The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 15, 2000, 05:53 PM   #1
LASur5r

Have any one had an experience that seemed unreal? I mean, when it was over, that you still felt that it didn't happen or it was just your imagination?

When I was dating my girlfriend (now my wife), I had to drive a long narrow, winding road into the foothills to pick her up at her mom's house. Shortly after the Sylmar earthquake, we had a lot of weird stuff happen as a result of the earthquake...one of which was, a lot of dogs became homeless and started forming packs...we had incidences of pack attacks on victims...in one of the large parks, two dogs even dragged down a horse in the horse riding path.
One night after work, I decided to take my then girlfriend out to dinner and when I got into the foothills, we had a thick toolie (sp?) fog. I ended parking a half a block away from the front door and started walking up the hill, when I noticed a shadow of a dog...looked like a black lab in front of me. I stopped short and looked past the dog and saw another type of dog, but same size.
I had left my officer's model in the car because I figure I was just going to pick her up and we would be off to the eaterie...mind on something else, that's what I get...! (Sure it was on eating....)
Since they blocked my forward movement, I thought I could back up to my car to get the piece.
Growl! I turned my head only and saw two more dogs in my retreat path. Darn! Can't make a strategic retreat.
I started to walk wide to the left of the dogs in front of me...only about 15 feet to that side, then a shear drop, but no dogs there?....darn...two more near the edge...Look to the right again...looking for someplace that either I can run...or more likely make a stand with something against my back...
I get to an area that I figure I'll have to fight my way out of...I get into a low stance, figuring I can throw off their attack by making myself a smaller target, when one of the dogs howls. I look towards the sound and there's no dogs!
Thinking it was a feint and they were coming from my flank, i turn there...no dogs!
Doing a fast switchback to check my 6, I didn't see any dog. They had vanished as quietly and mysteriously as they had appeared!

I went to my car, secured my OM and went to pick up my girlfriend, just shaking my head, not believing what I had seen to this day.

Anybody else have a strange experience?
Old September 17, 2000, 09:26 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

(I think it's "tule" fog.)

I don't care what anybody else believes, I think animals can sense attitudes, whether fear or hatred--whatever. A predator has to be pretty hungry before really taking a chance on not-easy prey. Possibly your emotions and stance indicated there would be more work than pleasure in taking you down--and dogs have some sense of fear of humans when humans are hostile.

Other than that area of guessing, damfino.

Art
Old September 17, 2000, 09:59 AM   #3
fubsy

Nope, nothing along those lines.....I have had a few happen that I wish had not happened but that is were experience comes from when your as stubborn as I am....fubsy...
Old September 17, 2000, 08:47 PM   #4
Correia

Thats just creepy...
Old September 18, 2000, 07:13 AM   #5
David Scott

Your wife's maiden name wasn't Baskerville, was it?

"They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!"
Old September 18, 2000, 04:13 PM   #6
CD1

I used to drive from suburban DC to Greensville NC every weekend. After a long day of work, Id get in the car and drive half the night. I had several hallucinations due to sleep deprivation. They seem absolutely real at the time. I saw a little leprachaun (sp?) sized guy waving at me from behing one of the mile markers on the highway, only to run off as I passed him. Another was having a gigantic pink rabbit hopping along next to me in the fast lane. Both seemed absolutely real at the time, meaning I actually saw them with my own eyes. I knew that almost immediately what was happening, but probably only because they were so outrageous. Something like those dogs is a little more believable to the mind.
Old September 18, 2000, 07:17 PM   #7
LASur5r

Well,...folks, if we're headed in that direction...then in central California there was the story of the "Green Lady."
Whenever the tule fogs came in along the coast, you could see the "Green Lady" thumbing a ride and if you saw her, then your car would conk out...many were the abandoned vehicles along the coast with the occupants never to be found....
So some night when you are driving in the tules and you see a lady in green trying to thumb a ride and you're not sure what you saw...all you have to do is look up in your rearview mirror...who knows what you'll see...