The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2008, 05:59 PM   #1
sophijo

new to reloading

I'm playing with the idea of reloading; for fun and to save $. I have no one to teach me being the geezer in the family and wondered if I can become competent via books, videos etc. Also.....how much to start with first class equipment?
Thanks in Advance!
Dave
Old May 20, 2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Majic

Read as much as possible. Buy several manuals. There are some excellent starter kits from several manufactors. I prefer RCBS, but that is just a personal opinion. I suggest you start off with a single stage press. Avoid interruptions and eliminate those around you so you can concentrate. STAY AWAY FROM MAX LOADS. It's not rocket science, but you must pay attention to detail. The better you get at consistency the better you loads will get. Spend a lot of time in the reloading section of the forum and ask plenty of questions.
Old May 20, 2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

There's a sticky on the reloading forum here. I'm willing to bet a Buffalo Nickel that you've peeked at that.

ABC's of Reloading, Lee's Modern Reloading, Lyman's 48th edition (wait until June for the 49th ed.) are some good books to pick up.

This forum is packed with information and members here are more than willing to help out. One word of caution: Whether it's an intermediate reloader like me, an expert, or a beginner member here that gives you advice, BE SURE to research our inputs before forming your own decision/opinion. We can give you A way, but there's usually ANOTHER way, too. Also, just because X recipe works great in our gun doesn't mean you will experience desired results in yours.

In other words, take our word under advisement. But don't take it for gospel. This will protect your well being and still process good inputs here.

If you want to start with "1st Class" equipment, we need more information as to what you're planning to load and if you're patient.

Not in particular order: Dillon, Hornady, Lee, RCBS, Redding all have quality equipment and also some duds. It depends on who you ask.

Once you give info such as if you're loading for pistol only, rifle only, or both and how much you're planning to shoot, how much $$ you've budgeted, we can get more specific on recommended equipment. Otherwise, you'll get just about every type of answer under the sun and only end up back where you started....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 21, 2008, 07:10 AM   #4
Sevens

Whoa, it'll be tough to try and add anything to that excellent advice. I'll re-affirm one thing-- do tell us what caliber you plan to start with. Oh yeah, pick just one or two... don't start with equipment for 10 calibers, that'll blow your budget and give you information overload!

As you get ideas for equipment, tune your browser to www.midwayusa.com
I can give you a dozen reasons why this is a terrific place to shop, but at this point you only need one good reason: they have a complete selection with good pictures, product descriptions and user reviews of each different item. You can easily compile a "wish list" and see how the $$$ adds up, and substitute this for that and fine-tune what you want to buy to get started. It'll even estimate shipping costs for you.

When going forward, remember that there are two parts-- tools and components. Both will have a cash outlay. Tools will be your press, dies, scale, and other durable odds and ends that can last a lifetime with good care. While we always keep adding gadgets to out loading benches, good tools are a one-time investment.

Components are a completely different story! Once you start reloading, you generally quit buying ammo altogether. And all the money you EVER spent on ammo now goes to bullets, powder, and primers. Prices on this stuff is volatile, especially these days for multiple reasons.

Being the "geezer" in the family should work in your favor! Patience will be your friend. Also, keep excellent records of anything you produce at the bench and how it performs.
Old May 21, 2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Grollen

Hi,

You can find a lot of information on reloading and Dillon reloaders on

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=78

And on Steves pages :

http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Don't be afraid to take the plunge, 2 months ago I started reloading directly with a Dillon 550.

Greetings,

Gerard
Old May 21, 2008, 08:56 AM   #6
SavageMOA

Starting with first class stuff will easily cost you about $400. I'm using a whole kit from Lee ($100 shipped) that functions just as well as the other brand's single stage press with the exception of maybe Forster's $250 press.

Buy at least 2 manuals. They are a FANTASTIC learning tool.

I DO recommend starting with a single stage. Things can get hectic for someone new to reloading using a progressive or turret press.

