The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2007, 01:33 AM   #1
mrawesome22

Cost of handloading .40S&W

I bought a 100rnd box of Winchester white box, 165gr FMJ for $18.99 plus tax. So I get online to buy everything I'll need to start reloading this cartridge and I go to bullets. 155gr Hornady XTP 100ct for $14.99 plus shipping Even if I bought the cheap plated stuff for $8.99 100ct, the shipping would put it right back up to $16.99. Plus I still have to buy dies, powder, brass, and primers. For all I need it to do, plinking and coyote hunting backup gun, this white box Winchester ammo is what I'll be using. I'd really like to roll my own, but I'm not going to spend more money than I have to. And I doubt I could make any semi-auto pistol more accurate with my handloads so it looks like factory ammo is the better way to go on this cartridge.
Old February 2, 2007, 08:15 AM   #2
ECLIPSE45ACP

a little math for you

Before I sarted reloading, I felt the same way you did. I reload 45 ACP and 9mm. Basically 45 acp costs 27$ and some change + tax for 100 ct WWB. that equates to over 300$ for 1000 rds. Now, I do work at a sporting good store and receive a discount on my primers and powder, but not much. So for primers and powder I am paying around 33$ to do 1000 rds. 1000 rds of Ranier 230 grn RN plated run me 72$ + tax. Plus range pickup brass=free.

thats about 105$ for300$ in factory ammo. and I honestly feel mine groups tighter.

9mm same scenario 15.88$ + tax for 100 ct WWB so about 170$ after tax.

48$ + tax for 1000 rds 115 grn ranier.
33$ for primer and powder
range brass free
81$ for 1000 rds, 8.10 per box compared to almost 17$ for WWB

the equipment will pay for itself in around 2000 rds depending what you get.
hope this helps.
Old February 2, 2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Voyager AL

I buy RN lead 500/25 to 28 dollars a box. Local picup at cabela's, or Sportsmans Warehouse, or a local reloading shop. mailorder will kill ya.
Old February 2, 2007, 03:38 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Yeah, shipping is killing me. And the only store around that sells reloading supplies has a very limited selection. They don't carry the cheap plated bullets. Only the expensive jacketed stuff. No ranges around here so I would have to buy brass. Again, store doesn't carry .40S&W brass so I'd have to mail order. Oh well, maybe I'll open my own store
Old February 2, 2007, 05:28 PM   #5
dakotashooter2

First go to your local store and see if they will ad what you want to their next order. You may have to prepay and wait for it a bit longer but it will be cheaper than mail order. As far as brass go down to your local law enforcement and ask them what they do with their brass from their qualifying. I get a coffee can full of 40 cal from my local PD about twice a year, though it helps that I work for the city and have nearly daily contact with them. Never hurts to ask.

I also cast my own bullets so my cost is closer to $3/50.

any reloader will tell you reloading doesn't cost you any less it just lets you shoot more. More bang for your buck.
Old February 2, 2007, 07:40 PM   #6
tlm225

It cost me about $136.00 to load a thousand rounds. I don't count the cost of the dies or other tools since they will be used again and again. This cost is based on $96.00 for remington JHP, one carton of primers and one pound of powder. Loading lead bullets would reduce my cost for bullets by almost half.
Old February 2, 2007, 08:16 PM   #7
scsov509

I've had the same experience of finding little cost savings in some calibers. One thing I've found, is that if cost is the bottom line then there are always ways to save and get the cost down. For me personally, I enjoy loading my own and find its worth the time even if my cost savings is relatively small. Plus with a situation like what you're saying here, I think there's a pretty big difference between Hornady 155 XTP and WWB 165 FMJ. If the cost is the same then I'd rather have hand-loaded XTP than WWB any day, especially if you're wanting something versatile like you suggest. But again, that's just me. The truth is that I've never saved a lot reloading, because even when I can load cheaper I just end up shooting more .
Old February 2, 2007, 09:50 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Well if it was a rifle it would be a different story. I would gladly pay more for my custom handloaded rifle rounds. But my rifle rounds only cost me about 1/5th what premium factory rounds cost. I guess what it really boils down to is time. Putting all that time and energy into something that is going to cost the same as store bought just isn't worth it. And I don't really need super accurate ammo either. Don't get me wrong. I love reloading. But I love it because I can try to find that perfect powder charge with the perfect OAL. Costing far less is just a perk. As has been said before. This el-cheapo stuff does everything I need it to do. And it cost about the same as handloaded would cost me. Minus the time and energy. If I was loading for competition or super accuracy, I would definitely handload this round. If my local store starts carrying cheaper bullets, I will start loading it also.
Old February 2, 2007, 09:54 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"The truth is that I've never saved a lot reloading, because even when I can load cheaper, I end up shooting more."

