The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 1, 2007, 07:55 PM   #1
superfast61821

My car has just been stolen Can I shoot IT?

It's late I am getting ready to leave for work and I forget something I run Back into the house leaving the car running in the driveway parking lot whatever. An oportunists walks by jumps in my vehicle and takes off. Am I able or legally allowed to fire on my own vehicle in an attempt to slow it down (tires) make it more identifiable for law enforcement rear window and side panels. Or if lucky strike the thief.
Old December 1, 2007, 08:21 PM   #2
rickdavis81

Pretty sure not in Missouri. My truck was stolen last summer. I would have liked to have caught them doing it. Some one else had a truck stolen just south of me and he opened up on them as they drove off. They found the truck wrecked with a bullet hole in the driver seat and blood. Later the perp was found at the hospital. Alive. Not sure if the victim was charged with the shooting or not. Hope not.
Old December 1, 2007, 08:22 PM   #3
rampage841512

I don't think so.
Old December 1, 2007, 08:33 PM   #4
BillCA

Seriously doubtful.

First, your life is in no danger. Unless you can articulate knowledge that the thief is an immediate danger to others in the community, your options are very limited.

I'll also add that as much as you might want to shoot the lowlife scum-bucket who's stealing your car, just think about it for a minute. If a round hits him in the head, it's going to take a professional several days and hundreds of dollars, to blot the guy's brains off the dash and disinfect the interior. Even a torso wound may bleed heavily all over your lovely grey/tan leather interior.

In any case... yer gonna be late for work.
Old December 1, 2007, 08:44 PM   #5
tomh1426

I think Its ok in Texas
Old December 1, 2007, 08:47 PM   #6
superfast61821

OK placing others in danger.
Let's say the trunk is full of High powered rifles and shotguns and body armor. Now granted in this situation i wouldn't have been iresponsible enough to leave the car running and accesable. Or even if it's just one gun.
Old December 1, 2007, 08:55 PM   #7
heatho

I remember this happening here in Washington a few years back and I think the guy was charged. He ended up killing a 16 year old.

I understand the anger and not wanting to give up the car to a thief... but I wouldn't think taking someone's life is worth a car. Better to turn the car off and take the keys next time.

If you run out after him and he aims the car at you... then thats a different story.
Old December 1, 2007, 09:09 PM   #8
superfast61821

OK perhaps I didn't specify clearly I don't want to shoot hurt kill the scumbag who stole my car I simply want to slow it down or make it easier to identify.
There is nothing that attracts a cops attention like a car with broken glass and bullet holes being driven by a shakey driver.
Old December 1, 2007, 09:12 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

In general I would recommend not shooting at all in situations where deadly force is not warranted.
Old December 1, 2007, 09:18 PM   #10
TargetTerror

Quote:
In general I would recommend not shooting at all in situations where deadly force is not warranted.
Amen.
Old December 1, 2007, 09:22 PM   #11
mountainclmbr

It would be a different story if there were a child or another person still inside as that would be stopping an abduction. Otherwise the risk of being charged and the cost of legal defense, even if you win in court, will make the car seem cheap.
Old December 1, 2007, 10:50 PM   #12
Boris Bush

Even if I could I wouldn't. They make new ones every day. If it was within the law and you wanted to then I say go for it.....
Old December 1, 2007, 10:55 PM   #13
ISC

It depends on the State. In Florida we have something called the castle doctrine that says that we have the right to protect our home and property. Its the same in some other states. In some places like Ma. you are required to flee your own home through a window rather than protect it.
Old December 1, 2007, 11:09 PM   #14
superfast61821

SCREW THAT!!!!
I had an employer once try to tell me that
"there is nothing wrong with a tactful retreat"
The only retreat i am making is to heavier firepower or more ammo.
I am fond of the phrase House rules. My house my Rules.
Old December 2, 2007, 01:48 AM   #15
Luis Leon

Don't shoot...

One example I posed to friends or family that are left of center on 2nd Amendment issues is: If somone stole my idling car from my driveway, I would not shoot at them, I would just call the police. But, if the same scenario occur where my family or myself were threatened with imminent harm, all bets are off, and its shoot them to the ground.

Superfast,

Shooting at a fleeing auto seems like a bad idea, have you considered the possibility of wounding or killing an innocent bystander?

regards,

Luis Leon
Old December 2, 2007, 09:02 AM   #16
kgpcr

Dont start throwing bullets around the neighborhood because you were an idiot. to great a chance of a round ending up where you dont want it. Not a wise play.
Smith M&P 40
Old December 2, 2007, 09:04 AM   #17
Hemicuda

Quote: Boris Bush "Even if I could I wouldn't. They make new ones every day. If it was within the law and you wanted to then I say go for it....."