As far as saving money? Yeah I told myself that lie too. True, I can load a box of .223 shells that are very high quality, and are designed specially for my rifle for about $6, as opposed to paying $25+ for Federal Gold Medal Match rounds, but, as others will tell you, once you get started you won't settle for "decent" accuracy and will spend lots on new powders, primers, bullets, etc. searching for that 10-shot, 0.0000001 inch group

SUMMARY:
-Start with single stage press
-BUY AT LEAST 2 RELOADING MANUALS (can't stress that enough)
-Saving money by reloading? haha that's funny.

That being said, It's a great hobby and you won't regret getting started!
Old May 21, 2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
that 10-shot, 0.0000001 inch group
Dude! Did you find it?!

Share it!!!!

Old May 21, 2008, 12:17 PM   #8
BigJimP

Don't go with a single stage press / unless you want a single stage press long term.

You can learn to operate any press / and learn what each stage or station of the press does at it operates. I'm not saying you should always buy the most expensive thing you can afford - but when it comes to presses - the top of the line progressive machines are only a few hundred dollars more ( and if you spread that out over 20 years, that difference is petty cash ...). The time factor using a single stage vs progressive is a pretty big deal to me - not that speed is everything - but I want speed when possible, with no diminished quality.

Hornady, RCBS, Dillon, etc all make good machines these days. For my money, the deal breaker on a press is whether it has some form of a powder check station. As an example the Dillon SDB and the 550 do not have it / the Dillon 650 does have it - and you can look at their website and see the cost difference is about $ 200 depending on how you configure it. Options like case feeders are something you can add down the road if you want one - and save some money on the initial cost now if that's a factor.

I prefer Dillon equipment - and the 650 has met my needs very well. But other folks are having good luck with Hornady LNL and RCBS as well.

Read a lot. find a mentor in your area, study the recipes, ask other reloaders what they use for components and why ( cheap, available, clean, their buddy said so, all they could find ....), be meticulous on your setup, keep the bench clean, make quality your first priority ( powder drops, bullet depth, consitency on groups, etc ), know your press, etc. Its a great part of our hobby.
Old May 21, 2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Shoney

In order for the "Forum" to give you better advice, we need to know more about your shooting habbits.

What cartridges are you currently shooting?

How many of each do you shoot per week or month or year?

BEWARE THE DISEASE!!!!
Once you start reloading, you will predictably shoot more.
BEWARE THE DISEASE!
Other symptoms may include having uncontrollable anticipatory desires for finding spent brass.
BEWARE THE DISEASE!
You MAY develop a sense of “no embarrassment” when being caught going thru the garbage cans at the range.
BEWARE THE DISEASE!
The terminal stage is when you are found in your darkened reloading room, a twisted grin on your face, wringing your hands, and deliriously rasping out the words “I've loaded all my brass” over and over.
BEWARE THE DISEASE!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 21, 2008, 02:01 PM   #10
BurkGlocker

I started off with the Lee Anniversary Kit when I got into reloading, and was a up to the task then. Around $100 as Savage stated. You get everything but the dies and some of the shellholders. As long as youre not loading .50 BMG's (which is impossible on this press) it should be fine for whatever youre doing. But I made the switch to a progressive press and couldnt of been happier, but the sticker price on just the press (over $500) was to say the least, shocking, but worth it. Really, it depends on how much youre going to be shooting, and how deep your pockets are. The initial costs can be startling, but in the long run, it is well worth the time, and there's nothing better than the feeling of shooting off rounds that YOU made. The rest of the guys on here have already given you good advice, so its frivolous to reiterate on their posts. Good luck...
Old May 21, 2008, 02:42 PM   #11
jfrey

reloading

Buy the best equipment you can afford (I prefer Dillon myself), read the books and do the research. After that, load away. I still tell my wife how much money I am saving and when I buy something "on sale". She never says a word. When the family asks what I want for birthday or Christmas, I just tell them "bullets", and they know what to buy. Reloading is addictive but it keeps you off the streets and out of the bars and at the range. You know you have bought enough stuff when you get a Christmas card from the local gun shop. Enjoy, it is worth it!
Old May 21, 2008, 02:42 PM   #12
CrustyFN

This is a good read for someone new looking to buy equipment.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214

Welcome,
Rusty