The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 28, 2012, 09:38 AM   #1
StainlessSteel215

What does your home defense plan consist of?

Its no surprise that in a bad economy...criminals seek more opportunities and get more desperate. There have been more home invasions and break-ins in the Philly area including suburbs than ever before....in ALL neighborhoods including mine.

So I finally broke down and installed an ADT security system in our home last month, right before we went away for a week on vacation. We have way too many downstairs windows so I had to settle on just the front and back door sensors and a motion sensor in the main traffic area downstairs. And my wife and I use the system frequently, even on short daytime trips where we are only gone 30 min or so.

As for my defense plan for a home invasion, admittedly I dont not really have one other than to grab my 1 year old from her crib...secure myself in the master bedroom, allow the ADT system to notify police and take cover in the master bedroom with my Glock26 (with night sights) on standby.

I heard a story recently from my mechanic that a good buddy of his is serving prison time because he noticed a daytime break-in, entered slowly, stood at the bottom of the staircase waiting patiently and shot upwards and killed the intruder. Well, according to the courts he should have exited his home and dialed 911. I have to agree.
Old September 28, 2012, 10:32 AM   #2
StainlessSteel215

Fair enough fellas, just know that the law isnt always on your side when it comes to shooting a person, as I mentioned above. Be smart & safe
Old September 28, 2012, 10:47 AM   #3
StainlessSteel215

Anywhere in USA, even southern states like Florida that adopted the stand your ground laws. There is VERY specific language that went into legislation when these laws were crafted. You have to really prove without a shred of doubt that you had no way to exit the house safely before discharging your firearm at an intruder. Im telling you, you'd be surprised!
Old September 28, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Aikibiker

I try to use the multiple layered model of perimeter defense backed up with intel gathering about criminality in my local area to both predict, deter, and if necessary ultimately stop crime directed at my family or property.

I am currently in the process of improving my home's security plan. I am adding more motion sensor lights, anti pry plates to the doors, and experimenting with wireless motion sensor alarms to tell when people enter the property.

I already have hardened doors, a dog, firearms of various types, and practice surveillance detection techniques to catch someone "casing" the house. We also attend our local police department's anticrime meetings and keep up on local arrests in the paper to track crime trends in our area.

Currently most crime in our city happens several miles away from our neighborhood, but there have been a few incidents close by, mainly thefts from garages with the door left open.

In the future is more firearms training for my wife (from an actual instructor, not me taking her to the range and teaching her marksmanship), getting the alarm system worked out to get audible real time alarms for the backyard and outbuilding, and possibly CCTV cameras. I also want to purchase some gen 3 night vision gear, but that is years in the future due to having a kid on the way.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old September 28, 2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Some useless posts have disappeared. Let's try to be serious and responsive to the OP's question.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 28, 2012, 11:35 AM   #6
zombietactics

First line of defense:
Adequate exterior lighting, some on timers, some on motion detectors.

Second line of defense:
Early warning system consisting of Emma the Tactical Terrier and Toffy the Wonder Beagle.

Third line of defense:
Alarm system and integrated home automation. (the lights turn on for the zone which is triggered)

Forth line of defense:
3 separate hidden doors/rooms. These are not fully-armored "safe rooms', rather just someplace where you'd be difficult to find when hiding.

Fifth line of defense:
There is quite a bit of weaponry. Some of it is almost always carried on my person or that of my wife. Everyone in the household is proficient in varying degrees appropriate to their age.
Old September 28, 2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Stressfire

I rent, so my options are limited as to surveillance equipment and alarm systems.

I compromise by living on the second story of a duplex. Two locked doors, one outside at the base of a staircase, one at the top that lets into the apartment proper. The latter of which is equipped with one of those stick-on, battery powered magnetic alarms.

Cell phone, pistol, and flashlight in/on the nightstand in the front bedroom where we sleep.

Retreat point is the rear bedroom that has no bed, but houses all of my other guns and ammo. Also here is one of those rope-ladder type fire escapes.
Old September 28, 2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Aikibiker

Stressfire,

Good thinking on the ladder, if I had a second story I would want one too. Also the flashlights. I forgot to mention my defensive guns have weapons mounted lights capable of lighting up the entire yard and I have had shooting with low light/flashlight training in the past.

Cellphones are a given, we keep several charged. Also since we are in a hurricane area we maintain a landline (local area has buried telephone lines) as a backup in case the towers go out. We have lost cell coverage in the past, never the landline.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old September 28, 2012, 11:53 AM   #9
comn-cents

Outside lights, alarm, dogs, "The plan", Guns!

The plan=KISS= flashlights, phones, safe place, knife, commonsense, awareness, Guns!

Last edited by comn-cents; September 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:03 PM   #10
dayman

I mostly rely on my location (the middle of nowhere) and the dogs as deterrents. Good exterior lights and a peephole usually let me identify what the dogs are after.
Beyond that, I keep a 30-30 in the closet by the door, and a handgun/flashlight/phone locked in my bedroom.

