The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2014, 01:35 PM   #1
pilpens

Para Pro Custom: barrel fit?

I have been looking at Para Pro Custom pistols.
Every one I have held at the store (all .45) exhibit the following: when the slide is closed and I push down on the chamber, the chamber would move down approx 1/16" of an inch.
I looked at my 3 1911s and none of them has the barrel movement when the slide is closed.

For the more knowledgeable,
Should behavior describe above be a concern?
If so, is the above the result of a poorly fitted barrel/barrel link?

thanks
Old February 13, 2014, 08:35 PM   #2
1stmar

Shouldn't be any play when the barrel is locked up. 1/16 sounds like a lot, all reports, good or bad, I have seen on paras usually have one thing in common... They are accurate. If you're concerned about accuracy I wouldn't be. Pro custom is their top of the line, I'm sure it's a shooter. They have a lifetime warranty.
Old February 14, 2014, 09:55 AM   #3
g.willikers

It could be caused by the barrel to bushing fit, in addition to problems at the other end.
But it's only of great concern if the gun is inconsistent in lock up and inaccurate, or otherwise troublesome.
If it shoots acceptably well, then it's no big deal.
If not, then you have the perfect excuse to get another gun.
Old February 14, 2014, 04:41 PM   #4
G. Freeman

My experience has been the opposite. I have owned a couple of recently produced Para's and barrel fit was very good with barely any movement in the hood. Both barrels were riding the link though.

As far as their other issues, well, they are plentiful. I fixed up both of my Paras so they ran perfectly, then sold both. I'm glad my ordeal was over. The new owner will get to enjoy what I was never able to.
Old February 26, 2014, 03:50 PM   #5
TheFineLine

I have a Pro Custom. There is no movement when locked up. It is however back at Para for its second trip for failure to feed issues. I'll tell you what though, when its running, its beautiful. It is very very accurate and the finish is like butter. I love it. I'm sure they'll get the FTFs worked out. I have a few 1911s and they've all needed a little work to get perfect so I expected it. I didn't expect it to need a second trip though.