The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old December 17, 2002, 08:22 PM   #1
Gila Jorge

TROLLS and their Elimination

I am thinking in particular about one styled as
"unamused" under the "assume everyone lives in texas" string. On other boards this guy would be eliminated and certainly not fed as currently is the case. Just curious.....?
Old December 17, 2002, 09:02 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Gila-
Chill.
This Member has not violated any of the Policies of this site, that I can see.. More important are the following two facts:
1) Counterpoint is essential to demonstrate Point
2) We've had several staunch anti-self defense types come here, be converted and go forth to prosper...some were actually from the Rosie Boards! (Sandy, are you lurking?)

TFL is not a clubhouse. It's an info site. Personally, I like the fence-sitter and anti registrations the best.
Old May 24, 2004, 11:02 AM   #3
Fred Hansen

This may be slightly O.T. but I was just about to post a thread asking where the ignore button is. I understand that some people enjoy arguing with people who are obviously here only to make trouble. God bless and keep you all, but I have no desire to bang my head against the wall with people that have been trolling TFL/THR for years.

So, if someone could point me to the ignore button for certain members, I would be very, very happy.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old May 24, 2004, 12:01 PM   #4
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Fred,

Just find a post by that person, and click on their username. Select "View Public Profile" and the ignore option is there in one of the headers (in the middle).

Alternately, you can go into your User CP and manually enter their names into your ignore list. Don't forget to "Save."

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old May 24, 2004, 12:03 PM   #5
cma g21

"So, if someone could point me to the ignore button for certain members, I would be very, very happy."

Click on User CP.
Click on Buddy / Ignore Lists (Under Miscellaneous).
Add name(s) to be ignored.

edited to add: I've got to learn to type faster, TheBluesMan beat me to it.
Old May 24, 2004, 12:10 PM   #6
Fred Hansen

Perfect! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old May 24, 2004, 12:39 PM   #7
Greg L

Ok, so what does the "ignore" feature do? Does it remove their posts from the thread that you are viewing (while leaving them there for everyone else)? I would think that could get confusing if other people in the thread are arguing with/quoting him.

Never tried it, just curious.

Greg
Old May 24, 2004, 12:54 PM   #8
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

The ignored user's name still shows up in the thread, but these words replace his post: "This message is hidden because {username} is on your ignore list." There is a link supplied in each post that lets you view it in case you change your mind.

And yes, it would get confusing when other members quote the missing post.
Old May 24, 2004, 01:40 PM   #9
joab

Personally I think the "trolls" are a valuable source of information. Or more to the point they generate discussions that provide me with valuable arguements to counter those I meet in real life that share their opinions.
I say troll on it always helps to know what the other sides thinks, and if I wanted to go someplace where every body agreed with everything I said I would stay at home with the toddlers
Old May 24, 2004, 01:57 PM   #10
Ben Swenson

joab,
I think there is an important difference between people who hold and defend opinions that we may not like or agree with and trolls. "Troll" tends to refer to individuals who post a contentious or offensive post and then run away, or defend their post by being even sillier.

For instance, someone who posts on here saying "I want to make a machine gun to murder babies like all NRA members do." would be a troll.

Agricola, on the other hand, is someone who I may not agree with, and who holds views that I think can be downright silly, but defends his position factually and logically and doesn't just post to irritate people. Thus, he's not a troll in my book.
Old June 2, 2004, 11:05 PM   #11
Ironbarr

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

We sometimes find a way to convert the naysayers, particularly after they've had a bad day.

FWTV - For Whatever The Value
...When seconds count, most help is just minutes away.