I can asure you that they do NOT make new '70 Hemi'Cuda convertibles every day... they only made 29 of them in 1970!

When mine was stolen (later recovered and returned to me, with severe body damage) I'd have shot that SOB dead... if I could have... I did the restoration (to award-winning "concourse" level) MYSELF... it took me over 20 years... and he took it away from me... from a locked garage with an alarm...

I KNOW this is a bad attitude, but I still feel that way...

BTW, the thief who took the 'Cuda is dead now... he was shot by police in the raid that got me the 'Cuda back...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old December 2, 2007, 09:24 AM   #18
12-34hom

Grow up.

SCREW THAT!!!!
I had an employer once try to tell me that
"there is nothing wrong with a tactful retreat"
The only retreat i am making is to heavier firepower or more ammo.
I am fond of the phrase House rules. My house my Rules

Is that what you will tell a jury - if something goes wrong with shooting up your stolen car as it drives away?

Ever hear of insurance?

Being a responsible gun owner is your duty.

"Or if lucky strike the thief" Do you really believe that your car is worth shooting someone for?

If so, you got real problems.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old December 2, 2007, 10:49 AM   #19
DesertDawg

In your scenario, you should place a sign on your car that reads "STEAL ME!" before running into the house.

A few years ago, there was a police pursuit of a "traffic violator". The officers in the pursuit were able to get the license plate of the vehicle, and the dispatcher ran it for "wants & warrants". It came back "clean", but....a few seconds later, an officer blared out over the police radio, "Don't shoot it! That's MY car!".

The pursuit didn't last very long, and the driver/suspect was taken into custody without any problems. It turned out that he (the suspect) had hopped a wall and "jimmied" the door of the car, then he disabled the steering wheel locking device and "hot-wired" the ignition. The suspect was unaware of the fact that the wall he had climbed over surrounded a police station where officers were allowed to park their privately-owned vehicles!

Shoot at your OWN car to "mark it for I.D."? HAHA! Cars have more "I.D." marks on them than you may be aware of! Besides the license plates and vehicle identification number (VIN), there are several "hidden" VIN numbers in various locations of ALL vehicles.
Old December 2, 2007, 01:25 PM   #20
ZeSpectre

Quote:
In your scenario, you should place a sign on your car that reads "STEAL ME!" before running into the house.
Okay, hold up a minute.
Statements like this are flat out WRONG. I don't care how STUPID someone is you never, NEVER, blame a victim for the actions of a criminal.

Someone could walk down the street with $100 bills hanging out of their pockets and while they might be guilty of being stupid, it's not criminal, AND "good" people won't do anything to that person. Even in that extreme scenario it takes a CRIMINAL to create a problem.

Crime is the fault of the criminal, not the victim...period.
Old December 2, 2007, 01:28 PM   #21
Manedwolf

I had Lojack installed. I would call the number, the tracking beacon would be activated, and the police would close in on them quickly. This would make it far more likely they'll be arrested and that I'll get the car back unhurt, since they tend to take them to drop points.
Old December 2, 2007, 01:34 PM   #22
HankB

The state you live in makes a HUGE difference in the answer to your question.

States like TX tend to side with the victim or intended victim of a crime.

States like CA, IL, MA, MD, and the District of Columbia do not.

Probably a matter of which part of society do the politicians most closely identify with.
Old December 2, 2007, 01:58 PM   #23
wayneinFL

This happened in Miami once. A guy short out his own tires when someone stole his car. He lost a big lawsuit after the car thief wrecked and killed some woman.
Old December 2, 2007, 02:07 PM   #24
IdahoG36

I say let the police do their job. They will have a vehicle description and license plate number to find your vehicle. In the mean time, if it's just your car that was stolen, no family members in the vehicle, just let it go. That is why you pay auto insurance. With the legal fees involved if you had to go to court, you could have bought a new Ferarri to replace your stolen car.

Quote:
States like CA, IL, MA, MD, and the District of Columbia do not.
These states create a haven for criminals by restricting handgun ownership by responsible citizens. Their gun laws do not cut down on crime. DC is still the most dangerous place to live in America. They are in the process of allowing handgun ownership again. I wouldn't live in any of the above states for anything.
Old December 2, 2007, 03:51 PM   #25
jfrey123

Quote:
I run Back into the house leaving the car running in the driveway parking lot whatever. An oportunists walks by jumps in my vehicle and takes off

Stupid senario, IMO. Yes, in a perfect world we would all drive convertables with no locking doors and be able to leave the keys in the ignition. But let's face reality here: you don't leave your debit card at Best Buy with the pin number on the back, do you? Just because someone takes advantage of your grave mistake concerning property does not give the right to stop them with lethal force.