The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2012, 07:52 AM   #1
FJ40

powder charge for 45 acp

I am looking for some insight on what powder charge to use. I just picked up 500 Magtech 230gr FMC bullets. I have been looking at several references for powder charges and I am seeing mixed information. I would like to use PowerPistol powder or possibly Unique. I have seen everything from 7.2gr to 8.6gr for max load with Power pistol....... That is a big jump...... I really don't need to have my Kimber come apart in my hands.

I am just reloading for target use but, I want something that will be accurate and still feel like a factory round.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Try 7 grains and see if it will cycle reliably in your pistol, no need for gitty-up-go loads for target practice. You can gradually move up in .2 grain increments but you are going to use a lot of powder and get a lot of muzzle flash when a smaller amount of another powder will work as well. Personally I would save the Power Pistol for 9MM, 38's or 40 cal rather than 45. I would prefer Unique or my favorite Bullseye for the 45.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 26, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Ozzieman

I’m with old grump, save it for 9 or 40, it’s worked well for me in 9mm.
My suggestion for ACP is Win 231. With a 230 lead 5.1 GR of 231 (4.3 MIN, 5.3 MAX) works very well in my Gold cup and Kimber Royal. It meters well and is clean. Out of my Gold cup it measured just at 800 fps.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Old May 26, 2012, 11:24 AM   #4
FJ40

Thanks for the replys. I will try what you say and see what happens. I have never used Bullseye in my 45. I have used it in my .357 mag and didn't like the results...... seemed very smokey and dirty. Maybe it was just me.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Browning used the early Bullseye to develop the .45 ACP cartridge. 5.0 grains remains a good copy of the old standard load and of modern commercial hardball (350 ft-lb range). I've used Bullseye with 200 grain LSWC's down to 4.2 grains and still found it functions a standard 1911, so there's no issue with that. But if you want to run hardball practice with it you can probably get down to 4.5 grains without feeling much difference. POI should be about the same and running a little lower on powder is a little easier on the gun.

Power Pistol is for goosing up velocity to make higher power factors in matches. It also makes more muzzle flame and causes more recoil for your trouble. It takes about 7 grains to match 5 grains of Bullseye on velocity, but that extra gas pressure at the muzzle raises recoil energy from about 5.8 to about 6.3 ft-lbs.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 26, 2012, 01:48 PM   #6
PawPaw

My standard load for .45ACP for years was 4.6 grains of Bullseye under anyone's 230 grain bullet. Lead, jacketed, or plated, it made no difference. That load functioned every gun I ever shot it in. Fairly good accuracy, good power, there is a lot to like about that load.

However, recently, Kraigwy recommended that I drop down to 3.8 grains of Bullseye under that same 230 grain lead bullet. Initially I was concerned that such a light charge would not cycle the pistol, but I've been really surprised. In both my SW M&P45 and my Kimber 1911 the load functions fine, is easy to shoot and is more accurate than I am.

What's not to like? Less powder, more fun, more accurate. It's a great load and I can see that I'll be using it for a while. Thanks, Kraig!

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 27, 2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I was looking through my notes and was reminded 4.2 grains of Bullseye with a 185 grain JSWC was used to mimic commercial match ammo for a long time, and AFAIK that functioned standard 1911's as well (though the Goldcup used a 14 lb recoil spring rather than the standard 16 lb spring, and was made for that kind of ammo).

I used to shoot 3.8 grains of Bullseye under 185 grain LSWC's in my own Goldcup with either a 12 lb or 14 lb recoil springs and found that was a lower accuracy limit load for that bullet in that gun. That is, 3.5 grains did not group nearly as well as 3.8 grains, and 4.0 and 4.2 didn't improve it substantially. But with the heavier 230 grain bullet, that 3.8 grain charge weight should still function a full size 1911 as you've found. I just wouldn't expect a shortie to be so cooperative with it. Also, it's not going to give you the recoil recovery profile of hardball, which you want for speed practice on combat targets.

I'd sandbag small charge increments for accuracy. My Goldcup liked 4.0 and 4.2 grains of Bullseye better with 200 grain bullets, even though the extra charge didn't help the 185's any. The 185's never shot as well as 200's in it, anyway, so I used 185's for timed and rapid only.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 27, 2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Jammer Six

If you change components, like bullets, particularly bullet types, and certainly between lead and jacketed, you need to work your load up again.