So, what's the down side to that? I thought that was the point of reloading!
I reload pistol because I see an improvement in accuracy, can choose the cleanest burning powder(easier cleaning, less time consumed), and pick the best bullet for my gun and appication.
You may not save much money up front, but a little here and there adds up.
Check MidwayUSA for once fired brass. It's cheap to build up your brass collection and they only charge shipping. Even at that, they don't hit you on upcharging an unGodly amount to make a buck.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 2, 2007, 09:56 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

You do have a valid point on time consumption to reload. But, remembering on another thread you started:
If you end up getting a 10mm, then reloading that round might be worth considering.

Old February 2, 2007, 10:43 PM   #11
mrawesome22

10MM would defintely be worth reloading. .45ACP also. Those factory rounds are much higher than .40S&W. I've never saved any money reloading either. But I've got to shoot a hell of a lot more for the same price. This .40S&W, I'd be shooting the same amount for about the same price, plus have all that time and effort in it. Time I could have spent loading some awesome, cheap, .22-250Rem rounds LOL I did look on Midway and they had 1000 once fired grade 3 for $25 something, but all the reviews said that they had bulges because they were fired out of Glock's. Anyway, the bullet prices are the real drawback. If I could find a great deal on 5000 bullets, then that would probably push me into it.
Old February 2, 2007, 10:55 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Considered lead bullets? Hard lead, of course. Then load to about 1000fps to keep the barrel clean?

Old February 2, 2007, 11:16 PM   #13
mrawesome22

I have actually. But once again, shipping charges kill it. And I don't want to cast lead anywhere near my two children. I remember me and my Dad casting jig heads when I was a young child. I can't believe I was able to have kids of my own after all that LOL. But as I get older I'm sure the reprocutions of that will rear their heads. So far I am the epitomy of health though.
Old February 2, 2007, 11:28 PM   #14
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Haven't researched the shipping, but what I meant was bullets already casted. Sold by, you guessed it, Midway.(Just in case you didn't notice, I love that company ). Understand where you're coming from on casting your own with kids around.

Old February 2, 2007, 11:30 PM   #15
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I know I keep bringing up possible solutions that are still a problem for you (ie. shipping). But I'm just trying to brainstorm ideas that may not have been considered.

Old February 3, 2007, 12:08 AM   #16
mrawesome22

That's what I was talking about. Pre-cast bullets from Midway LOL. They are cheap but shipping kills it. I really appreciate all the ideas though. I love Midway also. I'm placing an order as I type LOL.
Old February 3, 2007, 12:16 AM   #17
Shane Tuttle
Staff

That's funny. I just got an email from them and viewing their Cabin Fever prices. They just gave me a good break on my items in my wish list. Looks like I'm right behind ya!
Checked cheaperthandirt.com for S&B ammo? Maybe the shipping, hazmat, and cost will be under the radar if you buy bulk.

Old February 3, 2007, 06:33 AM   #18
mjrodney

I am fortunate enough to have a commercial bullet caster near my home.

Since I buy in large quantities at a time, however, it would still be worth my while to drive a few hours should a caster operate some distance away.

Check with your local gun shops and ask if they know of a commercial bullet caster within a few hours driving distance.

One or two trips a year should pay for itself fairly quickly.
Old February 4, 2007, 06:59 AM   #19
RERICK

Berry's doesn't charge to ship bullets.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/