The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old December 19, 2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Celo456

Mini 14 pre ban questions

My mini was made in 1976. I plan on modifying it with some pre-ban parts.
Interested in a tactical folding stock, flash suppressor etc. My question is this, is there anything on the rifle, that if replaced, will negate pre-ban status? I know if you take brand new mini and put on a preban stock that it's not legally pre-ban. Does the reverse apply? If my mini needs a new barrel or if I need to replace the action or any other moving parts, will that negate pre-ban
status. I don't want to spend money on a new stock, parts, and hi cap mags if a simple barrel or action swap will turn a pet project into an illegal firearm
Old December 19, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Lavid2002

Said firearm would have had to be modified before the ban to my knowledge to be legal.....
Old December 19, 2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Crankylove

Are you taling about the ban Clinton signed? I am unaware of any other, and since that law is no longer applicable.......why would it matter if it is pre-ban or not?
Old December 20, 2009, 04:17 AM   #4
Celo456

That law ( or one modeled on it) is still applicable in Nassau county NY. As a matter of fact at one of the local municipal county ranges out here made ne leave because they couldn't find the stamped date on one of my 30 round mags. They threatened to confiscate it. And putting a threaded barrel or a folding stock on a brand new mini or ar15 is a class A felony around here. Local gun shops sell ar 10's & 15's with stocks that appear to be tactical fold in style,but they aren't functional. They are only legal on guns made before the ban. But pre-ban and the skyd the limit. If you can find a flame thrower feel free to mount it on
Old December 20, 2009, 07:25 AM   #5
KMO

So, apparently some states (counties too?) are using the Clinton era assault weapons ban as an ongoing standard for certain gun laws, even though that ban expired at the Federal level several years ago? That sure stinks. To be certain about your question, I would contact the legislative arm of the NRA and ask them about your specific situation. They are up to speed on every specific gun law in the country.

As for your Mini-14 modifications, I'll just throw in my 2 cents...Whatever mods you make to the rifle, keep your original parts and retain the ability to put everything back to factory condition. That might be important to you at some point.
Old December 20, 2009, 07:34 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I would recomend moving to somewhere like here in Texas. You can have magazines that hold as many rounds as you want. Any stock is legal. Folding or not, as long as the barrel is over 16 inches. (Less than that requires NFA stamp) Part of the reason I never move to California:barf:, or New York:barf:.
I would recmend finding out, and following the law to the letter.
Old December 20, 2009, 12:47 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Now, that's just WRONG!

Quote:
they couldn't find the stamped date on one of my 30 round mags. They threatened to confiscate it.
I don't have your local laws to look at (you should get a copy), but most of the areas that adopted their own "assault weapon" ban laws did so st the time of, or just after the 1994 AWB. And the language they used is generally a fairly precise copy of the wording of the 94 AWB. BUT, it might not be, so get a copy of your local laws, and check carefully for specific differences!

The 94 AWB (which expired in 2004) required all magazines (over 10rnds) to have the date of mfg on them, and prohibited their sale to civilians. This only applied to magazines made after the 94 law took effect. Any magazine without a date on it is considered to be "pre-ban" and therefore exempt.

Generally the same with "pre-ban" rifles". Any features they had, or anything you want to do to them (excepting those things covered by other federal laws) is ok under the AWB. ALL restrictions on which features may be on an "assault weapon" only applied to guns made after the AWB took effect ('94).

Check your local (state and county) laws carefully. They may be the exact same thing as the 94 AWB, without the sunset clause, or they may be similar, but different enough to get you in trouble for some things. If the are the same as the AWB without the sunset clause, then all their provisions remain in effect, until perpetuity, the end of the world, or some one gets the law repealed. You could get in trouble, if you obtain/use some items that are now legal under federal law (the ban having expired) but are still illegal under your local laws. An undated magazine is one of them. Is it a pre ban (pre 94) mag with no date? Or is it a post sunset mag (made after 2004), when the requirement for a date went away (on the federal, and most state levels)?
And how do you prove it?
Good Luck.
Old December 20, 2009, 01:38 PM   #8
blu97

move to TX

not if the rest of the world was under water
Old December 20, 2009, 05:36 PM   #9
KMO

Quote:
move to TX...not if the rest of the world was under water
This from someone living in the garlic capital of the world? Remember, not all of Texas looks like El Paso...
Old January 20, 2010, 03:23 AM   #10
Celo456

Thanks again for all the info. It was helpful.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:09 AM   #11
pbrktrt

If his rifle was made in 1976 it is a 180 series with really no parts that will fit it. No factory support or repair parts. he'd be better off selling to a collector for a tidy sum to put towards a 581 series & be done with it. JMO
Closed Thread

Tags
legal , mini 14 , modifications , pre-ban , ruger