The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 11, 2011, 11:10 AM   #1
wolfe 21

SKS info???

Hello,

I will freely admit when I know less than nothing about a specific firearm. As such, I am here to ask for opinions/knowledge. My LGS has an SKS in what I'm assuming is either a Tapco or Butler Creek Side folder stock with detachable poly mag for $250. I'm interested just because it's something I don't have and know nothing about, but would like to know a few things.

Is this a fair price? Seems in good condition, bluing is 95%+, has bi-pod and compensator.
Is there anything I should be looking for as far as glaring flaws or known defects?
I thought these guns were fixed 10 round; how'd this one develop a detachable mag? (looks like an ak mag, but with an extension in the front to secure it to the action?)

thanks for any information,
James.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:10 PM   #2
tynimiller

$250...with good rifleing is a good deal. I thought I got a good deal for my norinco one at $300. The originals are held to 10rounds with original stock, however I know there were some Chinese ones made that accept AK mags...which may be what you got your hands on...others will know more.
Old May 11, 2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Lashlarue

I sold my Norinco SKS with nothing more than a 30 round mag in 2002 for $350. I paid $99 for it and and got a 1260rd ammo box for another $99. I understand it is still humming along with nary a bobble. He still loves the spike bayonet, too!Norinco makes the best sks's. Too bad we don't or can't import them any longer. Mine like most was an unfired specamin.
Old May 11, 2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Woodencardboard

The sks originally has a 10 round fixed mag but they can easily be modified for detachable mags. $250 sounds like Good price. My norinco is set up in basically the same way.
Old May 11, 2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Without seeing it, I'd say that the price is good.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:36 PM   #6
wolfe 21

appreciate the feedback everyone. I'm honestly just interested because it's one of the few things my LGS has that I don't already own too many of (my preferences are 1911s and Ruger SAA clones). Besides, I haven't bought a rifle in almost a year, the last being a Canadian Centennial Win. 94 in 30/30.
I also wish we could still import the Norinco brand, but more for the M-14 clones than the SKS's.

I've heard these guns are reasonably more accurate than AK's. Is there anything to that (I'm not expecting MOA groups at distance, but drilling an adult size torso target at 100yds seems reasonable to me...?) Any other oddities to look for.

James.
Old May 12, 2011, 02:30 AM   #7
dean1818

Look closely at the bore to ensure that there isnt corrosion.

I bought one as a "fun" gun last year.

I like it very much !

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old May 12, 2011, 05:25 AM   #8
kadima

James,
there is a whole world of informations about the SKS on the net. I believe it is basically because of the C&R status and availability of reasonably priced rifles and cheap, while still effective ammo.

I have a 1951 Tula arsenal SKS non refurbished and in original conditions and @ 100 metres, with commercial Barnaul ammo I stay within the "8" of the 25 metres free pistol UIT target. Prone position, iron sights. 'nuff accurate?

K.
Old May 12, 2011, 07:30 AM   #9
wolfe 21

sounds good to me. I guess it's time to search the net for info and hope it's still at the shop when I go back this Saturday.

James.
Old May 12, 2011, 07:54 AM   #10
redstategunnut

Skip it. The modification to allow detachable magazines routinely results in an unreliable weapon. Spend the same money on an unmodified basic SKS, buy a few dozen stripper clips, smooth them out and drive on, you'll have a highly effective rifle.
Old May 13, 2011, 07:02 AM   #11
cecILL

Agree, find one unmolested.
Old May 13, 2011, 07:57 AM   #12
okiewita40

+ 100 with redstate
Old May 13, 2011, 09:54 AM   #13
TDodge7

My sks has detachable magazines and I haven't had a single problem . I know plenty of people with sks's that also have detachable magazines and 0 problems , no reason to skip it just because of the mags , even if it has a detachable magazine that doesn't work well you can always put an original fixed mag back into it , it's no reason to skip buying the gun . The tapco 20rd mags seem to work well with just about everyone , the metal ak looking ones not so much (except usa brand). Just stick to tapco and usa brand detachable magazines and you'll be fine . The price is good on the one you found , I'd jump on it , I love my sks .