The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 23, 2000, 08:49 PM   #1
rinoray

I have an older Sig P220 45acp. It currently has a pitted factory barrel and I want replace it. Sig charges $200 for a drop in factory barrel. Barsto charges $185 for a drop in and a gunsmith fit. I'm a reasonably competent machinist and have done several close tolerence projects (automotive engines). Am I nuts for thinking about fitting the barrel myself? A little dykem blue and very methodical steps to ensure lock up and timing. Should I call the Padded wagon now?
Thanks!
Old August 24, 2000, 07:04 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rinoray, you're on the right track. Just take your time. Patience will be the most important asset for this job. George
Old August 24, 2000, 10:42 AM   #3
Fred

Well, if you were the slightest bit technical, or knew something about cars, I'd say go ahead. But since you don't, send it to me and I'll fit it for you!

For you folks who might think I'm mean, we know each other, and rinoray has the skill to do this.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old August 24, 2000, 07:20 PM   #4
rinoray

Fred,
You a funny man! When I'm out your way next time, I'll stop by and bring the slide, barrel, and Dykem blue. We don't have to talk about cars.

Regards,
rinoray