The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 2, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Flashover2011

Duracoat or Replace?

Ok so I recently aquired a cheap ATI Mil-Spec 1911. The guy who I got it from sanded off the original front sight and replaced it with some fiber optic sight with metal epoxy. He did a poor job. It was purchased in the middle of February this year 2013, and it has major holster wear on the slide. I would love to replace the slide but I don't know where to get it, any help there?
Also the other option is that I can do the duracoat, but I haven't done it before... How easy is that?

Last edited by Spats McGee; June 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: removing profanity
Old June 2, 2013, 11:51 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

Duracoat it but get someone who does this and you outcome will be good don't let a amateur do it .
Old June 3, 2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Saltydog235

Take your time, prep everything the right way. Tape off anything you don't want the coating on. Check your prep and make any corrections you need to. Get a place to hang it up where you can work around it but leave it for a while to cure. Follow the instructions exactly and you will be fine. It doesn't take someone charging you a big price to do it or do it well, it isn't very hard to do.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Roughedge

you can get a new slide at Brownells but it will have to be fit. I duracoated the first 1911 I built because I didnt have my blueing tanks yet but if I redo it I will blue slide and frame .
Old June 3, 2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Scorch

The front sight needs to be mounted properly. Just because someone did not understand how to do it is no reason to continue with the same. Refinishing the slide is easy if you either have the skill or know a good refinisher. I would recommend GunKote over DuraCoat, it goes on thinner and is very durable. Contact Summit Arms Services (link in my signature), they do a great job.
Old June 8, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
easyliven88

Duracoat pretty simple

Duracoating is a pretty simple process, like the post before me just follow the instructions and your project will turn out like new...Here is a link on Duracoat application, short and sweet......Good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co70MNG6JiU
Old June 8, 2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Duracoat can be done, but you just have to adhere to the instructions.

The front sight is generally riveted or staked in, so one would have to remove the epoxied one, then using a bent punch, you drive it out from the inside, then you have to re-stake the new one with a staking tool made for it. Anyone working on 1911's will have the tools to do it.