The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Kato_Guy

inertia bullet puller???

when using that inertia bullet puller. can a person reuse everything?? Does the case need to be resized?? I neck size only. how about the primer if it needs to be resized it will be live!

thanks
kyle
Old March 22, 2007, 08:36 PM   #2
kkb

Yes you can reuse the components, and powder if you clean it out between different powder types.

Yes the case should be resized again, neck is all that's needed.

As for the primer you have two choices; 1) Remove the depriming pin from your resizer or 2) Wear safety glasses when depriming, though I've haven't had a one go off when punching out a live primer yet - knock on wood.
Old March 22, 2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Kato_Guy

thanks for the quick reply!!

you know how it is new toy gotta play!!!!

thanks again
kyle
Old March 22, 2007, 09:36 PM   #4
roger1shot

Bullet puller

Hey,
I think the rcbs bullet buller that you put on your press,
is the best way to go.
This way the bullet isen't mess up from the impack.
It only takes one down stroke and the bullet isn't flatten,on the tip.
Old March 22, 2007, 09:51 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

The hornady cam-lock is the RCBS collet puller, done one better. Instead of screwing and unscrewing the top to close and open the collet, you just throw a short lever. Nothing could be easier. And the brand new ones have a lock ring on the collet adjustment too.

Andy
Old March 22, 2007, 10:02 PM   #6
rwilson452

I cut out a piece of innertube and rolled it up and put it in the bottom of my puller. Bullets come out just fine.
Old March 22, 2007, 10:13 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I use a foam earplug in my hammer puller to salvage the bullets.

The collet type pullers have the disadvantages that you have to have a collet for every different caliber and they don't get a grip on a bullet with the ogive curve starting right at the case mouth, like many autopistol rounds.
Old March 22, 2007, 10:15 PM   #8
Kato_Guy

I looked at the hornady bullet puller. It looked just like a die with a handle on it. My wife tried to tlak me into it but I wasn't sure how my lee chalenger press would hold up to the tension. I know it isn't much but I dont know just a little worried!
Old March 22, 2007, 10:44 PM   #9
deadin

Jim hit it on the head. Collet pullers are OK for most rifle bullets but don't work for beans on pistol ammo. (Especially FWC )
Old March 23, 2007, 05:33 AM   #10
ECLIPSE45ACP

My kinetic puller works fine for pistol rounds.
Old March 23, 2007, 05:55 AM   #11
ShootingNut

What would you do

Received my new Kinetic Bullet Puller yesterday. Tried a few "taps", to remove a fully loaded .40 SW that is stuck in a Lee Shellholder, due to a not fully seated primer.
Without the self adjusting collar, the shellholder fits fine so you can screw on the plastic puller cap. Slight movement left/right though, and I wonder if banging harder could set off that primer. It it happened, that would not be pretty.
For the cost of a shellholder, would you pitch them both rather than chance
blowing off a live .40? If so, what's best, get a shovel a bury them?
Old March 23, 2007, 06:19 AM   #12
Jim Watson

A few taps is not going to get the job done. Whack it like you are driving nails, the primer is not in contact with anything to set it off.
Old March 23, 2007, 07:21 AM   #13
ShootingNut

Like drivin' nails

Oh, I can handle that. Been a builder for over 40 years, started with
hammers before the air guns were around.
The directions said "Tap", didn't want to slam it and break it up first time out.
I understand without a shellholder still on it, that the primer is not in peril when just inserting a loaded cartridge. My situation is just a tad differant with the shellholder crowding the edge of the primer, as I slam away.
Old March 23, 2007, 08:01 AM   #14
Jim Watson

All I can say is that I have never popped a primer in any step of the reloading process, including pulling bullets by inertia with a press shellholder instead of the @#$%^&* little collet. Y'all be careful, now, you hear?
Old March 23, 2007, 08:41 AM   #15
sanson

I use the forster collet puller for rifle, impact puller for pistol
Old March 24, 2007, 03:57 PM   #16
RGS

Bullet Puller Blues

I had some crimped .41 mag SWC bullets to pull. I bought an RCBS kinetic bullet puller and started in. I never was able to actually pull a bullet with the thing. I beat it to pieces after 30 minutes of "use".

Lesson learned...
Old March 24, 2007, 07:34 PM   #17
TEDDY

bullet puller

gentle men and ladies too:take the decap pin out of sizing die run loaded cart in put loaded cart in hammer and go.we are talking pistol.with rifle use hornady puller.no one can pull a wadcutter with collet puller.if you nit pick you can not use bullet again if you size case.
Old March 26, 2007, 07:56 AM   #18
.45 Vet

My RCBS collet style puller is over twenty years old, for some calibers I'm forced to use a shell holder instead of the original collet,(belted magnums).

