The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 20, 2015, 01:54 AM   #1
skizzums

need advice

I rarely need advice on what guns I want to purchase, but this came outta let field. Yesterday, my son, 8 y/o, asked me " what kind of gun would you like that you don't have already?", well, knowing my son really doesn't like my gun hobby because he would rather me stay home on those days, I knew someone was fishing for Christmas ideas assuming it was my wife. wel, my wife pulls me aside later that night and say "hey, your son REALLY wants to get you a gun for Christmas, I am not sure what you want or need, so can you just pick something out?"

ATM I would rather just save the $$, but if my sons wants to buy me a gun, and it'll make him feel like he got me a great present.....well I GUESS I'll have to do it.

anyway, yesterday at work, a co-worker/friend asked if I can sell a couple guns for him.both are almost unused, one really is unused. 1st is an SS 4" Taurus 82 heavy barrel(mint) and the scond an NAA 22mag revolver with the belt clip frip(he JUST bought this last week). I said whats the deal, something about a new "black label 1911", he is a formr marine and a really nice kid, has guns but never shoots. okay, so I like the Taurus a lot, beautiful pice and I don't own a single full size revolver. when my son asked me, I said "well, I need a big revolver"...thinking more on the lines of a 45colt. but what should I offer for the Taurus? I see wildly varying prices on these things since some are trade ins and what not, but this thing feels good and looks brand new.
he said come with a couple loaders and a really nice holster(which I said will add no value)

what do you think is a far offer? I see them new on buds for a pretty penny, but he was just complaining about how low the pawn/gun store was gonna give him, so I assume his expectations are not high.

whats a used, but brand new NAA going for?

would you get it, the 82 I mean? and for what price?
Old November 20, 2015, 02:37 AM   #2
mkiker2089

If it's a gift you should ask for something cheapish and that you would probably not buy on your own.

Bond Arms Texas Defender

380 micro gun

maybe a Hi-point just for laughs

You could get the NAA also

I'd personally want the Taurus but gifts need to be unique and they need to show something of the giver as well. It can't just be another gun in the safe with all the rest, it needs to be something that when you open the safe a bystander would reach for at once and say "well this one's a bit different isn't it."
Old November 20, 2015, 06:50 AM   #3
CajunBass

Why not ask for something you and he can enjoy together. A Ruger 22 Semi or something like that. A gift that gives several times over. You get a gun. Your son gets to shoot it. You both get to spend time together.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 20, 2015, 08:08 AM   #4
skizzums

He can't shoot guns, well maybe COULD, but I would have go force him and then he would hate it forever. The gift is my present from my wife as well. She just didn't know how to get me a gun. I was hoping the Taurus is cheapish.....I was thinking like 250$. Regardless, he wants me to sell them, what do you think its worth?
Old November 20, 2015, 08:20 AM   #5
walnut1704

Fair (to both parties) market price on a stainless 82 is $200-$250. I'd take the 82, at least you can shoot it. I don't find the NAA's fun at all.
Old November 20, 2015, 08:31 AM   #6
Hawg

Yeah I'd go with the Taurus too. I wouldn't fool with the NAA unless I just had to have it.
Old November 20, 2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Mainah

You could ask for a $250 gun that you don't don't really want, but what about a bow? Maybe your son could learn to enjoy target practice with you that way. It's quiet, fun, and cool.
Old November 20, 2015, 06:36 PM   #8
mkiker2089

I get people's point, I just think it's weird having your son ask for your wife only to end up with you buying your own gift that you are supposed to be selling for a friend. To me it kind of ruins the entire idea of a gift. That's why I want gifts to be just a little less practical. They need to be special. To me buying the Taurus as a gift is almost like buying your wife a vacuum. She may actually love the vac and use it often, but is it a good gift? Does it evoke a special feeling when she sees it.

That's why I said I'd go with the NAA gun if it were me. It's less useful, more of a novelty, and something people will be sure to ask about when they see it.

