The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2001, 08:37 PM   #1
Andy G

How hard is it to change an 870 saftey?

Im thinking buying a new 870 but I hate the new safteys. How hard is it to change it to the old style?

Thanks
Andy G
Old November 3, 2001, 10:18 PM   #2
Guyon

Piece of cake. I've changed out three (two 870s and an 1100) in just a few minutes each. Lessee, I'm going on memory here, so let me try and get it right...

Once you've popped out the trigger assembly, seems like you remove the small spring connected behind the hammer and slide out that little round piece of steel through which one of the retaining pins fits. Since I don't have the trigger assembly in front of me, I can't remember exactly why I removed these parts, but I remember doing it. Seems like removing them made it easier to get to the next steps...

Next, there's a little silver-colored pin that sits horizontally above the existing safety. Push it out with some type of small punch. Be careful though. Underneath this pin is a tiny spring that will pop out into the four winds never to be found again. Under the spring is a small detent pin. Once this little pin is out, the existing safety will slide right out. Slide in your new safety in the right direction and reassemble.

The toughtest part is getting the tiny spring back underneath that little silver pin. I've found that the "key" that comes with the PC safety is a pretty good tool for depressing the spring while you slide the silver pin back over it. Good luck!

BTW, Wilson Combat has the old style 870 safeties for $4. They're on the internet specials page.
Old November 4, 2001, 07:54 AM   #3
Andy G

Thanks a lot Guyon! That was a big help.

Andy G
Old November 4, 2001, 08:47 AM   #4
old hawk

take a peek at the 870 page i did sometime,may help you out with some things including the pc fix on the safety.
http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/870.html
Old November 4, 2001, 08:57 AM   #5
Andy G

Thanks Old Hawk!
Actually Ive saw your page before and I have it saved to my favorites for future referance. It was a ton of good info on it.

Andy G
Old November 4, 2001, 09:11 AM   #6
old hawk

thanx andy,i try harder.......