When properly applied force is used against a 4"x4" lying on a concrete floor, I have yet to come across a SWC that wouldn't pop out after 4-5 WHACKS
Old March 26, 2007, 10:01 AM   #19
Tadpole Starr

Kinetic Bullet Puller vs Collet type

I have used both, and sure prefer the Kinetic puller. It is of a very hard plastic and is made to be hit with force. I too, have never had a primer go off. In the case of ShootingNut's primer problem, I would go with the shell holder in the puller, and slam it on the 4X4 or whatever, to get the bullet and powder out, and then pour oil in the shell to disable the primer. Do not put it in a fire, like I did. Bury it, or put it in the trash after soaking it in oil.

I put a live primer in the trash pit, and when it went off, I came in and told my wife that I had shot myself. She didn't believe me until I had her hold my Whites MXT metal detector up to my side. She laughed till she had tears in her eyes.

I too have pushed many live primers our with the RCBS sizing/depriming tool. Never had one go off either.

Always wear eye protection, as instructed in any reloading manual.
Old March 26, 2007, 12:03 PM   #20
snuffy

Quote:
bullet puller
gentle men and ladies too:take the decap pin out of sizing die run loaded cart in put loaded cart in hammer and go.we are talking pistol.with rifle use hornady puller.no one can pull a wadcutter with collet puller.if you nit pick you can not use bullet again if you size case.
Bad idea! What's going to happen here is getting a loaded shell STUCK in a sizeing die! By stuck, I mean with the rim ripped off by the shell holder. Now how do you get it out??? Why in tarnation would you want to put a LOADED shell in a resize die?

Kato_guy, the ammount of force required is actually quite small. Your lee chalenger is plenty sturdy to do the job.

As for what to hit the kenetic puller against, concrete, or a building brick. Wood is too soft, it doesn't stop the hammer quick enough to get maximum effect.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 27, 2007, 11:21 PM   #21
aaalaska

yea funny how many people ask why you got a brick on your bench,only need it every couple years but hate digging through 3 ft of snow to find one.[just cann't leave it till spring].
Old March 28, 2007, 11:32 AM   #22
78CJ

I registered on this forum just to respond to those of you who are thinking of using a shellholder in your inertia puller.

DON'T DO IT.

I did not experience it personally but I read a post a few years ago with pictures and all about a guy pulling some 45ACP bullets while waiting with his kids for the school bus. As all of you with the nylon collets will soon find out they don't last long and neither did this guy's. Since he did not have the correct collet he substituted a shellholder which will work, I tried it once. After a few whacks he had an explosion that could only be attributed to the primer hitting the shellholder. Thankfully no one was hurt.

I quickly tired of breaking collets and bought the Hornady Cam-lock.

Just thought I would try to help someone avoid a dangerous mistake.
Old March 28, 2007, 11:45 AM   #23
Scorch

Quote:
After a few whacks he had an explosion that could only be attributed to the primer hitting the shellholder.
How could a primer hit the shellholder?? I have never seen a shellholder that did not have a hole in the center, right where the primer would have to be to hit it.

I have used a kinetic puller for 30++ years, never had a problem. I have only ever met one person who beat one to pieces. I have seen collet pullers and they look like they would work OK. But I must say, the Lee bullet puller is probably one of the slickest doo-dads I have ever seen.
Old March 28, 2007, 02:14 PM   #24
snuffy

Quote:
I did not experience it personally
Exactly why this is an urban myth! I heard, someguy said, it is all BS!

In the first place a shell, not in a chamber, will NOT explode! The brass case will bulge enough to relieve the pressure so it can't build to explosion levels. Besides that smokeless powder is not an explosive, it's a propellant.

There HAVE been cases of a primer popping while using an ernertial bullet puller. It was tracked down to a rifle shell with a very loose primer pocket. The loose pocket allowed the primer to move forward, making the anvil detonate the priming compound. In several cases, it only popped the primer, the powder was NOT ignited.

The shell holders are also available through midway and others as replacement parts. They fit most companies impact pullers, they are a 3 collet set for different sized cases.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=219444

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=737910

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 28, 2007, 06:13 PM   #25
Kato_Guy

just buy the cabelas bullet puller instead of the rcbs inertia!!! it comes with 4 different collets!! I think I paid 14.99 for it too can't beat that price anywhere!! (puller with the collets)