The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2000, 08:42 AM   #1
Bullshooter

Always on an economy kick (well, not according to my wife), I notice that there's a significant price difference between jacketed and plated bullets. I know and understand the difference, but being new to handloading, what performance difference can I expect?
Old December 18, 2000, 01:44 PM   #2
Cat

I shoot a lot of plated bulets. In 9mm, .38, and .45 acp.
It goes back a year or so to discovering an elevated level of lead in my blood. I decided to cut down on the indoor winter shooting, clean up after shooting, and cut back on lead bullets. I still load some lead bullets, but use gloves when handling them at the press.
The savings on plated over jacketed isn't a lot, but when you shoot many thousands a year it does add up.
For plated bullets I use Berry's Manufacuring. They are accurate and a quality product. They are about the least expensive I could find and they pay shipping.
you can order by mail, telephone or on the net.

Try them:
http://www.berrysmfg.com/

Neil Casper
Old December 18, 2000, 08:13 PM   #3
Banzai

For economy and ease of clean up, nothing beats plated bullets. I agree that Barry's are the best out there, and I've got plenty of frequent flier miles in all of my pistols (all the popular calibers) with their products!!!

Load to start loads for regular jacketed bullets and you'll do fine.

You should notice about the same velocities as jackets in the lower loadings, with a little drop off in accuracy. The soft lead conforms real well (seals in gas pressure) and the copper prevents it from melting, thus leading your barrel. Because it seals so well, avoid using higher loads as this could be dangerous to life and limb!!

These bullets are an effective cost bridges between lead and jackets, and are usually used for plinking as much as anything else. I love 'em, and go through about 500 a week in 9/40/45.

Work great with Hodgdon's TiteGroup. Feel free to email me and I can share some of my favorite recipes with you.

Tom
Old December 20, 2000, 06:52 PM   #4
Chris McDermott

If by performance you are talking terminal performance for hunting - the plated bullets will act just like the equivalent lead bullets. Since plated bullets are usually made from a soft swadged lead bullet, they flatten/expand whenever they hit anything. The thin layer of copper plate on the outside keeps them from leading the bore of the barrel, but it will still act like a soft lead bullet when it hits something. If you get some made from a hard cast lead bullet, then they don't expand and will give deep penetration - just like hard cast lead bullets do.