The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Josh Smith

My Critter-Gitter .45acp Load

My .45acp Critter-Gitter load, 51 rounds:

... and cleaned the 1911 yesterday, detail strip.

The load is a nominal 5.2 grains of W231 under a my soft-cast (almost pure lead, with just enough tin to let it flow but not frost at high heat) flat nose, truncated cone 230 grain nominal, 235 to 240 grain actual (due to the alloy used).

Be aware that this MAX according to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook but pressure is listed as about 3kpsi under standard .45acp. Start low at about 4.2 grains and work up to 5.2 MAX.

This load is the longest I could take it with this bullet and still have it function in the magazines. This usually means 1.275COL for round nose but, in this case using truncated cone, it maxed out at an even 1.25COL.

Lube was homemade. Don't remember the particular blend I had on these boolits. Something like beeswax, LLA, lanolin and Militec-1. May have some paraffin in there. Something fancy that I'll not be doing again. Next will be beeswax/Crisco/lanolin or something simple like that!

Josh
Old October 10, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
spacecoast

Those are nice-looking rounds
Old October 12, 2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Fullthrottle

Very nice looking rounds Josh. How do they perform?

Also I did not know you were on this forum.

Fullthrottle
AKA Bigtwin(from calguns)
Old October 12, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Archie

What sort of critters do they get?

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old October 13, 2012, 02:43 AM   #5
Josh Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullthrottle
Very nice looking rounds Josh. How do they perform?

Also I did not know you were on this forum.

Fullthrottle
AKA Bigtwin(from calguns)
Oh, I'm all over. I started on the original firearms boards back when the Internet was new, and as the boards diverged I've signed up to each of them trying to stay where friends went. Now I'm in more places than I can manage and my orbits are taming down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie
What sort of critters do they get?
Which critters? Any of 'em that may need killin' around here. I live in the country and figure it will work from coyotes on down. Looks like most of the feral hog population has stopped a bit south, Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky, but they'll get here eventually. Probably end up giving it a +P punch when they become a real threat. I have ground out back they'd root up given the chance. Prime hog wallow that serves deer at this point.

If we're talking primarily two-legged critters, I figure these should work just fine, but I carry Gold Dots and switch out when I go to town. I doubt it would be an issue here as we generally concentrate on whether the shooting was needed, but there's always a chance that some lawyer from over in Illinois might have migrated here, I guess.

Josh
Old October 13, 2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Clifford L. Hughes

Josh Smith:

My .45 ACP critter bullet is the Hornady 200 grain XTP loaded to 1020 fps and shot through a Smith & Wesson model 625. Hunting pigs with dogs I shot a pig at point blank range. The bullet ranged diagonally from in front of the shoulder for ten or twelve inches taking out three inches of neck bone on it way to lodge behind the jaw bone on the opposite side.

Semper Fi.
Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes