The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 26, 2009, 11:19 AM   #26
azredhawk44

Multiple bullets in the same hole does not magnify wound effectiveness.

You want your bullets to all hit different organs.

3 rounds of 9/40/45/357/44 in the heart (and actually hitting it) is no more effective than 1 or 2 in the same place.

However... a single round each in the heart, lung and spine will disable an attacker more quickly.
Old August 26, 2009, 11:43 AM   #27
A_McDougal

The easiest answer is:
Switch from pistol to shotgun. 00 buckshot.

As a practical problem, if you are hitting but not stopping the threat, your problem is lack of penetration. Thick clothes, dense target, you got the unlucky box of ammo, whatever. Multiple shots to the heart that don't drop a guy = some type of body armor. Multiple head shots that don't drop a guy = stop aiming at his motorcycle helmet.

Last edited by A_McDougal; August 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old August 26, 2009, 01:49 PM   #28
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm curious as to what would make you think that your target is going to hold still so you could hit the same spot twice....

I'm no self defense expert but I do know one word that applies.... dynamic.
Old August 26, 2009, 06:06 PM   #29
Xyas

To answer the question asked of me, no I do not have any dynamic training (don't worry, I'll get some soon!) The point of the topic wasn't exactly just to learn of different ways to get bigger groups...but to also get information as to if shooting over more area of the body is recommended. I know the first post isn't worded in that way, but that's what I wished more to learn about.

The help so far has been greatly appreciated. I've tried speeding up my shots and that has spread out my groups somewhat. I wish I can find a moving target range near me...that would be really nice. Once again, thanks, and continue with more input!
Old August 26, 2009, 06:35 PM   #30
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The main reason that you don't have to worry about spreading out your shots is that all the things you want/need to hit are pretty well in one place:

as you can see, pretty well every major organ, vein and artery is in or passes through the center of the rib cage. Any bullet that hits a human being from (more or less) the bottom of the ribs on up is going to damage a major organ or artery. With the possible exception of "grazing" wounds.

Secondarily, your target is not going to be standing there getting shot, at least not after the first shot, so even if you are trying to hit the same exact spot you are unlikely to be successful.
Old August 26, 2009, 07:15 PM   #31
WIN71

You worry too much

If and when you do get in a life threatening shooting you won't have to worry about your group opening up. It will be difficult enough to get one on target.
There's several reasons for COM practice and training, not the least of which is at least getting a hit in an emergency even at 8-10 inches of error.
Old August 27, 2009, 12:25 PM   #32
Mello2u

This is an example of real world results of a shooting. Note that 6 law enforcement offices were only able to get two center of mass hits out of 59 shots fired.

This shooting has its own thread, the link to it follows:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=372758
" Frederic Bastiat
Old August 27, 2009, 02:30 PM   #33
Glenn E. Meyer

You don't want to speed up your shooting to increase group size.

Like I said - training is need in this case to appreciate speed/accuracy trade off as compared to theories out of the blue.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:27 PM   #34
45Gunner

Government training: quick draw from the strong side hip. Three rapid shots center mass. Practice this at varying distances from 5 feet out to 15 yards. This is where most fire fights are going to happen. Longer range stuff is good to practice for your ego but not realistic in a gun battle as intended target(s) will probably not be standing still.
NRA Life Member
Old August 28, 2009, 09:35 AM   #35
pax

Glenn is correct.

Spreading out your group size is NOT a desirable goal for self defense shooting.

Accurately placing the bullet exactly where you intend for it to go is a valuable and important goal.

So is being able to do so quickly enough to make a difference. The best accuracy in the world doesn't count if it doesn't arrive on target in time to save your life.

pax
Old September 1, 2009, 08:04 PM   #36
FireForged

I will always fire at center mass but I wont be disappointed unless I miss the target all together.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:11 PM   #37
GeauxTide

When you think you've heard it all........

Pose this question to a LEO or Combat Veteran......
Old September 1, 2009, 08:36 PM   #38
yamaha24

Bad enough my wife rubs it in everytime we go to the range,about her tight groupings,, now here to OH boy...
Old September 3, 2009, 10:46 AM   #39
Madcap_Magician

Shoot faster until your groups spread out and you have a speed/accuracy combination that you're comfortable with. There's no reason to be scared of not hitting on the second or third shots.... that's irrational. If you don't know if you could hit on the second or third shots, go TRY it. Then you'll know.
Old September 3, 2009, 11:17 AM   #40
serf 'rett

Sheeesh, if I could hold that kind of group, I'd at least run through a half of mag or more in case the thug had picked up some body armor on their last job. Once I felt I had punched through, then I’d scatter a few more around for effect… IF I could hold that kind of group .
And if frogs had wings...
Paint me green with envy. Interesting post though.
Old September 4, 2009, 02:03 PM   #41
chopz

i think you should practice making that smily face like mel gibson in "lethal weapon." i always wanted to be able to do that.