The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 2, 2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Jeffm004

Just for Fun - How long would it take for a new house guest to peg you as a gun guy?

My guns are all put away. My art is outdoors but not labeled DU. In my house, the tell would be the throne reading, otherwise it looks about like any other house. If he saw the office bookshelf, that would be another pretty big clue.

How "gunny" (pun intended) is your house?
Old October 2, 2015, 10:16 PM   #2
Mike38

Interesting. I just looked around the first floor of my house. There is a nice 9 point white tail mount, that would say I'm a hunter, but wouldn't necessarily mean with a firearm. Then there's a sign on my front window that says "Prayer is the best way to meet the Lord. But trespassing on this property is faster." Other than that, nope.
Old October 2, 2015, 11:36 PM   #3
rickyrick

I shave with straight razors and smoke large tobacco pipes.
Old October 3, 2015, 12:14 AM   #4
dakota.potts

They'll know I'm a knife owner right away as I decorate with them. Astute owners may recognize a couple rifle bayonets among them. If the NRA tin decal in my front room and picture if me holding my AR15 next to the first hog I shot don't do it, maybe the gunsmithing books on my bookshelf will
Old October 3, 2015, 12:48 AM   #5
O4L

Right away. I always answer the door with a gun in my hand.
Old October 3, 2015, 05:05 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

As long as the hunting pictures are not hanging on the walls on the main floor, no one would be the wiser unless I let them into the "dungeon". An entire floor of the house is "mine" and a good portion is dedicated to my hobbies - firearms and hunting being the dominant categories. (This floor of the house being "mine" means that I also do 95% of the laundry, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make...)

If the hunting pictures were up.... 30 seconds?
Old October 3, 2015, 06:14 AM   #7
lamarw

Shortly after realizing I was an antique clock nut.
Old October 3, 2015, 07:20 AM   #8
Tony Z

I do not volunteer the information (we have more than the normal number of visitors).

At our home, to the right of the main entry is the library room, leading to the dining room, kitchen and back stairs. Most friends/relatives come through that area, and the only way they can tell I'm a gun person, is by noting the number of gun books on the shelves. If from the main entry, they go through to the right, to the formal living room and to the sitting room, there is nothing to give away gun ownership.

At my plant, in my office it is the same thing. Across from the couch and easy chair, is a book case. If a person notes the books, they might assume I'm a gun person.

In our part of Pennsyltucky, we have a horrid drug problem. This is pretty much a rural area, but with a bad meth & heroin problem. You do not give away what you might have at your home. We live in a more well-to-do area, and we have had our home burglarized about 7 years ago, while my wife, 3 daughters, beagle & I were asleep upstairs. Since then, we have added numerous security measures, but as advised by both LEO and insurance carrier, the best measure is to be low-key. Several years ago, we were asked to have our home be part of the local showcase of homes for a holiday walk (5 homes). We graciously obliged, and it went well, except for several phone calls advising us not to do it: either theft occurring during the visits or people casing the homes for a later "visit".

So, in short, I would not volunteer gun ownership, nor display guns. If you feel compelled to do so, keep it in one room, not on the usual visitor track.
Old October 3, 2015, 07:21 AM   #9
A pause for the COZ

Right away. I will have one on my hip when they drive in.
Old October 3, 2015, 08:09 AM   #10
Jeffm004

Office would have been another good question. No tells in mine but people there know.
Old October 3, 2015, 08:17 AM   #11
jonnyc

I'm a history teacher and well-known to friends as a pretty advanced cartridge collector. Lots of war, terrorism, ammo, and gun books on the shelves, but nothing really definitive.
However, once the subject comes up it's pretty obvious.
Old October 3, 2015, 09:56 AM   #12
Tony Z

As Jonny's recent post, I am also a collector and have been for decades. I ran out of space decades ago also. At least half of my various items have been on loan to the local historical society. Haven't figured what will happen to them (yet) when I meet my maker!
Old October 3, 2015, 11:23 AM   #13
rickyrick

Oh "gun" guy

I swear it said "guy guy" as in manly man.

I have no evidence of my gun ownership visible.
Old October 3, 2015, 01:54 PM   #14
kilimanjaro

As soon as they walk into the library and see the spears and rifles on the wall. Otherwise, not so obvious.
Old October 3, 2015, 02:07 PM   #15
tomrkba

They would have to see the gun books. That is all that is visible.
Old October 3, 2015, 02:49 PM   #16
Pond, James Pond

Probably never, unless I chose to tell them... or they turn out to be rich and into gun-related philanthropy.
Old October 3, 2015, 05:15 PM   #17
osbornk

They might notice the post full of holes here I put my targets across from my garage when they pull in my driveway.

They might notice my locked wormy chestnut gun cabinet in the den with long guns in it.

They might notice the safe in my office surrounded by ammo boxes, ear muffs, etc. that "might" have handguns in it.

They might notice the little gun safe on the hearth beside my bed.

Other than that, they would have no idea.
Old October 3, 2015, 07:25 PM   #18
Ozzieman

Good question.
If you came into the front door and stayed in the front part of the house you would think I was a candle and old wicker lamp collector and a professional doll house builder.
That's my wife's house,,,,, my room has two safes and several other things that would lead you to believe I am a gun collector.
If it sounds like my wife is in control of the house, you are correct and I am happy with it that way. There are reasons women rule the world and let us think we do.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 3, 2015, 08:02 PM   #19
vito

They would have no idea unless the subject of guns, the Second Amendment, or concealed carry came up. If they went into my furnace room/work room/ reloading room then they might get an idea.
Old October 3, 2015, 08:12 PM   #20
Rancid

I have a 200 yard rifle range with a bench in the front yard. The driveway crosses it. I fly a red flag to warn the delivery guys and visitors that the range is hot.
In over 20 years, I'm one of the few homes in the local area that hasn't been broken into. Rumor has it that a crazy man lives there.
Old October 3, 2015, 08:19 PM   #21
TMD

All depends on weather or not you have NRA and Browning decals on the back window of your pickup. If so about 3 seconds if he's slow to talk a hint
Old October 3, 2015, 08:37 PM   #22
mavracer

very little outward around the house surprisingly about the only thing would be the coexist sticker in the back window of my truck n Bronco
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 3, 2015, 09:01 PM   #23
rickyrick

I keep some lower cost and midrange electric guitars and amplifiers visible... Thieves would take those distractions and probably not find the well disguised gun safe
Old October 3, 2015, 11:25 PM   #24
SC4006

It would take them quite a while to figure it out in my house. All the guns in my house are out of sight and locked up. The biggest sign would be the range I have in my back yard, but even that is not visible from the house as it is hidden by trees.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old October 3, 2015, 11:45 PM   #25
Stevie-Ray

If one is given the nickel tour, the safe in the master suite is a dead giveaway. Walking past the library, if one notices what books are contained within, that would likely give it away. Magazine rack in the john would be another, as would be the latest issue of First Freedom, generally on a side table. Barring that, conversation will likely rat me out within an hour, or so.