The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 26, 2000, 03:21 PM   #1
R&H

I would like to get into varmint hunting, mostly coyotes and foxes. I just bought a varmint call and was wondering if anyone had any advice on calling. What does a dying rabbit sound like? All the ones I have killed I shot with a 30-06 and they didn't make any noise besides POP!
Old February 26, 2000, 05:30 PM   #2
muleshoe

Pop! hehehe.

Your best bet is to buy a demonstration tape.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control
Old February 26, 2000, 11:35 PM   #3
Hueco

Hello. On this page, there are some sample *.wavs of him calling. Listen to them and you can hear exactly how to do it! Good luck! 30'06 on rabbits? Whoa.
http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/ahunt.htm

Hueco

Old February 28, 2000, 08:14 AM   #4
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Hueco,
What's wrong with 30-06 on rabbits? It was my first centerfire rifle, and used 130 gr Hollow points at first. Then started to cast 170grain flat points out of straight wheel weights, and loading them to about 1100 fps, accurate, quiet, easy on the shoulder, and usually leaves the rabbit in two pieces.
The good old "aught six", ready for any situation
Old February 28, 2000, 11:20 AM   #5
Paul B.

Tabing. How right you are. A few years back, I got a .375 H&H. Shot ground squirrels with it for a month, before taking it on an elk hunt. Full power 300 gr. loads. WOW! was that fun. It would zip right through them leaving an almost perfect .375 caliber hole.
R&H. I see from your profile you're in Logan, UT. I have a daughter that lives there. Maybe next time I'm up that way, I can give you a lesson on calling "yodel pups".
The big problem is if calling is a big time deal, the "pups" get educated real fast. You miss a called "pup" and he'll never come to that type of call again, and maybe never to any other kind as well.
Paul B.
Old March 1, 2000, 01:44 PM   #6
Hueco

Hey! Well, 30'06 is great for rabbits IMO. Flat trajectory, wide range of loads for different conditions, and of course it has power! The 30'06 is so versatile...it works well for just about anything! My "whoa" was for the impending carnage should the shooter use full-power loads. Have a good one!

Hueco