Ideally though I'd pick a few strange ones out, something you'd enjoy but wouldn't buy, then let them pick the final one. If they need they can ask other gun owners that you know for advice. I'm back to getting a Bond Arms, a NAA, maybe a Comanche one shot, etc...
Old November 20, 2015, 06:54 PM   #9
Omaha-BeenGlockin

That's a good lookin Taurus
-------Metallica
Old November 20, 2015, 06:57 PM   #10
skizzums

I know it' s an odd situation. A bow....GREAT IDEA!!!!! that's what they got for me last year unfortunately.

the NAA I do not want, if I canntreload for it, i'll pass. my wife knows tha reloading is more of my hobby than shooting. I told the guy at work today that the Taurus, which has 12 rounds through it in the last five or so years he's owned it, could probably pull slightly over 300$ and the NAA since it's LNIB would prob get around $225 and be a quick sell with the holidays here. He asked what I would pay? I said that Christmas is here and I didn't know the pistol was so nice and worth the amounts I have seen, since these are running up tp 400+ brand new still, and that I wouldn't want you to sell for less than 325, especially since it has speedloaders, custom holster etc. I said I was thinking about something more like the 200$ department for my wife and son to spend. we settled on 250$ with a few hundred rounds of SD ammo's, he said it was easier to lose 50-75$ ad have it done with.....like I said, he is a friend and a really nice guy. I gave him 50$ and said any further discussion via text or email, the gun will be talked about as being 200$ dollars. deal. looks like sometime early next week i'll take possession, put it in a box and have something to play with on Christmas day. just can't pass up on such a good deal. everywhere that sells it, although none in stock in the SS finish anymore, were selling from 375-425 just recently.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...s.cgi?i=422522
Old November 20, 2015, 09:15 PM   #11
Doc Holliday 1950

Read up on this model snd seems like you got yourself a very well made gun. It seems more and more that Taurus makes some very well made guns. Problem is one can't tell when they'll get the good one or the lemon.
Good shooting Skizzums and early Merry Christmas.
Doc
Old November 22, 2015, 10:41 AM   #12
tallball

Just for whomever else might be reading this...

I was at my LGS yesterday and they had a Taurus 82 in stainless that was in pristine condition. They wanted $350 for it.

Just in case anyone else was price checking them.
Old November 22, 2015, 11:13 AM   #13
turkeestalker

Odd situation, maybe not.
I did purchase a polished nickel Taurus model 83 this past year used from a local pawn shop for $300 and do not feel as if I overpaid at all.
The revolver is pristine and honestly the fit and finish is amazing. The only difference in it and the 82 is that the 83 has an adjustable rear sight. It shoots well and the trigger is quite good, thinking it was made in the mid 90s when I looked it up by serial number on their site.
It being the only Taurus I've ever owned I am very impressed, pleased and a little confused as to why people bash them so passionately.
8 years old is an awesome age, glad that you chose to humor him and went with the Taurus. I doubt seriously that you'll be disappointed in the least, and you know that he'll be beaming come Christmas morning.
My 83 now rests in my 84 year old father's nightstand in place of the semi-auto that I had provided him for the purpose in years past. He was kind of tickled when I gave it to him, and I know that I feel better knowing that he has it.
Old November 22, 2015, 11:48 AM   #14
DaleA

Quote:
I know it' s an odd situation.
Shrug. Not for ME to judge. If your son and wife want to get you a gun and want your input on it...well I know I'd sure like that deal!!!

I think a well made revolver, like the Taurus 82, stainless steel, 4 inch barrel, would be a VERY nice, reliable, fun to shoot gun that you'll probably wind up gifting back to your son in the future (say about 50 years from now...give or take) then your kid can get all misty eyed and promise he'll pass it on to his kid in another 40 or 50 years...(Says Dale who tends to over think these things just a bit.)

The only fly in the ointment so to speak is your friend. I'd check a couple of pawn shops and offer him $25 bucks more or $250 to $275 whichever is higher and make full disclosure that you're buying it for yourself. I'm assuming this is a 'good' Taurus. I might even go a bit higher if it checks out okay but explain to the guy that while he might get more on Gunbroker, Gunbroker has the potential to turn into a big old mess too if you get an unsatisfied buyer.
Old November 24, 2015, 02:01 AM   #15
jstert

for the price this taurus is a great buy especially as the o.p. has no other revolvers. otherwise unique and heirloom-stout make decent gift criteria so for a bit more money a bond arms, or ruger bearcat or single six or 357/38/9 blackhawk would be nice gifts.
Old November 26, 2015, 06:54 AM   #16
skizzums

I gave him 250 and brought it home. So is at my moms for thanksgiving break. This revolver locks up super tight, I can't barely stick a piece of papier in the cylinder gap. There really isn't a mark on it, my wife is very excited about giving it to me and that's what matter most to use. We have other revolvers, but only snubbies, this will be my Y first "full size" a and first six shooter. I need some grips with a bigger swell, but other than that, this is my highest quality revolver a d I feel like I got a steal. Barely shot, fitted perfect and with a pricey holster a and a couple !loaders, they are both excited. As am I.

Old November 26, 2015, 06:56 AM   #17
skizzums

I did tell this coworker that I would attempt to sell his LNIB NAA mini revolver for 220$, anyone interested? Literally bought like 5 weeks ago.....
Old November 27, 2015, 03:01 AM   #18
skizzums

if you have seen any of y usual posts you'll know that I advocate Taurus as good company to buy firearms from. That's because I feel they make affordable firearms that are reliable and made to a level above the extremely low price point. But, I'm not slow, it is what it is.....it's a pretty cheap gun, in most cases. I own a Taurus 85(very old, recently given to me by my stepfather, tight little 38spl gun that shoots straight with skinny uncomfortable wood grips) a Taurus 605POLY(my wife's carry for about 3 years, a little sloppy, but does as requested thousands of times over, .357mags are very uncomfortable) a Taurus PT111 G2(my carry, a great crossover for the single stack sized gun that carries a medium capacity of 12 and shoots well, rife with features and utterly reliable for a dirt cheap price) a Taurus/Rossi M92 .357 Lever(not super cheap, but perfect in every way if you ask me) ad as if a couple days ago, a Taurus 82B4.

Now, if I saw a Taurus under the glass counter with a price tag of over 400$, I would keep walking. I mean, really, that gets me pretty much a Ruger and very close to a Smith, and in 38+P....no way. But, it's that kind of thinking that likely got this piece discontinued, well that or the fact that a google search for the 82 only brings up the terrible reviews of the surplus police 82 trade-ins. I personally couldn't find a single rag review of the 82 "homeland security".

Wife and I brought it out to shoot today, we are making reloads for a friend (very light reloads) and wanted every barrel length at our disposal. Wife isn't a perfect shooter, and it's been some time since she has practiced. she shot first, right out of the gate, 4 bulls and one left and one right. next six were all but touching in a nice cluster right around POA. She continued like this fr several cylinder fulls, 5 to 10 yards, shooting great and smiling big. After saying "i love this gun" about a dozen times, it was finally my turn. Never missed my mark, 50 rounds of bullets going exactly where I asked them to. This gun is TIGHT as any other, the GAP doesn't exist, the single-action is just a break and the double-action moves the sights all but none.

My son is coming home Saturday, so coming home I disassembled the pistol to clean it to "like new" condition, so we could box it back up after wife printed a shipping label, you know.....because it's getting "shipped" to our porch Saturday. My son was very excited during the faux purchase yesterday, so I hear... http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...s.cgi?i=422522 . When disassembling, I would have never thought it was a Taurus if this was a blind taste test. The fit was excellent, the internals are actually smooth and look very well crafted. everything spoke the quality I expect from a smith excluding the machine marks on the grip area of the frame. the bore is bight with the "tooling" marks of a lesser Taurus that are so common, this is a polished pistol and ll the parts run so smooth together. can't speak highly enough about this piece, and will never part with it. if you come across deal on an 82B4, jump on it, you will not be disappointed. outside of wanting a bigger palm swell on the grip, this is a perfect target gun for ME.

it's going to be a chore to keep my wife from taking "possession" of this one like she did the lever-action
Old November 28, 2015, 09:09 PM   #19
Doc Holliday 1950

Great Post.
I've followed Skizzums posts and this man has never given wrong advice on guns /ammo.

Doc
Closed Thread