The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 28, 2008, 08:40 PM   #26
smokein

some of you guys are crazy.. LOL.. There is a reason that county issues a "hunting and target only" wich only allows you to have it in the car with you while traveling to and from hunting/range.. most LEO's will certainly not like to findout you have one loaded, let alone on your body..

To the OP: A quick call to Joyce is the key to resolving this. Trust me, she has all the info you need.. Talking with her and reading the actual laws are a much better source of legal info..

BTW - Last I knew Mcgrath was fine with "Unrestricted" once you have had the H&T and taken the advanced class..
Old March 28, 2008, 08:56 PM   #27
crowbeaner

I had an unrestricted CCL from an upstate county for years. If you keep your nose clean for 18 months you may be able to have the conditional restrictions lifted by the issuing judge, or another judge that issues. The restrictions are the machinations of the judge's discretion. The restrictions are just the judges way of showing his/her power to you who dare to go through the process. A neighboring county had a real jerk for an issuing judge for years, and he was finally disbarred; the judges that succeeded him were much more lenient toward the gun owning public. Take some good advice from the voice of experience; stay on the butt smooching good side of your significant other; all it takes is for her to say that she's afraid of you and your permit and guns are history like right now, you dig? All it takes is a DV complaint whether founded or not and they yank your stuff. And you NEVER get it back.
Old March 29, 2008, 12:59 AM   #28
jrm

Quote:
some of you guys are crazy.. LOL.. There is a reason that county issues a "hunting and target only" wich only allows you to have it in the car with you while traveling to and from hunting/range.. most LEO's will certainly not like to findout you have one loaded, let alone on your body..
This contradicts what I have received from reliable sources... the gun club I belong to, a SCPD officer who is knowledgeable on the topic. The gun shop owner where I buy my pistols also told me the same thing with an ATF agent standing there nodding her head. That is - when traveling to/from the range (i.e. in accordance with the restrictions of your hunting/target permit) that permits acts as a full concealed carry. In other works, you can have your pistol loaded and concealed on your person.

I cannot find anything in the law or Suffolk County rule booklet that contradicts this. I am no expert on the topic, so feel free to point out any reference to prove me wrong.

Keep in mind, however, that this "CCW loophole" is not all it seems. The ranges that I know of are cold - so where are you going to unload before you enter the range? Also, according to current SCPD rules, you can't stop between home and range - so technically, you can only carry in your car and the range's parking lot.
Old March 29, 2008, 09:02 AM   #29
smokein

This contradicts what I have received from reliable sources... the gun club I belong to, a SCPD officer who is knowledgeable on the topic. The gun shop owner where I buy my pistols also told me the same thing with an ATF agent standing there nodding her head.

I know how your feeling.. I have several friends who are in LEO in Upstate NYS, none of which really knew the difference between the permits I had. I could never get a straight answer. A week before I left NY my truck was broken into in Albany. When the officer arrived he immediatly started going through my truck (i didnt think he was gonna search like a drug bust), anyway I told him about the Glock in my center console and had my permit in hand, he read it several times, looked at me with a blank stare and said "does this mean you can carry a gun on you?" -- NO KIDDING

The way I see it, if it became a question, they would check with the issuer, your county judge. Hence playing it safe when not having an unrestricted.
Old March 30, 2008, 02:25 PM   #30
GP357

Quote:
If I understand your question , I assume you have a target license issued by 1 PP and want to know if their hunting endorsement works for Upstate NY? If that is your question, then the answer I believe is yes. You can use it to hunt upstate if you have a valid hunting license. I would check with 1 PP to make sure. I know that you can't use it to hunt in Central Park. Or at 7Th and 56Th.
Just trying to see if anyone with a NYC Resident Permit (no more target permits in NYC) has ever had a problem with this hunting endorsement. 1PP won't give me a stright answer. Like, if I go upstate to hunt, can I stay overnight or is the endorsement only godd for the trip there, hunt, come back same day. Anyone deal with this?
Old April 4, 2008, 07:21 AM   #31
xjasilx

Hello All,

I have posted on these very forums before about my headaches dealing with NY state and in particular Erie County. Over time I have just come to accept the...shall we say..."eccentricities" of NY state. Luckily, the problems seem to be county-by-county, so there is always hope to have a more rural judge take care of restricted license problems.

I will apologize up front for the semi-hijack, but I am being relocated to Albany NY for work and I noticed that some of the posters here are from that area. I do not know the area very well and am wondering what you think the best gunshops in the area are. I am very spoiled by having Buffalo Gun Center only a ten minute drive from my current location, which is and has always been a wonderful place to do business.

