The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: My assessment coupled with yours, XS Big Dot sights?
Yay 18 56.25%
Nay 14 43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 27, 2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

XS Big Dot's..

What do you guys think about XS Big Dots?

XS Big Dot

I'm curious to know peoples assessment of these sights. I can't really fully commit to something that I don't know. I don't have the patience to be changing night sights at random. I am very curious about these.

I feel like they are easy to acquire on a quick draw. But in my experiences you don't necessarily use your sights if you're doing a quick draw to engage and fire. It's draw, point, and shoot.

Here's where I am held back from buying them.

I feel like with something like Trijicon HD's (which I have) you have the best of both worlds. Precision of the notch / 3-dot sights. With the front sight being nice and bright.

With XS (or so it appears to me) you only have close quarter precision. Along with a faster sight picture in transitioning between targets.

I'm considering them for a CCW. Specifically my Glock 19. I'm getting a new Slide and barrel from Glock. So might as well search for new sights.

So what's your take on XS's big dots? Use them? Used them? Love them? Hate them?

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; March 27, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old March 27, 2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Skadoosh

Have a XS Standard Dot Tritium Express Set on my Sig P226. Very fast. I like them a lot. I prefer them over three dot tritium sights.
Old March 27, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Gaerek

When I first started shooting handguns, I tried a set of XS Big Dots on my Mother In Law's Glock 26. At first, I really hated them, because, especially at longer ranges, they weren't particularly accurate. With a G26 and standard sights, I got tighter groups at greater than 15 yards. Once I started learning more, and realizing that an inch or two at 25 yards isn't a huge deal, I realized how much I liked them. I don't have a set currently, but am seriously looking at getting some soon. They are so fast. You mention how you might not use the sights if it's a quick draw type situation, but unless you're shooting from some kind of compressed or retention position, your sights will be in front of you, and that big dot is so easy to pick up.

See if you can find a gun with them you can shoot. I wish I had gotten them when I was looking at replacing my sights originally. As soon as I can justify it, I'll probably look at getting a set. They're just so fast and quick to pick up.
Old March 27, 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Contrast Man

I've never been a huge fan of the "dotting the i" style of sights. I find I can transition from Target to Target faster with a three dot setup simply because its what I'm used to. If it were me and money wasn't an issue, I would probably go ahead and get a set for the new slide but I wouldn't carry it. Otherwise I would just put the money towards something else.
Old March 27, 2013, 04:33 PM   #5
output

I like and use XS sights on a couple of my pistols.

The XS sites are accurate and are not given enough credit for the level of precision they are capable of yielding. In my opinion within 20 yards they cannot be touched (especially for defensive purposes.) My previous sentence does not mean they are inaccurate past 20 yards. For longer rage shooting you will need to practice with them. I shoot out to 50 yards with no problem, but I am not shooting at golf balls I shoot at 14” steel plates.

I attached a picture of the XS Big dot sight next to a stock Glock front sight. The “big dot” is only slightly larger in size. I hope this post helped a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BIG Dot.jpg (239.1 KB, 244 views)
Old March 27, 2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

I sincerely expected to have more negative feedback from this forum on these sights. Thanks for the honesty.

Been wanting them. I guess I'll get them and try them out. If I don't like them on my CCW G19 I'll put them on my Glock 17.

I've read that some have issues past XX yards. Others don't.. etc etc. I'd rather draw my own conclusion then I guess. Too many mixed feelings on them.
Old March 27, 2013, 06:53 PM   #7
orionengnr

When I bought my PM9 (used) it had the XS Big Dot on it. I was not at all impressed. It's been five or six years, so I don't recall, but I either shot very high or very low with them.

For me it was very unlike anything else I owned and I did not see any advantage. I was unwilling to make that adjustment (or convert everything else over to match). I swapped out for traditional three-dot night sights. My PM9 is a keeper. The Big Dot...not so much.

If you only have one gun, and it has this sight, that may work well for you.
Old March 27, 2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I either shot very high or very low with them.

I think I've heard that the most.

See? That's the other side of my brain. Telling me to stick to what I already know.

I don't know anyone here that has XS big dots on their gun. Wish I could try them out.

Cause I'm really thinking about trying them out on my own dime. But it'll be a waste if I end up not liking them.
Old March 28, 2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Decided I'm not going to get them.

While I carry my Glock 19 and know I can "get used to" these sights. I don't only CCW, I'm an avid shooter as well and a collector. So I'm going to pass on changing the sights on my main handled and fired gun that I depend my life to.

Just going to get HD's or something.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:39 AM   #10
xsquidgator

Meh

I have XS sights on a Glock 23.
With lots of effort and care, and slowing down to fine-tune my sight alignment, I can be accurate with them. Otherwise I have the shooting too high or too low problem with that big fat dot.
I prefer regular 3-dot night sights though and have them on everything else. Just as accurate, and for me at least as fast to use regular 3-dot sights as the XS sights.

I don't hate my XS sights and have no plans to replace them, but I'm not planning to buy any more either. Regular 3-dot for me going forward.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:42 AM   #11
9mm

They look great on the Bobcat/Tomcat in the picture on their sight. I say for smaller guns they are a must. Who was the 3 that said "nay" are they pirates?
Old March 29, 2013, 02:03 PM   #12
rburch

I had a set on my CZ PCR. I replaced them.

