Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 30, 2006, 02:58 PM   #1
smince

Strange AK thread

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=244294
This is a strange thread, and seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to
Old December 30, 2006, 04:21 PM   #2
shaggy

Not really - Rob Silvers is a well known figure in the NFA community.

Many of the registered AKs either started out as underfolders or were converted to underfolders because people think they look more "cool" than full stock models. The fact of the matter is that the full stock models are better and more comfortable to shoot, but now are far more rare and difficult to find (not to mention more expensive) than an underfolder. Its a difficult process to convert an underfolder back to a full stock and can be risky but it can also be easier than trying to find a full stock gun. I've been looking for a full stock AK for some time now to convert to an RPK, but the full stock models are very hard to come by, and average about $2000-3000 more than a comparable underfolder.
Old December 30, 2006, 04:43 PM   #3
smince

Seemed strange to me to do a caliber conversion and stock conversion on what has to be a very expensive gun in the first place. I though F-A AK's were rare?
Old December 30, 2006, 06:07 PM   #4
shaggy

Quote:
I though F-A AK's were rare
All flavors of registered FA Ak47s are rare and expensive, but due to the number of people who have converted full stocked guns to underfolders, the full stocked guns are now even more rare and command a steep premium over the underfolders. When it comes to caliber, its often cheaper and far easier to find a registered Ak...ANY registered AK...and convert it if its not in the caliber you want. Keep in mind, we're talking about guns in the $14,000 to $18,000 range so spending a few hundred bucks to get it converted to the caliber you really want is relatively small change.
Old December 30, 2006, 07:09 PM   #5
oldbillthundercheif

Why are all the people in that thread assuming that the guy converted it to semi-auto?

It looks to me like he took a standard AK47 folder, put a stock on it, and swapped out the parts required to make it look and shoot like a full-auto 74...

Nifty gun.
Old December 30, 2006, 09:09 PM   #6
VUPDblue

That is a beautiful gun. I have to agree with Shaggy here, the stocked AK's are way more interesting than the underfolders. Based on what I read on THR, he basically just converted the caliber to 5.45 from 7.62. Still NFA material. Kind of like putting a LM7 or DOE upper on your registered M16 lower. Same animal, just different caliber.
Old December 30, 2006, 09:22 PM   #7
smince

Yeah, I jumped to a conclusion before the evidence was fully in.
Old December 30, 2006, 09:36 PM   #8
VUPDblue

Sounds like someone got a new 'jump to conclusions mat' for Christmas
Old December 31, 2006, 01:40 PM   #9
MisterPX

Nice conversion to 5.45. IT's gotta be a lot more fun to shoot now.
Old January 1, 2007, 08:44 AM   #10
Daves-got-guns

isnt the price of 5.45 ammo wayy too high? for awhile i was interested in more 7.62 for my ak, but i couldnt find ANY on cabelas for months it was just bizzare! Does wolf make 5.45 ammo? mite be alittle more affordable... my ak cant hit ANYTHING with consistancy after about 110 yards, and well thats part from the barrel being too warm, part from shooting only wolf ammo, and part just blammin away without actually aiming with it... lol.
Old January 1, 2007, 11:36 AM   #11
MisterPX

Quote:
isnt the price of 5.45 ammo wayy too high?
Depends what you're comparing it to. Right now, it's the same price, if not cheaper than x39. Wolf does impost a couple different varieties of 5.45, plus there's Russian and Bulgarian surplus.
Old January 1, 2007, 03:23 PM   #12
Crosshair

oldbillthundercheif

It looks to me like he took a standard AK47 folder, put a stock on it, and swapped out the parts required to make it look and shoot like a full-auto 74...

You can'y just "swap out" parts to make a gun full auto, especialy an AK. You need to drill holes in the reciever, fit parts, (Assuming you can find them) and even then it might not work. The trigger for a semi-AK is much simpler and different than an auto AK's trigger. Even though the parts look similar, they are different in important ways.
Old January 1, 2007, 05:31 PM   #13
oldbillthundercheif

It was full-auto to begin with. Read before you write.

I'm sure he had the parts fitted by someone who knew what they were doing, my previous post was vague for the sake of expediency.
Old January 2, 2007, 02:57 AM   #14
Crosshair

OK, I read the thread but missed that little detail, now it makes sence. My bad.