The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 8, 2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Beemaster

17 round mags in a 15 round state - NJ

Hello all:

I've posted only once before, I'm an awaiting firearm license/handgun permit member in NJ. Likely, almost 3 months into this application process, I have 2 to 3 more months to go.

Question is concerning law. I have studied everything about features of handguns and have narrowed down to several I hope to be shooting at my gun range soon. One is The FNH FNX 9 which I consider for it's ambidextrous feature, SADA and decocker - I could say the same fore the Sig Sauer P938 to a degree, but the question is mag capacity.

The FNX comes with 3-17 round mags, NJ law states 15 round mag capacity - I haven't checked (shame on me) but assume FNH has a lower capacity mag, but why would I go for that at $50 bucks average a mag when a handgun comes with three mags.

Is there a way to convert mags to lower capacity? Is it good enough to never load them beyond 15 (that sounds foolish to ask, but I just don't know) or is this all a moot point and this gun just isn't gonna fly?

I know there are other solutions, hope so at least. I would add if I were to spend more money, which I am fortunate enough to go a few hundred extra bucks, I like the Sig M11-A1 but again, here in NJ you can't touch anything without a FL. And handgun purchase is no more than one every month - and I kinda figure on getting a 22 so I can at least have affordable shooting range time, finishing up with 50 rounds of 9mm.

So, again - what is the law with too high a capacity mag, is this a fixable solution that makes it legal?

Thank you all so much for any help. And please don't judge me my the guns I am still only window shopping, mostly on Youtube and forums for
Old July 8, 2013, 05:05 PM   #2
RickB

I do some shooting near the Canadian border, and it's not uncommon for the Canucks to have rivets running through their mag tubes that limit capacity to ten. When they arrive is a free state, they drill the rivets out and load to capacity. Before going home, they install a new rivet.
Old July 8, 2013, 11:53 PM   #3
Beemaster

I can think of crazier things to do for sure. Not a bad solution since it is very "permanent" if only to the next drilling. TY.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Dragline45

Converting mags to a lower capacity is not the problem, the problem is that since NJ's capacity limit is 15 you will probably, and when I say probably I mean most likely, not be able to even get the 17 round mags in NJ to begin with. Most likely when you buy the gun they will come with 10 round mags. Try living in Massachusetts where our capacity limit is 10! I am forced to hunt down pre-ban high capacity mags which are like gold here. Right now the only pistol I have high capacity mags for is a Beretta M9A1 that I tracked down 3 pre-ban 15rd mags for. Also got a couple 20rd M14 mags. To say the least, it sucks. If you are forced to go with 10rd mags though, it is always a great excuse to get a .45.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:46 AM   #5
GJSchulze

You need to read the penal code for NJ to see how they word the mag limit. My 19 round mags were blocked to 10 and the base plate hot glued to make it "not readily modified to hold more than 10." You may have a hard time buying it if it doesn't come with legal mags. I found a deputy sheriff who owns a gun shop who could order it and do the work.
Old July 9, 2013, 07:38 AM   #6
diamondd817

A NJ dealer will not sell you a 17rd mag. It will most likely be a 10rd mag unless its a 17 pinned to 15 which is completely legal. And no, you can not own a 17rd mag and only load it to 15.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:12 AM   #7
johnelmore

In New Jersey, the magazines have to be PERMANENTLY modified to 15 rounds meaning that you destroy the magazine if any attempt is made to unblock. Lets say you block the magazine, but it takes 30 minutes of work to unblock...you are in violation of the law.

I would be very careful with NJ firearms laws in every respect. NJ is a VERY unfriendly state. If I were in NJ with a firearm then I would go out of my way to make sure I am in compliance with their laws. There are well known stories on the internet of law abiding firearms ending up in an NJ jail because there was some type of technical violation of the law. Many times these law abiding firearm owners didnt know they were violating the law and had checked with the local police first, but they still nailed them on a technical violation.

Be careful and be afraid there. Be very afraid.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:57 AM   #8
kostyanj

Just owning a hi cap mag in nj is a felony, with or without a gun to go along with it. A NJ FFL will not sell you an illegal mag. If you buy the mags in a free state, you can pin them in that state then bring them home. Also, there are various nj ffls that do compliance work.

Tags
15 rounds , mags , nj laws