The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 26, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Smith and Wesson

Ruger SR series of pistols?

I have been looking at moderately priced pistols, and I came across Ruger's line of the SR9/40/45. So I'm interested in what you think about this gun. And how does it compare to other polymer framed pistols such as the Glock and S&W M&P (both of which I'm also interested in)?
Old May 26, 2014, 05:50 PM   #2
g.willikers

I rented a SR9 at a local range and thought it the best striker fired pistol of all the ones that I've tried.
Partly because it's very compatible in design with my venerable 1911.
The other similar types are less so.
Whether this matters or not is up to you.
But I only tried it with about 50 rounds or so and can't testify as to long term quality.
If I was actually in the market for a 9mm, I'd buy one.
Hope this helps.
Old May 26, 2014, 06:27 PM   #3
dayman

I like them quite a lot. I prefer the ergonomics on my glock, but that's entirely subjective.
I bought a sr9c for my wife because she wanted something with all the safety bells and whistles that the sr series has.
I haven't shoot it a ton, but it seems very well put together, and seems pretty ideal for someone new to handguns/ccw - or anyone else who wanted all it's numerous safety features.
It's definitely a slick little gun.
Old May 26, 2014, 07:45 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

I have had a SR9 for probably 6 or 7 years now and I love it. I'm pretty much a revolver guy and the sR9 was my first 9mm semi ( did own a 1911A1 at one time but sold it as it was a pristine collector's piece). The sR9 that I have has functioned perfecto - eaten anything I've fed it including my lead reloads.

It was my first "plastic" gun which I purchased with some reservations (I' old and like steel) but it has never disappointed me and I greatly enjoy shooting it. I normally carry a Smith Model 36 bu when I'm where I might way a little more capacity (I winter in souther AZ and am only 40 miles north of the border) - I carry the SR9. I've heard great things about the SR9c from those that own them.

I can't compare it to others such as the Smith M *& P, etc. as I haven't shot any of those. I am looking at getting a S & W Shield as I'd like a smaller 9mm and it has the features and reputation I'm looking for. I'll be getting that in 9mm as I like the cartridge.

I have never owned or shot a Glock so will reserve my thought on those. I watched a young woman shoot a 40 cal. Glock that had never fired a firearm before - she did excellent with it. I don't like the looks of them but that's just me - it won't stop me from trying one though if I get the chance - if I like the way it feels and shoots - who knows? I just might bite the bullet on one if I like it. The whole object is to keep an open mind and try a number of makes and models until you find what suits your needs.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 26, 2014, 08:26 PM   #5
ritepath

I really like my SR45...it's been a fine pistol so far. While I don't like the ergonomics as much as Glocks or M&P's it does have a thinner appearance and feel.

I think most non-haters would agree, they are a good value, shoot accurate, and are reliable.

Some whine about a manual safety, and LCI but that's just something you have to decide if you're okay with or not.

Dollar for dollar I'd have no problem buying another...

I'm married to no platform, so it's off to a 5" striker platform for me....CORE or 34/35. Decisions....decisions...
Old May 26, 2014, 11:34 PM   #6
btmj

Regarding the loaded chamber indicator: After she bought and shot a ruger (not an SR, but an LCR), my wife has decided she will never buy another autopistol without a loaded chamber indicator. I know a lot of people hate them, and I am ambivalent, but there are shooters out there who really appreciate this feature.

Oh and just to keep this thread on track... based solely on the feel of the gun and dry firing it, I think the SR rugers are pretty amazing for the price. I thought the SR9c was just about the perfect size 9mm with a great feel, nice sights, and a crisp trigger. If it was $100 more it would be a good pistol. At the typical retail street price, it is an outstanding pistol.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:55 PM   #7
jr24

I've been happy with my two SR series pistols (SR9c, SR40c). Great guns, nice and thin, easy to conceal and really, really accurate in my hands. I've got probably 3500 or so rounds in the 9mm, maybe 1000 in the .40 S&W and I've had exactly zero issues. All kinds of ammo from good to terrible. The compacts have pretty hefty recoil springs and are very soft shooters for their size, especially the 9mm. Mine really, really liked 147 grain ammo.

Carried the SR9c for a few years before I decided to try carrying 1911's and since then I just can't carry a small gun anymore (if I'm not packing a 1911, I've been packing a Glock 21).

How do they compare to M&P and Glock? IMO they are very similar in quality (opinions will vary), ergos are better than Glock and slightly worse than M&P (IMO). Trigger is better than Glock stock triggers and much better than M&P triggers (my personal bias, I hate the M&P trigger) but trigger is very subjective so YMMV.
Old May 28, 2014, 09:53 AM   #8
odugrad

Is ease of takedown important to you?
Old May 28, 2014, 08:53 PM   #9
Rogervzv

I didn't expect to like the SR series guns as much as I do. My SR40c gave me a bull's-eye the first time I shot it. The gun is really accurate.

My SR45 can go toe-to-toe with my better 1911s. Not bad for a gun that costs less than $500. It is very reliable and accurate.

The SR guns are very easy to take down all the way to the Striker. I can have an SR-series gun to "gunstore clean" standards faster than about any other platform I have.

Anyway, my $.015.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:03 AM   #10
joe-lumber

SR 9

The SR 9 was one of my first Striker fired pistols and at first the spent shells would hang up on me sometimes. After cleaning the breech throughly with a copper brush it has operated great. The trigger is good but I had a better front sight put on mine. Price is good but I will tell you that I shoot my Glock 19 more often after I had night sights put on the Glock.
J
Old May 29, 2014, 09:25 AM   #11
Oruglock

I own a Glock 17, M&P9 and SR45.

The SR45 was the cheapest of the three packages by $130 but doesn't suffer for it. Part of that saving was less stuff in the box though - it only had two magazines compared to three with the others. The M&P included a holster and magazine holder (I don't use them, but they might come in useful some day).

It has a much more visible and tangible loaded chamber indicator, a thumb safety, and a clear cocked indicator. Neither my Glock nor M&P have either of the latter, though the M&P can have one if you order that model.

For ergonomics I think the M&P wins out, but it depends on your hand size and shape. I added a $10 Hogue rubber grip to the Ruger and that fattened up the grip to my comfort level. I have large wide palms, so I like a thicker grip but not necessarily a longer reach to the trigger. With most guns I change to longer grips, and some compact models like the Glock 19 don't fit my hand due to the finger grooves.

Due to only having two magazines I had to add a third (I like at least three), which cost me a princely $45 - but that still comes in a lot cheaper than the Glock or M&P. They might be cheaper if you shop around.

Takedown is fractionally more complicated on the Ruger, but not to 1911 standards. Flip down the ejector, pull the locking pin, and hey presto.

Overall I'd say the Ruger is well worth the money, and just as good as the Glock and M&P for 'normal' use. I can't answer for longevity yet.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:26 AM   #12
jnichols2

My first pistol came close to being a Glock 17.

When I expressed some concern about it having no safety, the dealer smiled and handed me a SR40.

As soon as I held it, I bought it. The experts say to buy a gun that feels right in your hand. That was the SR40, still my favorite gun.

The SR40 has the same design as the Glock, but adds a magazine disconnect and safety. I'm neutral on the magazine disconnect, but the striker is 75% cocked when the gun is charged. It doesn't take that much to set it off.

I would feel safe with no safety on my LC9 (very long trigger pull). But I wouldn't have a Glock OR SR series without a safety.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:50 AM   #13
madmo44mag

I have a SR40c and love it.
It is my primary carry gun.
I have shot the SR9 and 45 and liked both.
My only real complaint is that 40 – 45 cal guns in polymer frames make for some snappy recoil due to the weight reduction.
I did have to replace my striker spring with one a little heavier due to light strikes of the primer every now and then.
Since replacing the spring the gun has been flawless.
Also field stripping is supper easy and detailed stripping is pretty slick as well.
Old June 29, 2014, 07:28 AM   #14
rscarawa

Throws brass in my face.

