The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 22, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
LED

Suppressor Host: Mossberg Patrol MVP vs Remington 700 Tactical

Which of the two rifles in .223 do YOU prefer with a suppressor?

MOSSY... Fluted 20" barrel... Classy laminated target stock... Takes AR mags... Shoots 5.56... Adjustable trigger (a good one)... Clunky bolt action (because of the special lower lip for picking up rounds from the AR mag)

REMMY... Heavy 16.5" barrel... Ugly Gillie Hogue rubber stock... Ugly Parker(?) finish... Internal mag... Adjustable trigger... Smooth bolt action... Costs about $200 more...

I prefer the shorter barrel and the slicker bolt action of the Rem, but also the looks and the value of the Moss.
Thoughts?
Old April 23, 2013, 06:10 AM   #2
mxsailor803

I like the concept of the MVP but in all reality, how often in a bolt action setup do you need more than 5 rounds or so. 20-30rds just is not a necessary thing to me in bolt action. Not to mention, after 10rds or so rapidly, I would imagine accuracy would drop on the MVP. Not mention I don't believe that the MVP has a very big following yet. Personally I would handle both of them side by side. Then decide.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
taylorce1

Really to me it is simple if you don't really like either rifle build the one you want. I'd start with a M700 SPS Varmint and cut the barrel down to 16.5" and have it threaded for a supressor. Then I'd find a laminated wood stock of you liking and bed the barreled action into it. Since it is wood you can reshape the forearm to make it look correct with your now shorter barrel.

There are kits to replace the bottom metal of the M700 to accept AR magazines. However most of them require the bottom of the action to be milled open to allow for the wider AR magazine, and once you do that there is no trurning back on that action. Plus there are some feeding reliability issues that they haven't quite worked out with the M700.

The more expensive option is to go with a Badge Ordanance, Wyatts, or similar trigger guard that uses a more reliable single stack magazine. The magazines are more expensive than the AR-15 mags, and you'll be limited to only 10 rounds per mag. However I think if you do some searches on the net about the feeding issues with the AR style magazines in a M700 you'll realize they aren't the way to go.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:01 AM   #4
tahunua001

this is a rifle only forum. you would get a lot more knowledgeable responses from the NFA sub forums instead.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5
JD0x0

I'd say put it on the shorter gun because the suppressor will add length to the rifle.
Old April 23, 2013, 01:16 PM   #6
LED

I appreciate all the replies, good points. Shorter is better, agreed. I may be able to shoot them side by side soon. AR mags no big deal in a bolt action rifle, also agreed. I actually prefer internal feed in a bolt action. We'll see which barrel heats up faster- excellent reminder. I will post results within a week or two.