Incidentally - if anyone didn't know - you can use a deactivated cell to call 911, so if it's inconvenient to keep your actual phone in your "safe area", you can always just keep an old phone there instead.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:24 PM   #11
StainlessSteel215

Great posts - cant believe I havent thought of that already but I think I will install a couple motion sensor lights around the side and back of the house because they are relatively cheap ways to scare off intruders in low light. Luckily my home is directly in front of a street light so I think that brings at least some level of deterrent to a walker-by....in the front of the house at least.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Steviewonder1

Add video cameras, I have several inside and outside. When the home was built 13 years ago I had panic buttons put in each bathroom tied to the alarm system which are Silent Panics. They require two fingers to operate so just a bump will not send the alarm.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:50 PM   #13
jmortimer

You do not mention dogs, but even one or two small yapping dogs would be the best first line of defense. Assuming you can't or won't get a dog or two, then your alarm system is a good start as long as the system is up and running and there is electricity. Nice thing about dogs is not electricity needed.
Some great responses in this thread.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Stressfire

Quote:
Incidentally - if anyone didn't know - you can use a deactivated cell to call 911
Forgot about that one - my old cell phone is kept in the "panic" room. Turned off, but I check the battery on occassion
Old September 28, 2012, 12:57 PM   #15
comn-cents

I have a couple of motion lights outside but my two main lights (back door, front door) are dusk to dawn lights, they stay on all night.
I've added a couple motion light, side of the house, when you approach the house and an additional one in the back of the house. The back of the house one lights up with a nice 1000w bulb. That puts light though my rear sliding door so that it lets me know something or someone is in my yard.
Old September 28, 2012, 05:45 PM   #16
giaquir

We live off the beaten path with
no cell phone service.
I should have a plan in place and make
this cabin more secure but I don't.
I am retired ,hardly go anywhere cept to the
barn and out back cutting wood.
We can hear a vehicle coming from quite a ways
off and I always carry my friend Mr glock.
The barn also has a couple of my friends in there.
Old September 29, 2012, 05:59 PM   #17
rodeo roy

I use cameras, lights and pray.

Located with a fairway on one side and woods on another it's a lot of dark space around. Inside I have guns and an alarm with lots of motion, glass break and door sensors, and a small dog that barks and everyting.

Bad guys are getting bolder not smarter, just pay attention and pray nobody gets in your door, window, chimney cause if they do you are on your heels trying to take your ground back. Burgulars don't burgul alone 2 or more can carry more stuff so you may have to fight off more than 1, not something I have to think about dealing with while my family is in panic mode.
Old September 29, 2012, 09:19 PM   #18
HeadHunter

Quote:
StainlessSteel215:
I heard a story recently from my mechanic that a good buddy of his is serving prison time because he noticed a daytime break-in, entered slowly, stood at the bottom of the staircase waiting patiently and shot upwards and killed the intruder. Well, according to the courts he should have exited his home and dialed 911. I have to agree.
Have you vetted the story? A lot of these stories get passed around for years and at the end of the chain they don't sound anything like the original drama. They usually begin as "I got pulled over by a policeman" and end up sounding like "your Grandmother had an affair with Batman."

Quote:
StainlessSteel215:
Anywhere in USA, even southern states like Florida that adopted the stand your ground laws. There is VERY specific language that went into legislation when these laws were crafted. You have to really prove without a shred of doubt that you had no way to exit the house safely before discharging your firearm at an intruder. Im telling you, you'd be surprised!
Well, in a word, NO. That's just not true. In Massachusetts that was true years ago. North Carolina was about the last Southern state that had weird Castle Doctrine and even it's been changed. In South Carolina, the Attorney General issued a public statement that people should shoot intruders in their home. In Georgia, our Castle Doctrine has existed for the better part of 100 years. No retreat is necessary.

"You can't go as deep [in] training as in a race or a fight. If you don't compete it's easy to convince yourself you're going hard. You're not." — Mark Twight

Last edited by Frank Ettin; September 30, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old September 30, 2012, 06:01 AM   #19
Wildthang

I have installed 4 fake video cameras that all have LED flashing lights. They look very real and even have a wire that enters the mounting plate. I have noticed on 2 occasions people pulling into my driveway, noticing the cameras and promptly leaving. That right there told me that they were up to no good, and the cameras did their job. I also have cut down large bushes that would provide hiding spots for burglars, installed motion lights in certain locations, and have dusk to dawn lights on all of the out buildings so I can see anything that moves in my back yard. I found some fluorescent dusk to dawn lights that only use 17 watts, but provide enough light to easily light up the back yard enough to see any intruders, and it doesn't run up my electric bill. The motion lights come on if anybody approaches the front of the house or the back door. I have made my house and property totally undesirable for burglars so they will just go on to another house. Even an ADT sign and fake cameras will normally make them think twice and costs very little.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:21 AM   #20
comn-cents

Wildthang "I have noticed on 2 occasions people pulling into my driveway, noticing the cameras and promptly leaving."

Sounds like it's time to move!
Old September 30, 2012, 12:36 PM   #21
shortwave

Motion detector lighting that covers all sides of the house as well as same for the outbuildings.