Any suggestions, good experiences, or places to avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Jasil
Browning 12GA Pump
Marlin 1894C
Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm
Old April 21, 2008, 11:55 AM   #32
Tomcat017

jrm: you're right. On your way to and from the range, your Suffolk permit allows you to carry concealed. I was told by a PO in the license division that no reasonable officer, in light of past inclusions in the handbook, would give you a super hard time if you were stopped for gas or a quite bite on the way back from the range. That being said, I still woulnd't try it. But directly to and from the range--no problem.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:50 AM   #33
tc556guy

Most NYS officers in my area will break your balls if you aren't being stupid. If you are being stupid, a concealed carry permit isn't going to give you any extra consideration.
Old April 22, 2008, 10:49 AM   #34
Wuchak

Your permit allows you to carry concealed legally anyplace outside of NYC and those buildings listed as off limits in the law, period. The restrictions carry no legal weight but are part of the contract between the permit holder and the issuing Judge. Violation of them can result in revocation of the permit but someone has to know that you are carrying and notify the police. Then the police have to tell the Judge and he might call you in for a meeting with him. If you are stopped for speeding or questioning by the police you do not have to tell them you have a handgun on you. And if you are following rule one of concealed carry, "Concealed means concealed", then you have no worries.

You can be anyplace and claim you are on your way to the range, or you were. I headed to the range officer but my wife called and said she wasn't feeling well and I'm going to the store to get her some medicine. If you are on your way to the range you can stop and get coffee, or ammo, or whatever. Remember you are not breaking any law, you are violating the arbitrary restrictions the Judge put on your permit. When my friend and I got our permits in the same county we each were assigned to a different Judge. The one he went to told him not to leave his gun in the car if he stopped. She wanted it in his control. The Judge I went to said to leave it in the car if it could be secured and you could remove it without attracting attention.
Old August 17, 2011, 04:14 AM   #35
adk713

In Essex and Franklin county, authorities almost exclusively issue concealed carry permits. Probably, the easiest counties in NY in terms of gun laws.
Old August 17, 2011, 04:42 AM   #36
youngunz4life

I believe Wuchak has it correct in his entire post.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf (very top right in red)

also to further one of his point, you are not required to notify a LEO that you have a weapon on you or in your vehicle. If he asks you about though, do not lie. Not only is that illegal, you are just better off being honest if questioned. Always have your license and CCW permit w/you while driving also.

here is original website if you want to learn more: www.handgunlaw.us
Old August 17, 2011, 04:25 PM   #37
federali

NYS red tape

Permitees in NYS should know that their permits are valid throughout the state except in NYC. You would need a separate permit for the city. Long Island residents who must pass through the city to get upstate may do so with the unloaded gun in a locked box and not readily accessible. The trip must be uninterrupted. You can't stop to pick up your buddy, or for gas or for coffee.

I'm retired law enforcement so I have the coveted "carry" license without restrictions. For a time, I also needed the separate NYC license but this hassle was eliminated for retirees and my Nassau County license is now valid in NYC.

NYS is an anti-gun state like MD, MA, NJ, CA and IL. I don't see any relaxation of carry privileges here in my remaining lifetime.
Old August 17, 2011, 05:52 PM   #38
maestro pistolero

Quote:
NYS is an anti-gun state like MD, MA, NJ, CA and IL. I don't see any relaxation of carry privileges here in my remaining lifetime.
I would add, except under court order. If 'bear' is clarified to apply outside of the home as part of the core right, there will indeed be a relaxing of cary laws.
Old August 19, 2011, 03:52 PM   #39
Musketeer

Quote:
Restrictions are ADMINISTRATIVE only. The permit allows CCW. Carrying outside the restrictions is not illegal but can result in revocation or suspension of the permit. This is established NYS law.

The restrictions are also ARBITRARY and will eventually face the chopping block as BEAR is clarified federally.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old August 21, 2011, 03:13 AM   #40
ClydeFrog

My $0.02 worth of legal advice....

If I were a NYer or had a valid carry/firearm permit, I'd contact the community service office or crime prevention unit to see EXACTLY what the local PD's concerns or legal issues were. Be honest & open about your firearm questions and they should assist you. Since the LE agency is where you live or work that would be where you are most often.
I'd also suggest buying a copy of www.gunlawguide.com or atty David Wong's detailed guide to US gun & knife laws. Your state AG's office or www.NRA.org may help too.

Stay safe & stay legal!
Old August 23, 2011, 08:12 PM   #41
Doug Bowser

I had a pistol permit in NY in 1963. It was unrestricted at that time. Now, hearing all these restrictions and problems, I am happy I moved to Mississippi. I have an enhanced CCW here and can carry any handgun I wish, almost anywhere I want to.

Doug Bowser
Formerly from Syracuse (Onondaga County)
Old August 24, 2011, 02:21 PM   #42
Musketeer

ClydeFrog, the problem with your well intentioned advice is the LEOs you would contact in the Long Island counties, and I would wager in others in urban regions, is their concern is that they don't want citizens carrying guns.

Suffolk county PD asks that you provide documented evidence of both previous attempts made on you life and why those threatening conditions still exist for an unrestricted permit. They specifically exempt having been the victim of a violent crime or living in a high crime area as sole justification for a permit. This is after the county legislature passed a law forbidding the county pd from adding restrictions beyond those speciically in the NYS penal law. They just ignored it and found a judge to side with them (who also gets a lifetime unrestricted permt). You are dealing with people who intentionally make it difficult to deal with. When I last renewed my permit I had to bring all 11 handguns I owned to the county headquarters so they could confirm they matched my permit and file. They were the ones who physically checked and recorded them in the first place!

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin