The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2010, 09:41 AM   #1
isanchez2008

First reloads for my 380auto

Had some surprising results yesterday at the range. I loaded up some rounds for my P3AT. Heres the recipe.
90gr Speer GDHP
6.3grs AA No7, Hornady Nickel cases
Win Small Pistol
COAL 0.970"
Average 950fps

3.0grs Bullseye
Same cases and primers.
Average 840fps.

I was rather surprised by the No7 loads. Upon close inspection these had signs of overpressure. It also sent the brass really far compared to factory rounds. The bullseye didn't recoil quite as much and had no signs of overpressure and I'm still below the listed max. I will work up some more and see where it goes. Oh and for reference, out of my gun Hornady Critical Defense was reading at an average of 860fps.
Old August 2, 2010, 10:34 AM   #2
spacecoast

6.3 grains of AA7 (or anything for that matter) sounds like a LOT for a 380. I'm surprised it even fit in the case, did you have to compress it?

I use 3.6 grains of AA2 under either a 95 gr. JHP or 100 gr. RNHB plated bullet as my "warm" load. 3.0 grains under a 95 gr. LRN makes a nice soft target load.
Old August 2, 2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Dave R

When I begain handloading for my P-3AT, I had problems with over-pressure, too. I used Unique, and ran loads from the min in Speer No 13 book to the max.

Before I got to the max, I was getting overpressure signs. Particularly bulging cases, with the bulge in the area of the case that is unsupported by the chamber. That scared me pretty bad, so I backed off the load until I got one that was showing no bulging of the case. That was about the mid load in Speer No. 13. And that was as high as I felt comfortable going.
Old August 3, 2010, 03:31 AM   #4
warningshot

Great .380, (9X17), posts

Does anyone see overpressure signs with Self-Defense loads when using that gun?

I've loaded .380s to the max manual limit with no problems. And, I'd test same bullet wt. U.S. factory loaded 380's and they were much more powerfull than what I brewed-up. l still didn't see any over pressure signs.

My .380 experience has been limited to all steel guns of yersteryear.
Old August 3, 2010, 11:00 AM   #5
isanchez2008

Quote:
6.3 grains of AA7 (or anything for that matter) sounds like a LOT for a 380. I'm surprised it even fit in the case, did you have to compress it?
See the latest Speer manual. It is the starting load. Didn't have to compress it. With it being the start load and already being rather hot I am going to see what I can do with bullseye instead. Hopefully have more range reports this weekend.
Old August 3, 2010, 12:07 PM   #6
RamSlammer

I've tried the Buffalo Bore 100 gr. LRNFP which averaged 1158 fps from my P3AT. There were none to very slight signs of overpressure . . . maybe a small bit of primer flattening, but not significant. They use Starline cases which have a reputation as being a but tougher than mainstream ammo makers' cases. This may help. Also, nickel plated cases seem to exaggerate the appearance of bulging, etc.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Wrangler5

Interesting results. When I loaded the 90g GDHP for my P3AT I was trying to match the commercial round, which went ~875fps across my chrono. I had to go to 6.7g of #7 to duplicate that velocity - the starting load of 6.3g only averaged 817fps.

I could get the desired velocity with AA#2, but got bulged cases to go with it.
Old August 5, 2010, 03:23 AM   #8
spacecoast

This page might be helpful if you haven't seen it already. Lot of options. AA7 must be a pretty dense powder, its charge weights are greater than any of the others listed.

http://www.reloadammo.com/380auto.htm
Old August 5, 2010, 09:10 AM   #9
wisoldguy

NOTE: THIS LOAD INFORMATION IS FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES ONLY. YOU NEED TO WORK UP YOUR OWN LOADS AND DETERMINE WHAT IS SAFE FOR YOUR GUN. USE OF THIS INFORMATION IS AT YOUR OWN DISGRESSION.

I also reload for my .380.

I have worked with Unique and Horn 90 gr. XTP-HP. I was using an old Horn manual from about 1977 or so. It showed a max load of 4.8 of Unique. I started at 4.4 then 4.6 and finally 4.8. All shot well out of my Llama MicroMax. No signs of over pressure in MY gun. Visual inspection only, did not mic the case diameter.

Recently purchased a ballistic analysis software program. Dollars well spent!!! According to the software my 4.6 and 4.8 loads were way overpressure!!!

The 4.4 load is overpressure if overall cartridge length is .965 but the software shows that if I lengthen cartridge to .970, pressure drops to just under max pressure. .005 makes a big difference.

I have settled on 4.3 gr. Unique which gives me about 1070 fps and approx 225 fpe at the muzzle of the 3.66" barrel.
Old August 23, 2010, 02:59 PM   #10
isanchez2008

I hit the range yesterday I had the chance to chrono some 380 Winchester Ranger JHP. They were running right around 860fps from my P3AT. Just thought I would give you guys a heads up. I also chrono'd some of my 500 S&W Mag loads but that will be in a different thread.