The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2013, 04:16 PM   #26
ChaseReynolds

I just ordered the ABCs of Reloading, will this be more about teaching me to reload and not so much recipes for ammo?
Old April 29, 2013, 04:33 PM   #27
JimDandy

Exactly. This is how to use your stuff. What to use IN your stuff comes from the brand name "manuals".
Old April 29, 2013, 07:28 PM   #28
Misssissippi Dave

Speer, Lyman, Lee etc. manuals have load data. You can also get data from the powder manufacture and often the bullet maker for multiple sources to keep things safe. Some powder measures work better with certain types of powders. It really depends on how accurate you intend to make things. I suggest not buying more than one pound of any powder you plan to use at first. After the second one pound bottle of powder and you are still happy with the load you are producing it may be time to get the bigger juggs to save some money. The HAZ-MAT fees you have to pay for on line orders will eat you up for small purchases. I normally don't buy less than 5000 primers on 8 pounds of powder. This seems to be the minimum where I start doing better than buying locally. During normal times, I like to order 15k of primers and 16 pounds of powder at one time on line. I get pretty decent pricing then.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:43 PM   #29
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseReynolds
I was looking at a progressive reloader and I would like to know how consistent the powder feeders are. I have seen them a lot on the internet and people seem to use them a lot. Are they pretty reliable?
While you can learn on a progressive, it is best to learn on a machine where not so many things are happening simultaneously. Kind of like learning to walk barefoot vs wearing roller skates. You CAN use a progressive one operation at a time, but my opinion is that is is better to start on the simpler (single stage, or turret) press. If you are certain you will be loading in quantities greater than a single stage is convenient for, an auto-indexing turret would be the way to ge (with the auto-indexing turned off at first).

Progressive presses are more involved to swap calibers. If you are going to do a run of 500 rounds of a single caliber, progressive is efficient. If you are going to do 500 rounds of 5 calibers, 100 each, a turret might even be faster. Certainly the purchase price and caliber swap kits for a progressive add up to a lot of money.

Evaluate your needs and go from there.

Powder measures (powder dispensers) vary in their reliability. All are reliable with some powder, but some are more difficult to tune/operate/maintain than others and some exhibit a preference for particular powders (displaying such with weight variations or uneven operation) depending primarily if the powder granules are flake, ball or stick.

Lost Sheep