The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 17, 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
sc outdoorsman

Vandalism

I am really peeved (can't really use the proper language to express myself) this morning. My dad and son went hunting yesterday afternoon. My son walked into to his favorite stand and found someone had loosened the wires that were holding the stand to the tiedown stakes and turned over the stand. The stand is 4'x4'x12' tall and made of pressure treated lumber so it took some effort to do it. We have had the stand in that location for about 10 years and it has never been bothered.
We hunted Friday afternoon so it was probably done Saturday. The stand can't be seen from the road so someone had to come in the area either poaching or some kids may have done it for kicks.
The site is in a fairly remote area. We are surrounded by two other hunt clubs, so I would hate to think that someone from those would have done it trying to steal the stand. We have never had trouble from them before.

I have figured out a way to keep them from tipping the stand over again short of lopping off a leg, but it makes me mad to need to go through all that trouble. I just hope the stand is still there when I go back to repair it.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:08 AM   #2
graysmoke

Is the stand on Private Owned or State Owned Property?.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:13 AM   #3
sc outdoorsman

Private propertythat we have had the right to hunt and have been hunting since the early 90's. If it happens again I will call the local authorities, but I am hoping this is an isolated incident since we have never had trouble before.
Here in SC you cant erect permanant stands on state land.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:30 AM   #4
graysmoke

It seems it may just be some folk that were kust playing around with it, or trying to take it, but had second thoughts.
Because, If it were on State owned property, it would have been removed and gone.
Old October 17, 2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Edhem

It may be "going out" of some local kids that have stolen their dads Jeep or something. Just call the police, and theyll find out what happened.
Check for some trails around too.
Old October 17, 2011, 05:39 PM   #6
sc outdoorsman

Thanks for the suggestion. There are really only two ways to get to the stand and one is basically a foot path we cleared that goes to to the edge of our property that is adjoining the one of the hunt clubs. I hope nobody used this because I am going to have to assume they did it. There is no access except from their property from that direction. We are surrounded by them and they have all of the access roads gated and locked and lease about 3500 acres in that area.
The other is from a paved road and is much easier.

Like I said I am hoping this was an isolated incident I will repair the stand and make it so that it can't be tipped over without being partially destroyed. If that happens I will have enough for a case with for the local LEA to take seriously.
Old October 17, 2011, 06:05 PM   #7
egor20

If you have one or have a friend you can borrow one from, a strategically placed "Critter Cam" could help the LEO's if it happens again.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old October 17, 2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Edhem

Is it in a field or in the hills? I ask this just to get perspective how it looks alike.
It may be young vandals, id say.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:02 PM   #9
sc outdoorsman

It is shaped like a slice of pie. 70 or so acres of 10 year old planted pine.
It is a thick and gnarly mass of briars and pines. The stand site is about 3 acres of 100 year old oak and elm trees that was once the homesite of the family that is gracious enough to let us hunt it. It sits like an island in athe center of a sea of brush. Deer are drawn to it like a magnet, especially when the oaks are dropping acorns. A paved road run the length the round edge of the slice the other 2 side are bordered by the hunt club I mentioned. They have 3500 acres that extends to the next paved road about a mile away.
Across the paved road we have 10 acres that is bordered by the 2nd hunt club.
The planted pine is so thick the only two possible accesss points are the 2 I mentioned earlier.

Egor that thought has crossed my mind. I really hope it doesn't get that far.

Last edited by sc outdoorsman; October 17, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Edhem

To whom belongs those 3500 acres youre mentioned that bordering you guys?
Is it private p.?
If the damage is as large, then you definitley should call the police, then you (as a company) can put the charge to that person(s). If damage is more than 500$, i think that it would be serious felony and DA is gonna do it officially.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:32 PM   #11
shortwave

Even though you are not going to call the authorities this time, I'd still take pics of the damage so if in fact it happens again you can show authorities this is the second time.