This house has single-hung windows in which the lower sections of the window slides up and down. Have taken broom handles , cut them to length and mounted them in the upper portion of the window so the bottom window can't be slid up from the outside.

Rose bush's on treliss's under lower bedroom windows. The rest of the shrubbery kept trimmed. Less hiding spots for prowlers.

On inside of basement entry door, there are chimes hanging that make a lot of racket when door is opened.

There are "baby minder's" in the outbuildings with the monitor's in the bedroom. They work well...ask the coon that got in the garage.

There are other small things done but IMO, you just can't beat a good dog.
There are two here that will alert us to someone outside.

Someone in an earlier post made reference to equipping your house so a possible perp will find an easier target elsewhere. IMO, that's the key to lessening my chances of possibly having an issue and depending on how the house is laid out, those ways may vary. Just takes a little thought about our own setups.

Last edited by shortwave; October 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old September 30, 2012, 06:16 PM   #22
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215
Well, in a word, NO. That's just not true. In Massachusetts that was true years ago. North Carolina was about the last Southern state that had weird Castle Doctrine and even it's been changed. In South Carolina, the Attorney General issued a public statement that people should shoot intruders in their home. In Georgia, our Castle Doctrine has existed for the better part of 100 years. No retreat is necessary.
I've been pretty tied up the last few days and missed SS215's comment. So let me help HH clarify things.

Every Stand Your Ground/Castle Doctrine law has one or more conditions that must be satisfied in order to come within its protections, but in no case is the inability to retreat one of those conditions.

I discussed the Florida law in some detail in this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ettin

...[3] The Florida's Castle Doctrine/Stand You Ground law at Section 776.013 helps by providing, among other things:
Quote:
(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and

(b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
(2) The presumption set forth in subsection (1) does not apply if:...
[3] A presumption is a rule that affects evidence and burden of proof in court. Ordinarily, one who asserts something in court will have the burden of proving, by presenting good evidence, that certain facts supporting that assertion are true. But sometimes the law might allow one of those facts to be accepted as true without specific evidence of that fact if the party with the burden of proof shows that certain other facts are true. So the party might be entitled under a rule of law to have fact A presumed to be true if facts B, C, and D are shown to be true, even if the party produces no direct evidence that fact A is true.

[4] So you can establish that your use of lethal force was justified, thus satisfying 776.012, if --
  1. You can show that

1. The person you used force against was, "...in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will..."; and

2. You, "...knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred...."

2. None of the exceptions in 776.013(2) apply.

And if you can do that, you don't have to specifically establish that you believed, "...that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself...."

[5] But note that you don't get the presumption automatically. You need to show that the conditions that create the presumption exist. That might be easier than showing a fear of imminent death or great bodily harm, but you still must do some work to establish your claim of justification. ...
The Florida law is fairly typical of Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground laws. They help one establish one or more threshold legal requirements for justifying one's use of lethal force by providing one or more helpful presumptions. But one would still have to establish the facts giving rise to those presumptions.

In any case, Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground laws are not "licenses to kill" or "get out of jail free cards."
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 30, 2012, 06:46 PM   #23
Stevie-Ray

First Line of Defense Neighborhood Watch blessed with extremely nosy neighbors serious about their safety and protecting their belongings.

Second Line of Defense Most houses here are bristled with security lights. When the Watch was first enacted, most of the neighbors installed motion detectors, which I already sported, to the liaison officer's delight. There were a few nights of dozens of lights kicking on and the sound of rattling fences all over the block. It pretty much stopped after that. (~10 yrs)

Third Line of Defense Strong locks on doors and windows, and braces where needed.

Fourth Line of Defense Security system with cameras and video. I don't have this in my present home as I am moving, but it will be installed in the new home. Security lights are already there, along with the locks and braces and I fully intend to enact a Neighborhood Watch when I become a full-time resident.

Fifth Line of DefenseCurrently a Kimber Ultra CDP in .45 ACP, my EDC, due to small spaces. When I move, either a Mossberg 930 SPX or a Colt 6721 as I haven't really decided on which, but it's nice to have options.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:33 PM   #24
MarkDozier

My defense plan - Blow em away, oh wait that is my Zombie everything plan

My defensive lines are simple
First line - DOGS.
Second line - Lights
Third - 45 ACP
Old September 30, 2012, 09:55 PM   #25
Tucker 1371

I live in an apartment with roommates, they're 21 and in college, they fit the stereotype for that particular group of people completely (getting drunk and coming and going and banging around at all hours of the night). I am paranoid, in Afghanistan I lived in a compound that had been overrun twice before the Marines took it over so I slept lightly. I have to tiptoe with my defense plan.

My roommates aren't dumb enough (at least I hope) to come banging on my bedroom door at 3am. I have nothing to defend in my apartment that isn't in my bedroom. My plan is to sit with my Mossberg 590 with my br door locked until it gets banged on. Then I'll ask who it is. If I dont get an answer after a try or two I call the cops and wait for my door to be breached, when that happens someone gets a face full of 00. No solo room clearing for me, just sit and wait and listen.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe