The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 21, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
BerdanSS

BP Brush Gun?

Anyone have/made one?
Old February 21, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
BerdanSS

Good Lord....174 views and nobody? Guess I'm officially crazy

Well why not go full bore then? How about a third grader like photoshop of the impending massacre

23" to 18" (maybe 16.5") relocate the rear sight annnnd....CAMO of course!

No bubba'n involved. Barrel cut concentric, properly re-crowned. All screw holes filled and metal refinished (as needed) maybe add ghost ring rear sight.
This is a CVA staghorn Magnum.

Last edited by BerdanSS; February 21, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

There's a guy who has a CVA Bobcat listed FS in the FS/WTB section right now that looks like it would be a good little "brush gun"!

Oh, my . . . . wait a minute . . that's you!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 21, 2013, 06:20 PM   #4
BerdanSS

HA! and it's sold too. Wanted something to use pellets with and get away from loose powder for quick hunts
Old February 21, 2013, 07:03 PM   #5
mykeal

Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine
.54 cal, 21" 1:48 barrel

OR:
Traditions Fox River 50
.50 cal, 23" 1:48 barrel
Old February 21, 2013, 07:19 PM   #6
deerslayer303

SHORTY!!

Here is my brush gun. Cabela's / Investarms Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine,.58 Cal, 22 inch barrel, 1:48" twist rate! I LOVE this rifle, it shoots pretty dog gone good too with either Lee R.E.A.L bullets or patched round ball.

Here is Cabela's link with a better pic, my picture does the rifle NO justice, it really is beautiful. I don't think Cabela's will carry them any more, and the .58 cal. was discontinued long before the .50 and .54

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...oductId=727321
Old February 21, 2013, 07:24 PM   #7
BerdanSS

Slayer, I remember looking at those all the time in the cabela's catalog. They look like beautiful little guns.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
deerslayer303

Quote:
Wanted something to use pellets with and get away from loose powder for quick hunts
Nonsense, I'll bet you a fat rat to a funky monkey I can load that carbine as fast as you can with those fancy new fangled pellets!
Old February 21, 2013, 08:56 PM   #9
BerdanSS

To be truthful, I've never been a fan of pellets either (to date I've never used them), and this is only the second inline I've had my entire life. I'd bet $100 you can load as fast as the pellets.... Believe you me, I'm pretty dang quick with powder and a miniball too. As a honer roll graduate of Hardee's light infantry tactics 101, I can crank out the heat...while moving.....in formation

I just for some reason feel better about leaving an inline with pellets loaded for a few days if I have to...more so than powder in a side-lock. Misplaced thought maybe?

My deer hunting is like speed dating. My job requires me to get quantity over quality I may go every other day....one week I went everyday but Sunday. But it's only from before sun up till about 10am. So very often this year, I found myself hiking out of the woods with a loaded sidelock smoke pole. That would be the main goal behind this inline. Quick, light handy and can get a straight shot from the muzzle the the breach with minimal tools and dissembling.

Otherwise I'd love nothing more then to go out "properly" garbed with a Lancaster school flinter more often...Maybe some day I get the time But for this year I want to maximize the time I have.

And the cool part of this is...right after starting this thread (seriously, like five minuets after), I was contacted by an individual that lived only minuets from me, with the perfect CVA Staghorn "donor" rifle for the project. And at a price that couldn't be passed up

Last edited by BerdanSS; February 21, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:06 PM   #10
deerslayer303

Oh I totally under stand your point, no doubt, I was just messin with ya a little. I WISH one of these Smoke pole manufacturer's would make me a Side lock with a REMOVABLE breech plug / lug. That way you could have the traditional "look" with the modern ease of cleaning and unloading. Just my take, I know the traditional guys will scoof at this. But it would be a cool feature.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:09 PM   #11
BerdanSS

Mykeal,

I got my Dad a Traditions .54 caliber Deer Hunter for this past Christmas, looks just like That Fox River 50. After "customizing" it a little of course New oil rubbed finish and took the thick flat black "paint" looking crud off the barrel and blued it. Still need a nice set of sights for it.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:11 PM   #12
BerdanSS

slayer,

Man that would be nice...The only side-lock I've ever seen with a breech plug that would even budge, was my dads Limited edition "cougar" TC Hawkin.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:17 PM   #13
Moloch

Get a M1841 Mississippi rifle repro in either .58 or .54! Lots of ooomph in a really small and handy package, and it looks damn good too!

Old February 21, 2013, 09:21 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Parker Hale Enfield Musketoon. 24" barrel of .577 caliber goodness.
http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...ield-Musketoon

(not mine, but I have one like it but without the sling)
Old February 21, 2013, 09:22 PM   #15
woodnbow

I like that White Mountain, have my eye out for one all the time in .54 just like yours.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:40 PM   #16
BerdanSS

Oh believe me Gary. The Enfield musketoon has been in my top 3 Black Powder wants for a Looonng time. I have an original 1853 3 band that was cut down to a musketoon or artillery carbine. I just have other higher on "the list". There is a un fired, NIB 1970s Parker hail at the LGS. It's drop dead gorges, and I drool over it every time I go in there....just not the $789 price tag. I found one last year for $375 on line and missed it by a few minuets
Old February 22, 2013, 01:59 AM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

I paid about $375 for mine at the SF Gun Exchange on 2nd Street. That was many years ago.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:47 AM   #18
the Black Spot

I had a cva .50 barrel that was 28" and i cut it down to 21" recrowned it and shot a few squirrels with it
Old February 22, 2013, 08:19 AM   #19
Doc Hoy

I am a plinker and not now, nor have I ever been a hunter.....

