The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2009, 11:45 AM   #26
grymster2007

I've never really been hunting, so depending on what kind of hunting, I'd pass up a lot of other activities if I had an opportunity to try it.
  1. I've been to a couple of professional baseball games in my time (yawn) and had season tickets for the 49ers for a few years, but these days, you couldn't pay me to walk across the street to see most any "sporting event".
  2. An afternoon with Mrs. Grymster rates pretty high on my list, but I'm sure she'd understand.
  3. I'd probably choose hunting... as long as I hadn't been shorting the missus.
Old October 8, 2009, 12:01 PM   #27
one-shot-one

You have one buddy that invites you out on hunt on the same weekend another buddy invites you to a ballgame. Which would you pick?
HUNT, DON'T EVEN HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THAT ONE!

You plan on spending an entire afternoon hunting, your best girl wants you to spend that same afternoon with her? Which would you pick?
MARRIED FOR 29 YEARS, HUNT!

You have two days of vacation left this year. Do you use them to go to a vacation resort or to a hunting cabin?
1 WEEK HUNTING 1 WEEK AT RESORT, TO MAKE UP WITH THE WFE!

How high of a priority is hunting in your life?
SURE WISH I HAD MORE TIME & PLACES TO HUNT!
Old October 8, 2009, 01:18 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

I find hunting boring. If venison, duck, pheasant and squirrel were not so delicious I would not partake. I actually started deer hunting only after I was unable to find a source for venison at less than $20/pound.
Old October 9, 2009, 02:38 PM   #29
TMUSCLE1

Great thread...for me it just depends on the occasion. I honestly enjoy hiking just as much as hunting. I enjoy walking a new hard path with a small pack and a water bottle. Not only is it relaxing to be out in the quiet, but it keeps me active as I enjoy working out.

I also enjoy a good ball game with friends, as I'm a sports fan. I will also sometimes choose to go fishing over hunting.

Last but not least, hanging with the girl is a really good time too. After a hectic week of work for both of us, it is nice to go on a walk or out somewhere with her to just spend some "real" time together. That and sometimes it is just as much fun to be active indoors.
Old October 9, 2009, 03:41 PM   #30
williamd

Had my spouse drop me about 5 miles across the ridges and I was to hikle/hunt to camp. About half way saw a doe so decided to check chamber ... nothing in chamber, nothing in pocket! Enjoyed the hike on a sunny day with an inch of snow on the pine needles.

Won my club's prize (twice) for the guy who 'went the fartherest, spent the most and shot the least!' Yukon and upper BC.

All great trips. Yep the hunting/outdoors is it. As an old (older than me!) friends sez, 'that's why they call it hunting and not killing'.

Enjoy all you can while you can!!!!!!
Old October 9, 2009, 03:56 PM   #31
FrontSight

I just might want to die if I could not hunt again. Or at least spearfish.
Old October 16, 2009, 09:11 PM   #32
cnimrod

How important is hunting to you?
Father always said you won't hunt long if all you care about is taking a deer.
Gotta love just being out in the woods. I do. Deer hunting does get you up a lot earlier to see the woods wake up.

Ballgame over hunting. Never (unless the kids are playing)

Your best girl wants you to spend that same afternoon with her.
Family does come first but she wouldn't be my best girl if she gave me that choice.

vacation resort or hunting cabin?
Hunting, unless I'm alone, the camaraderie is a big part of the appeal. After 25 plus years of hunting with pretty good success, I'm more excited to take less experienced hunters out and I work harder to get them a deer than myself.

is hunting a priority? I was more rabid about it when i was younger sometimes family commitments cause me to change plans. Following thru on commitments is more important but hunting is definitely up there.
Old October 20, 2009, 10:34 PM   #33
zahnzieh

Hunting and outdoor activities rank number 1 with me. Cant think of anything I'd rather do than bowhunt. I think I get the biggest kick out of "the stalk/set" - positioning my tree-stand just right and out-witting mr. Buck. It is sufficient for me just to see deer in an evening hunt. Kind of like the old Indians 'counting coup" getting as close to their enemies from another tribe as possible without being detected. I think people who go on canned hunts miss this aspect of hunting - it has to be MY accomplishment
Old October 20, 2009, 11:47 PM   #34
RamSlammer

Only thing that comes close for me are the far too infrequent sailing trips I get in every few years. Not a spin around a bay one afternoon, but actually going somewhere at least 500 miles over blue water via just the wind.