The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1
Namerifrats

Help with .223 Min OAL problem

Ok guys, need a bit of help here. Up until now I've only loaded handgun bullets. I'm wanting to load for some of my rifles as well. I'm starting with the .223 (5.56) for my AR-15. Actually was in the process of loading when I hit a snag. In my load manual it states Minimum OAL to be 2.24 for a 45gr Jacketed Bullet. I was seating a bullet for the first time and didn't even quite have it to the crimp groove and checked it and it was already down to 2.10, and thats not even seated to the crimp groove now, so what's the problem. Maybe I have the wrong bullets, I have a box of Hornady 22 Cal .224 45 GR HP/BEE bullets, #2229. Are these only for something like the 22-250 or what. I pulled the bullet I seated and will wait until I hear something. I measured a military FMJ 5.56 round and it was right at 2.25. Other info, I'm using H4895 powder, 25.1 grains (right at the starting load) and the case is full to the top of the shoulder, that concerned me a bit too.
Old November 2, 2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Red_Eagle

According to the Hornady manual, #2229 Bee is rated for 1500-3100 f/ps. The largest caliber they showed was 221 Remington fireball. Most of the start loads I seen for 223 was 3,100 f/ps. Thats not a max load for the cartridge, but it is for the bullet. I'm not seeing any any Hornady's with a cannalure except a 55gr SP and a FMJ, and a 70 gr SP. The Bee has a cannalure because 218 Bee was originally chambered in the Winchester 94 and Marlin 336 lever action rifles. That also accounts for the shape of the tip.
Old November 3, 2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Namerifrats

So I got the wrong bullets, lol. Oh well, I still have a use for those. I bought them originally to use in 30 Caliber Sabots that I fire out of my CZ52. Makes a super high velocity round. So I'll go out this evening and pick up some bullets I can use in my AR15. Any reccomendations?
Old November 3, 2007, 06:47 PM   #4
CrustyFN

I like to buy at least 55 grain bullets and have also used a lot of 62 grain. They both shot very good in my RRA 1:9 twist. If you are just plinking then the Hornady or other standard FMJ will work. If you are going to get into serious target shooting then the Nosler ballistic tips work pretty good. I order online because I can get them a lot cheaper. If you want to buy online check out http://www14.inetba.com/tandtreloadi...trelrg6riBhqJ2, they have the Hornady 55 grain FMJBT for a pretty good price.
Rusty
Old November 4, 2007, 01:59 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

4895 is too slow for the light bullets. Get some Reloader 10X if you want to keep playing wth them. It is specifically designed for them. 4198 is also good with the very light ones.

I've done a lot of match shooting with the .223. If you have the time deburr the flashholes to get good ball powder ignition, then I can recommend AA2230 for the lighter bullets and W748 for the heavier bullets. If you don't have the time for flashhole deburring, stay with the stick powders. Varget works well with the heavier bullets (i.e., the 77 grains Sierra MatchKing).

As to overall length: There is no minimum except what stops feeding in your magazine. It is usually recommended you seat any bullet at least one caliber into the case mouth for accuracy. Keep in mind that as you seat deeper, you are consuming powder space, so pressure increases. Work up the load for new seating depths as needed.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 4, 2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Namerifrats

I bought some 50gr Sierra HP "TNT" and Hornady 52gr BT A-MAx bullets. I wasn't really worried abou dealing with a lighter bullet so much, they're just some I had sitting around and figured they should work ok. I'll just keep those for Sabot rounds.