The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2008, 09:17 PM   #1
enstorm

L&L Case Feed Tuning

I set up my L&L with an auto case feeder, vblock and shell plate for .40 S&W. I have not set up dies yet, but the timing seems to be on. The instructions for the feeder are vague throughout, and pretty bad at the end stages.

The v block keeps catching on the outside corners of the shell plate, one side catches going in and the other going out. When I get things adjusted so that this doesn't happen, the test cases don't slip into the shell holder but one side always rides above the holder edge rather than going under. I have tweaked the vblock against the case and tightened per instructions without correcting the problems. The manual just says "readjust v block" for fixes of various possibly related problems, but that is hardly helpful. Any suggestions?

Also, the manual says that when using the small feed tube for the
.40, "you will have to use the Plastic Feed Tube Small Bushing (#66), see pages 25 and 26." Needless to say, pages 25 and 26 say nothing about this, and the diagram isn't helpful. What are they talking about?
Old August 16, 2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Wilburt

As i just recently set my case feeder up i sorta remember what you are talking about. That refer to page 25 had nothing on it IIRC like you said. However you need to look at the inside diameter of the pipes and use the ones designed for small pistol? i hear 40 s&w is interchangable with case feed plates. The picture attached it what it is supposed to look like.

Luckily i didn't have that vblock problem. I remember it didn't work until i adjusted the wire it travels on and it took a bit to get it right. the v-block was confusing but i just butted up agaist the case (45 ACP) it worked.

i suggest you call hornady as they can best anwser your questions.

Also i suggest taking a look at this review by m1911.org. It helped me a bit:

Review

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cf10.jpg (70.9 KB, 5 views)