The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 10, 2008, 02:52 PM   #1
Tom Mayes

Beretta AL2 ?

I just recently bought one of these 28" VR with fixed mod. Are these shotguns alright? Do they have any common problems?? Thanks guys
Old May 11, 2008, 04:34 AM   #2
LanceOregon

If the shotgun is in good condition, it should serve you fine. They were built at the end of the 60's, though the mid '70's, when Beretta's were still being imported by Garcia.

The main problem that I have heard of is when they have not had their gas system cleaned over a period of years. If the gun was properly cared for and kept clean, then that should not be a problem. Just be good about cleaning the gas system yourself on the gun, on a regular basis.

Shooters Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube cleaner does wonders in cleaning residue build up in any gas operated action. I highly recommend it for maintaining your shotgun.

They did make some magnum models in the '70's that say MAGNUM on them, and which have 3" chambers. If that is what your gun is, it may have problems shooting light 2 3/4" target loads. If your gun has a 2 3/4" chamber, then that should not be any concern.

The main drawback to the gun is its fixed choke barrel. The barrels are interchangeable with the Beretta models 300, 302, and 303, as well as the Browning B-80. Note: The Browning B-80 was simply a Beretta with the Browning label put on it.

The Beretta 303 used their then new Beretta Mobilchoke tube system. And the Browning B-80 used the original Browning Invector Choke Tubes. So if you were able to find an extra barrel made for either of those guns, it would both fit your shotgun, and also give you the ability to change chokes on it.

All Beretta semiauto shotguns are very well designed and built guns. I own 2 model 390's myself, two model 391's, and one of the super 391 Extrema 2's It is very hard to go wrong when choosing a Beretta shotgun.

Beretta auto shotguns are all that I shoot now for both hunting and target shooting ( mainly sporting clays ). I sold one Browning Gold, and gave another to my son. I did keep my old Browning A-5, as it is such a classic. But it is now too much of a collectors piece to shoot. So it, along with my two 390's are retired now, and just part of my gun collection.

Good luck with your new shotgun!
Old May 11, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Ruger4570

LanceOregon pretty well summed it up. I had an AL 2 then moved on to a 303 and a couple of years ago a 390 Silver Mallard with wood you wouldn't beleive. Berreta has always made good guns, some just better than others and of course, they change with technology.
Old May 11, 2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Tom Mayes

thanks

Thanks for all of the info I am into the remingtons myself i just got such a good deal on it and in such good condition i figured what the hell. Compared the the remingtons how much different is the breakdown procedure?? I didnt want to try taking it apart unless i knew i could get it back together.