The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 7, 2007, 01:41 AM   #51
Doggieman

Quote:
I also believe that. I also am a believer that shot placement trumps just about every aspect of cartridge debates.
Of course. That's not even an issue. I could kill a man with a safety pin if I could place it right where I wanted to. Shot placement is hands down the most important thing, but it's also hands down the thing that we have the least control over in a gunfight. So to debate shot placement vs. anything else is meaningless.

I just switched from JHP in my guns to FMJ in all of them. For the past couple of years I've firmly believed that 380 and below should use FMJ, and 38 spl and above could use JHP (38 being kind of on the edge).

However, I've since switched to FMJ for legal reasons. I think they do an adequate job and I'm more worried about post-shooting prosecution than I am about getting shot. From my legal studies I've realized that if a DA decides to charge you and you used JHP, it will look very bad. And if a perp sues you after the fact, you can bet his lawyer will play the JHP card.