I have both an SR45 and SR9c. Bought the both this week. The 45 seems dead on accurate so far with no FTE FTL but I have only put about 50 rounds thru hit. My only problem with it is the ejection is not strong and sometimes throws brass in my face. Why does a gun do that and can this be adjusted out? Even the cases that do not go to my face only go about 3 feet to my right. By comparison, my Eseries 1911 throws cases about 10 feet to my 4-5 oclock position. Seems ejection is not the strong suit of this but but it is enought do to the job.
Old June 29, 2014, 07:50 AM   #15
ritepath

I've found ejection can be affected by the way you hold a pistol. Check out your hand, wrist, and arms movement under recoil. I've had brass to the hat bill several times with my SR45 but if I grip properly it never happens.
Old June 29, 2014, 04:23 PM   #16
bedbugbilly

I have had my SR9 for probably 6 or 7 years. It's the only center-fire semi-auto that I own as I mainly shoot revolves.

I absolutely love my SR9. It's never given me any problems and is accurate. It eats whatever I feed it - factory rounds or my re-loads.

Ruger just has come out with a SR9 E - looks to me to be a litter "cheaper" and they've left the LCI off, etc. It will be interesting to see how that does as it should be another good semi.

When I purchased my SR9, I looked at the SR9C as well. Since I CCW on the belt, I decided to go with the SR9 as for what I was looking for, it works well! I think both models are great though and I wouldn't part with mine for anything.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 29, 2014, 07:14 PM   #17
rscarawa

I shot the SR45 again today. I shot it with a firm grip but I noticed that the cases landed about 1-2 feet to my right side. That does not seem to be a powerful ejector. How far does your send the cases to the right? My 1911 Eseries sends them 4-10 feet and my SR9C sends them about 6 feet.

NOw my SR9c seems to have accuracy issues but I think that is linked to a sticky plastic recoil guide rod. I am going to replace it with an aftermarket metal one.
Old June 29, 2014, 07:17 PM   #18
tahunua001

I own an SR9C, it's not as nice as my Springfields but a lot nicer than a lot you see selling at much higher prices.
Old June 29, 2014, 09:57 PM   #19
Venom1956

The new 9e looks superior to the regular sr9 in about every possible way including making it cheaper.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old June 29, 2014, 11:00 PM   #20
JKP

I really like my SR9C and so do any of my friends that have shot it. Felt recoil is light for its size and I can shoot just as accurate as any of my other pistols or revolvers.
Old June 30, 2014, 06:06 AM   #21
ritepath

rscarawa: My SR45 tosses the brass at least 6-8 feet.

I did have a p229 that when finished with a magazine all I had to do was crouch down and pick up all the brass. I thought it was great having the brass 2 ft or less away.
Old June 30, 2014, 06:24 AM   #22
rscarawa

Well, cannot argue with convenience but I wonder if the extractor is losing grip of the cases when the barrel drops down. I looked at other sr45 videos online and they throw cases like my sr9c does. Going to call Ruger today.
Old July 1, 2014, 12:49 PM   #23
rscarawa

Have not called Ruger yet. One other point of interest. Attached are photos of four casings. The left two are from the sr45. The right 45 is from Smith and Wesson 1911. The right case is from sr9c. The sr45 cases are numbered in the order fired and U means the up side of the case while in the chamber. Notice the firing pin gash on the Ruger cases. It is worse on the 45 but still there on the sr9c case. Smith and Wesson case is just a perfect peen. So I deduce that the case is in downward motion while the firing pin is still in the primer. Is that normal?
Old July 1, 2014, 12:51 PM   #24
rscarawa

Picture of different cases but same gun.
Old July 1, 2014, 01:24 PM   #25
Erikbal

I have had my sr9c for a couple years now and it has been flawless. Great trigger, accurate right out of the box and has never had a failure of any kind. I love it! My brother liked it so much he bought one for himself as his first pistol.