The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 9, 2014, 03:10 PM   #1
2ndchance

Mini-Dot on Handgun Slides... do you like?

I'm looking for responses from seasoned users of this: Please read on.

I've seen a LOT of images of Glocks, M&Ps, FHN, and other handguns that are running a RMR or similar micro-red dot. I've read both the pros and cons. I'm thinking of building a Glock 17L or 41 and doing a RMR with (suppressor) rear sight in front of the RMR. I'm pretty set on using the RMR because of the fiber optic (no battery benefit).

This question is for those have have been running a setup like this for over a year, because you should be well over the "trying to get use to it" phase.

1. How do you like it now?
2. Which dot do you have and how has it held up?
3. You've made a big investment on this. If you had to do it all over again, would you?

Old June 9, 2014, 03:29 PM   #2
JN01

1. How do you like it now?
Still love it
2. Which dot do you have and how has it held up?
I have the RM02 model with the 8 mil dot, haven't had any issues with it. I chose the battery operated model as the batteries are easily replaced (good for 2-3 years, but I change them annually). The tritium models will eventually get dim which will necessitate replacing the whole sight.
3. You've made a big investment on this. If you had to do it all over again, would you?
Yes
Old June 9, 2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

I think it is an acquired taste. I have tried it and found it to be a difficult way to sight, but I understand those that have learned and become accustomed to red dots on slides really like them.

If you are thinking of trying it, don't be surprised if it doesn't feel natural. You may need to stick with it for a while.
Old June 9, 2014, 04:32 PM   #4
2ndchance

Yeah. I feel ya. That's why I was looking for opinions from users who has 12mo experience with theirs.
Old June 10, 2014, 12:06 AM   #5
Slopemeno

I took about six months to adjust to a dot sight on my race gun. I had tracked my performance pretty closely and my scores suffered initially, but gradually rebounded, then exceeded my previous levels.

I'd focus on- acquiring the dot. Work on your draw-and-fires and your shot-to-shot tracking of the dot.

My dot sight setup was waay more stone-age than the mini-dots that are available these days, but the differences are minimal.
Old June 10, 2014, 12:17 AM   #6
2ndchance

Good info. Keep em' coming.
Old June 10, 2014, 01:05 AM   #7
L2A3

I have used RMR mounted pistols since early 2011 to address aging eyes; until I found I could get a LASIK 'adjustment' the 'dot' was more like a glowing kidney, but it helped me regain some confidence in my ability to hit well. This *really* improved once I was seeing the dot that much better after the adjustment.

I have returned to iron sights in the past 8 months, not because of the RMR sight system, but because I wanted something with a hammer for AIWB carry - a completely different subject - and my preferences won't work well for a milled slide RMR installation.

To address your questions -

1. *How do you like it now?

Still like it, but not using it presently.

2. *Which dot do you have and how has it held up?

I prefer the RM02 with 8 MOA (now might be 6?) for ruggedness with no issues to date - all mine are set up with both suppressor height sights in front on the RMR so they are in the same "TV screen" view.

3. *You've made a big investment on this. If you had to do it all over again, would you?

This is the tough question because as long as the LASIK adjustment holds I am currently satisfied with both my speed and accuracy using "the old ways," but being a sucker for the cool, I really like the whole "Tom Swift and His Electric Gun Sights" thing...

Not quite an answer, but I do find myself looking at the slide on this new Sphinx SDP and wondering if it has enough slide to work with assuming I am happy with the base pistol and willing to cut up a semi-exotic vs a Glock or M&P.
Old June 10, 2014, 08:19 AM   #8
kutz

Been using em for years, still love em.
Old June 10, 2014, 09:13 AM   #9
savagecornmuffin

I love it. I had to opportunity to run 300 rds through a friend's glock 17 topped with a RMR. This one had the 12mil delta. It took about 200 rounds to get acclimated, but once I got the hang of it, I loved it. I was able to stay on target easily out to 50 yards. I think I could do better with practice. I've always wanted an automatic pistol for hunting, but quick target acquisition and accuracy as distance has always held me back. I could really see myself enjoying a long slide 10mm topped with a Deltpoint. Put the tip of the pyramid on the target and squeeze. Too, easy. I wish I could afford one right now.
Old June 10, 2014, 10:41 AM   #10
nc-oldfart

I have no experience with the reflex sights but better than 20 years of active hunting with a red dot. on a DW revolver. 1" red dot on a 357 for 20 years and now a 44 dw with a burris 135 speed dot. It takes some getting use to but does make for fast on target shooting. Or fast on hog shooting in my case.

You should watch the dot size seems many speed events use a little larger dot than I like . I used a 2min dot. It was fine for me as I was not often in the open bright day light. Mostly under some tree cover to heavy cover.
Old June 10, 2014, 11:57 AM   #11
Wyosmith

I HATE the way they look and the fact that special holsters have to be used with them.

But---------my friend Randy has one on a custom CZ.
I shot his and lo and behold, I can shoot almost as well as I could shoot in my 30s again.

Hummmmmmmm

I may fall in love with them if I am not careful.

Now days with iron sights I am doing very well to keep 100% of my shot into a 4" circle at 25 yards.
With Randy’s gun I was shooting at spent 12 gauge shells at 35 to 65 yards and I went through 4 magazines of ammo. I missed only 4 shot in 4 mags. I shot a paper target at o 17 yards with his gun and put 10 shots through one hole about the size of a quarter.

I still want to hate them, but I am having a lot of trouble doing it.
Old June 11, 2014, 06:11 AM   #12
WC145

I've been carrying an RMR02 (8MOA dot) equipped FNP45 Tactical on duty and also using it as my house gun for a couple of years now. The sight has functioned perfectly the entire time and has held up quite well, no issues with it. the 8MOA dot is a good compromise between speed of acquisition and precision, I wouldn't want anything smaller for self defense.

"Getting used to it" is partly mindset and realizing that when using any of the mini red dot sights you have to go from front sight focused shooting to target focused shooting. That means that rather than focusing on your front sight alignment in the rear notch and it's position on a blurry target, you are focusing instead on your target and superimposing the dot on it so both your target and the dot will be in focus. If you try to focus on the dot it doesn't work so well.

I found that acquiring the dot quickly and consistently required me to change my presentation slightly. I used to swing the gun up into my line of sight in a bit of an arc as I drew it and I would find myself hunting for the dot. I changed my draw stroke so that I now draw the gun straight up and then press it out into my line of sight. This helped dramatically not only with acquiring the dot but it has also made me faster and more consistent with iron sights. Also, having the dot cowitnessed with the suppressor sights on my gun is a big help, like training wheels. As you practice your presentation, focusing on the front sight as you normally would you find the dot is right there once the sights are aligned, with practice you transition from looking at the front sight to focusing on the target knowing that the dot will show up on it as you present the gun. If you have any experience with red dots or holographic sights on rifles it makes it easier as long a you remember to treat it the same as on a rifle - both eyes open, focused on the target, superimpose the dot on the target where you want the bullet to go - there isn't anything different having it on a pistol, you just have to wrap your head around the idea since most of it aren't accustomed to such a set up.

I like the set up a lot. It is fast and I am more accurate at longer distances, able to make shots that I wouldn't even have considered before. Also, I feel that being able to stay focused on my target is a huge advantage from the self defense perspective. It isn't practical for me to try and set all of my carry guns up this way but for duty carry and home defense I think the RMR is a great tool and a worthwhile addition.

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Last edited by WC145; June 11, 2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old June 11, 2014, 06:51 AM   #13
ammo.crafter

dot, dot dot

The red dots are the best thing to come down the pike for shooters having vision problems,

Personally, my scores have increased drastically with the dot; so much so that they are now on all competition handguns,

Initial adjustment is being able to "find" the red dot when the timer goes off or the target turns.
Old June 11, 2014, 05:09 PM   #14
JN01

Quote:
having the dot cowitnessed with the suppressor sights on my gun is a big help, like training wheels
Great analogy.
Old June 11, 2014, 11:42 PM   #15
bbqncigars

Well, it ain't on the slide, but my Fastfire III on my S&W 41 is like a lead laser. You can put a bullet anywhere the red dot is. It makes shooting small pieces of clay pigeons at sixty yards fairly easy for an old coot.