I'm faster and far more precise with standard sights.

While the sights were amazingly fast at close ranges, I realized I could be almost as accurate, and even faster not using sights at those ranges.

That said I fully intend to get a big dot front on my J-frame. I've held a snubby that had one, and it just worked somehow.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:21 PM   #13
dsa1115

I like the "dotting the I" sight picture but prefer the XS standard dot front sight over the XS big dot front sight.
Old March 29, 2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

XS Big Dot's..

Now I'm just waiting for my Glock 19 to get back.
Old April 12, 2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Ben Dover

I have the "Big Dot" sights on both of my SIG-Sauer every day carry pistols.

After trying out half a dozen different night sights, I settled on the Big Dots.

Thus far, I have seen no down side to them.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old April 13, 2013, 03:07 AM   #16
Bartholomew Roberts

I have an XS Big Dot night sight on one of my Hi-Powers, oddly, it isn't the big dot I have a problem with but the rounded top. I am used to seeing the corners in crisp focus to verify I am focused on the front sight and just could never get used to the rounded top of the XS.

Also, for myself personally, I am not seeing any speed advantage over my Novak sights when I break out the timer. The flip side of that is I am not seeing the often reported downside to long range accuracy either. In fact, one of my best shots ever - a 50yd knock down of a popper from the running board of a Ford Explorer was made using a XS Big Dot.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:00 PM   #17
Vermonter

I like mine

Then again the big dot is on a shotgun In my case. Constantine if you don't like em maybe I will buy em off you.
Old April 14, 2013, 06:56 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

XS Big Dot's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
Then again the big dot is on a shotgun In my case. Constantine if you don't like em maybe I will buy em off you.
I haven't bought them yet, I was going to but had my doubts lol. Thanks though brother. I went with the trijicon HD's instead.

Yeah. Still in bed. Oh Sunday.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:08 AM   #19
Nathan

I went from a set of XS Big Dot sights to a normal front night sight and a dotless Novak RR. My group sizes went from ~3.5" to ~1" at 15 yards. I feel like I have lost zero speed.

IMO, they are a system which seems like they would be the best, but they are about the same. Accuracy is awful. My eyes never seemed to care if it was centered in the V and the bias of the V on bottom always made me shoot low.

To add to this, I would avoid TRO's also. They are too big for their mounting foot size...read can be moved by a moderate impact.
Old April 15, 2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Ben Dover

I would love to have an aimpoint on my EDCpistol if it was available in a package the diamter of a cigarette and 1/2 inch long.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old April 18, 2013, 08:01 PM   #21
bledsoeG19

I have big dots on my G19. Love them. Sight acquisition is awesome. And so far as accuracy is concerned, I cut a .270 WIN casing almost in two from a draw at 12 yards. I couldn't do that with the factory sights.
Old April 19, 2013, 06:44 AM   #22
Bartholomew Roberts

My bad, I just wanted to add that the sights I have are the XS Standard Dot; not the Big Dot.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:23 AM   #23
dayman

So, I'm a little late to the party. But, for the sake of anyone who actually uses the [admittedly difficult to use] search function before they start a new thread, or any lurkers, here's my take.

I have their standard dot as the front sight on my sp101 - which didn't have a rear to begin with - and it's rather spectacular. I can pick up the sights fast, and speed (DA) shooting silhouettes @ 10 yards my shots are all within COM, so I don't have any complaints there.
For more - and I'm talking in relative terms here - precision shooting it took some getting used to, but I can hit COM @25yds, which is all I really expect/need/can do with a snub anyway.

So, to summarize, I love the standard dot, but it's already quite large, so I'm not sure how useful their "big dot" would be on a handgun.
I'm also not sure that I'd want to give up the rear on a gun where it was an option.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:10 AM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I have their standard dot as the front sight on my sp101 - which didn't have a rear to begin with - and it's rather spectacular. I can pick up the sights fast, and speed (DA) shooting silhouettes @ 10 yards my shots are all within COM, so I don't have any complaints there.
For more - and I'm talking in relative terms here - precision shooting it took some getting used to, but I can hit COM @25yds, which is all I really expect/need/can do with a snub anyway.

Very insightful. (lol)

I actually agree with you. In that for self defense they are great. I was really considering them.

Though how I see it..Is that it's fast. Really fast in moving from target to target. Which in my experience doesn't really require looking directly at the front sight. But with the XS big dot, your peripheral catches it. Which is outstanding.

So CQC it's good to go. That base is covered.

What if for the sake of conversation and for never knowing what will truly happen..You need to make a farther shot and/or are holding down on someone and need to make a precise shot? I don't feel (while other who practice a lot with XS's sight do) feel confident in taking a precise shot with them. I feel I shouldn't have to ruin myself when I'm already trained and tuned to the standard 3-dot sight. ("don't fix what ain't broke")

I feel I have more bases loaded with the Trijicon HD's. I have the same peripheral pick up on it's front sight and the precise 3-dot for long shots, in the event (God forbid) I may ever have to.

Anyone want to add?
Old April 19, 2013, 09:40 AM   #25
Frank Ettin
Staff

The XS Big Dot has always intrigued me, but a few years ago I tried a gold dot front sight with a wide notch rear. I liked the setup and wrote this article about it.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper