The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2012, 12:28 PM   #1
napg19

mossberg .41∅ pump shot gun

The other day at my lgs i was handling anew mossberg. 410 pump cruiser shotgun and the pump handle did alot of rocking side to side as though trying to rotate it. That seemed to me to.be.alot of play . So i checked out a used mossberg. 410 pump with 24" barrel and it di same thing. I coumld also put my hand on the barrel in fron of reciever and rotate barrel on both guns ever so sligtly that i did not buy either gun. Is this.tiypical of mossberg? Once i had a ithica and winchester pump and don't remember these problems. Typing tjis on a cell phone. Thanks.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:37 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

The slide of Mossberg's rocks a little bit more than most pumps. As for the barrel sllightly rocking, was the barrel lugged screwed down tight?
Old October 29, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3
napg19

Thanks KlawMan. I'll check that out.
Old October 30, 2012, 09:04 AM   #4
publius

Yep, Mossberg forends are a little loose and rattly. Perfectly normal. The barrel should absolutely not be moving though.
Old November 1, 2012, 02:36 PM   #5
davem

I have a Mossberg 500. Slide moves around and it's the only thing I don't like about the gun, otherwise good. That little 410, I've handled a few and I always thought it would make a great squirrel gun in the respect that you are usually pretty close so the small shot charge should be OK.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Pfletch83

To the O.P.

I own both examples of the mossberg 500E .410's

I haven't had the problem mentioned with the barrels,the forearms have rattle to them.

This is something I have noticed about the cruiser version,and that if the shooter isn't careful the forearm will bind and want to twist when working the action,the cure for the problem is a simple one,remove the pistol grip only stock,and throw on a 13.5 inch synthetic stock.

For a home defense setup the little .410's offer more than most folks think.

The 24-inch field model is model number 50104,it has the same total capacity as the cruiser (or Model number 50455) and because of such barrels can be interchanged between the two.

$66.18 can get a spare 50455 barrel (Which turns the field model into what I have taken to calling the DFG Mk-1,the DFG Mk-2 is the Cruiser with a normal stock in place of the P.G.O. )

They do a very good job with the Federal 3-inch #4 buck,and 2-1/2 inch Federal '000' buck.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:50 AM   #7
jmortimer

"For a home defense setup the little .410's offer more than most folks think"
Way more - OOO buck or Brenneke slugs will smoke most any problem. 800 ft lbs is plenty of self-defense.
Old November 3, 2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Pfletch83

I know for a fact I don't want to be on the wrong side of one with either buckshot loads or slugs.

I haven't tried very many slug loads except for the winchester 3-inch (though I was able to lay hands on a box of 2-1/2 inch winchester slugs yesterday)

The brenneke slugs seem better suited for hunting (heavier than the 1/4 -1/5 ounce offerings from Winchester) in my view the 1/4-1/5 ounce loads would be better for defense on a threat beyond buckshot range.

With the right barrel and choke (Like the one found on the 50455) you have a more accurate launch without deformation from say a full choke.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Do the Mossbergs use one or two action bars?

Often a shotgun with only one action bar will have a LOT more forearm play than one with two.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:11 AM   #10
jmortimer

two - they are "loose" but they work. The Ithaca 37 is a single action bar but it seems to work well.