The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 1, 2005, 03:27 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Anyone have an idea why my Mauser is so inaccurate?

Got a surplus model 08/.30 Brazilian Mauser, cal .30-'06. Took it and some Hornady new factory 180 gr soft points to the range. Not on the paper at 100 yards. Hmmm. Move to 50 yds. Still not on paper, so I put the sights on the bulleye and eyeball it by looking down the barrel. Looks like it would hit low left. So I drift the front blade as far as it would go to the left - any more and it would blend with the guard/ear on the left side, and not be a distinct blade in the sight picture. Then move the rear blade from 200 to 100. Sure enough, now I hit the paper - that is, I hit the paper ONCE out of the next seven shots, and that one shot was nearly off the paper, about 5-6 inches low and still about 10-12 inches left, at 50 yards. What the heck? One gunny friend suggested it might be chambered in 8 mauser, but no, it's marked "08/.30". Any ideas on why so off-target AND inaccurate? Doesn't look like the rear is windage-adjustable, and the front won't go any further. Suggestions on what to do? I understand why it's low at 50, but the windage problem is unacceptable for any actual use, such as hunting. Thanks.
Old March 1, 2005, 04:37 PM   #2
yekimak

can you see down the bore and does it look straight?

is the action tightened into the stock?

What does the bore look like? Rough, smooth, etc? What are the cases looking like? How used is it?

I have seen a few guns with lead fouling that was not totally visable, cheaper ammo has exposed lead bases and can leave deposits that are hard to remove. I used a kleenbore lead removing cloth on an old savage and had good luck with it afterwards (I had spent a month soaking it in hoppes copper remover and was still getting black patches every night).

Have it checked and made sure that is is the correct caliber, I think there are a few 8mm.06 guns running around that use a .30-06 case and an 8mm bullet.

good luck
Old March 1, 2005, 05:30 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

K, I'll clean it good, check it, and report back. The bore looks a little dark indeed. I considered that a possibility (re-chambering), but thought it unlikely anyone would do that since (a) .30-'06 would more likely be the GOAL cartridge for rechambering milsurps to, along with .308, not the SOURCE chambering, typically, and (b) if it IS in fact rechambered to either 8mm-06 or 8mm mauser, that would require a barrel change, and why again would anyone do that when .30-'06 is so prolific/cheap/popular/useful? Weird. I may have to have the chamber cast - that's about $35 but worth it if there's any doubt.
Old March 1, 2005, 06:29 PM   #4
jefnvk

Any possibility it just doesn't like the ammo? Or, that the front or back sight is maybe bent/twisted?
Old March 1, 2005, 06:37 PM   #5
yekimak

take a .30 cal bullet, and stick the pointy end into the muzzle (not pound it in) 8mm is just a shade larger than .30, but you might get an idea from that. for rifling to work, the bullet must seat into the grooves.

there would be alot of blow by around the bullet, and velocity would be low I assume.

Did any of the case necks crack, etc? how do they compare to unfired brass?
Old March 2, 2005, 06:19 AM   #6
LAK

Once you've checked everything else mentioned above closely inspect the muzzle crown, and inspect the stock bedding and check for fit. If the wood is oil-soaked and rotten underneath it may need cleaning out and glass/epoxy bedding.

If things improve some but not greatly try some other ammo of varying bullet weights.
Old March 2, 2005, 09:56 AM   #7
2002gti

could just be a shot out barrel too, these things happen on them old guns
Old March 2, 2005, 11:25 AM   #8
DnPRK

I think the 08 stands for 1908, the model year of the rifle, not 8mm.

Inability to hit point of aim could be because of:
1. bent barrel - already mentioned
2. damaged muzzle - already mentioned
3. bullet not stabilized (bullet flying sideways don't travel in a straight line). Due to damaged rifling or bullets undersized to bore diameter.
4. Canted front sight base or front and rear sights were installed in a misaligned condition.

Check eBay and you might be able to find a good replacement barrel for a reasonable price.