....But when I went with my uncle, back in the day, he liked his 30-30 a 336 Marlin as a brush rifle because it was short and light, he chose a rather heavy slug, he did not need to reach out very far where he hunted in southeastern PA so no scope was needed. The MV was somewhat low so the the trajectory was not disturbed by twigs and such. These are the qualities that, for him, defined the brush rifle. He also had a place in Lycoming County where the shots were far longer. For that he liked a 270 (Remington 700). Still heavy enough to provide a straight shot in undergrowth, but more umph to reach out a little further. On that rifle he used a four power scope. He sighted it for 25 yards and it was spot on at 200.

Isn't it true that the term, "Brush gun" has a pretty wide range of descriptions?

A brush gun in SE PA is different from a brush gun just 200 miles away.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:35 AM   #20
steinauge

I have a Pedersoli brown bess cut to 22" makes a great brush gun.I put sights on it and use 75gr 2f and a patched .730" round ball.Have had it about 25-30 years now.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:02 AM   #21
Rifleman1776

Quote:
Side lock with a REMOVABLE breech plug / lug.
Scoff.

What is the point?
I really don't know what a 'brush' gun is. By my definition it is one you carry hunting in thick woods and brush.
For almost a half century I carried a flintlock rifle with a 42" barrel in all kinds of thick woods and brush.
Ded deer didn't know I wasn't using pellets or didn't have a removable breech plug or had a short barrel. They wuz jest ded.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:28 AM   #22
Doc Hoy

Again I am in danger of rendering an opinion...

....when in fact I am terribly underinformed.

I think RM1776's definition fits mine. It is kind of an individual thing which for him resulted in the use of a 42" barrel. Possibly the only thing available to him at the time. That would be a little long for me but it certainly fit 76s. But then, did I mention? I don' hunt.

With the proliferation of ML options over the last five to ten years, a person who is just getting a "brush gun" (Lord, I do hate that word, "Gun") is right to do as the OP has and try to establish his own definition.

My only experience with hunting is when I went (unarmed) with my uncle who used me to flush out pheasants and encourage squirrels to come around to his side of a tree. I said he liked things short and light. That is not because he was in heavy thickets which impeded the movement of the rifle, but because in the dense brush, the shot was recognized quickly and almost as quickly it vanished. He had to be able to turn the rifle and raise the rifle in the short period that the deer had his head to the ground to graze. When the head was up, my uncle was always dead still. He always said that a deer can't see things, they can only see movement.

In western, PA, the shots were longer providing a little more time to raise the rifle and aim without spooking the deer. His longer 270 worked there.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; February 22, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:26 AM   #23
deerslayer303

Doc,

Your definition of a Brush "Rifle" is spot on. It usually just means and short, light, heavy caliber rifle used in heavy brush with a MV slow enough that deflection is not an issue. But no matter the length all big caliber front stuffers fit the heavy caliber bill. Before this whole ML addiction I got myself into, I too was a 30-30 fan for thick brush, which is where I hunt latter in the season when the old wise buck is leary of stepping into a field or big clearing. For early season Bean Field hunting I used my .303 for shots to 200 yards, more than that it was 300 Win Mag time. I only mentioned the removable breech plug on a sidelock barrel for ease of cleaning. I always worry that I don't get the breech clean enough. But then again a breech scraper would do the trick too.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:50 AM   #24
spitpatch

Mississippi

Moloc is right 1841 miss would be my pick. I have one in 58. Shoots good with both RB & mini. And is a looker.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:26 PM   #25
BerdanSS

I'd love to just use my 30-30....too bad it's against the law here

Doc, I don't care much for the very loose term of "gun" either. Although I do catch myself using it now and then. To me, when I hear "gun" I think artillery like as in 12# field "gun". So to right myself, brush rifle to me would be pretty much dead on with what you and slayer said. That and the CVA staghorn (along with many others) is unwieldy to me...Not very well balanced, the angle of the grip on the stock with the 23" barrel makes the rifle feel cumbersome.

Also, I just like making something different, while keeping a hint of the same. It'll be a CVA staghorn, but someone familiar with them would likely do a double take looking at it. I like custom, what can I say? I had a brand new uberti Hombre for two days and started messing with it. I buffed the finish to remove the pebbling from the frame and turned it a nice soft blue black from the flat black paint look. Then I stripped the grips, took the matte brass to eye blinding polished and re profiled the front sight. It's a hombre true enough, but there's not another one around just like it.