January 16, 2011, 05:47 PM   #64
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Here's a link to Dr. Mercola's website, which has some great information on dealing with RA naturally, and also with low dose Naltrexone:
Thank you, my friend!

Quote:
I'm on some pretty stiff stuff, Methotrexate, Plaquenil, Prednisone, and every eight weeks a 2 1/2 hour IV infusion of Remicade.
Oh my Lord, I've never heard of such a list of poison all at the same time. Best of luck to you.
Old January 17, 2011, 02:49 AM   #65
triumph666

arthritis

i had 2 major shoulder injuries after already having carpal tunnel suyndrome in my hands and wrists, the carpal caused pain and numbness but the shoulder injuries were worse...my right shoulder got pinched in between a Cat loader boom and the quick hitch bucket(due to idiot touching controls while working on it) which took 3 months of doctor visits to even move the damn arm and my right arm was ripped out of socket and ripped tendons during a 105mph+ mc crash....my doc wants surgery on both shoulders but after couple years i'm good to shoot all rifles with only moderate pain........

large calibers with metal buttstocks definately let me know i'm shooting along with the swelling lol but i endure for my love of firearms and freedom

at 32 i'm waiting for the real pain to set in haha but until then i'm still gonna play with the big guns and love the pain which lets me know i'm still alive!

and yes ibuprofen is my best friend
Old January 17, 2011, 02:52 PM   #66
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
and yes ibuprofen is my best friend
See if your doctor will prescribe Mobic (Meloxicam). I've found it works far better than Ibuprofen or even Naproxen Sodium. My chronic back pain is virtually gone with one tiny pill a day. I have no doubt it will be great for shoulders as it was prescribed for me originally for a torn biceps tendon.