The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2007, 11:14 AM   #1
tools

Chrony oddities

Every so often I get a wierd chronograph reading on a load, like 1100 when all the other bullets from the same load are reading 2800. Does anyone else ever see this, and what might be the cause? I'm sure the catridges are built up the same, and have the same powder charges, components, etc.
Old December 15, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Frenchwrench

Shadow/sunlight at an angle/glitch in skyscreens/ you see em every once in a while.Drop out the odd one and average em out.Unless you feel or hear that the shot was different....then you have a reloading problem.
Old December 15, 2007, 01:02 PM   #3
RDub

What chrono are you using?

I have seen this every once in a while. Usually, if I have a glitch, it's on bluebird sunny day.
My Oehler 33 has a 'ignore' button that I can delete a random reading from the rest of the string.
Old December 15, 2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Scorch

Try to make sure your screens are far enough away from the muzzle blast. Many times, you will get a reading off of the shock wave, which travels at the speed of sound (roughly 1,100 fps), or you will only get one screen triggered, which will give you the same reading.
Old December 15, 2007, 02:07 PM   #5
steveno

you don't say what caliber but it could very well be muzzle blast. magnum loads in revolvers and rifles will cause crazy readings on a chronograph
Old December 15, 2007, 08:56 PM   #6
firechicken

Also be aware of other shooters on the next bench. I've often had the muzzle blast from a neighbor contaminate my string.
Old December 17, 2007, 12:31 AM   #7
amamnn

Muzzle blast and flash can both give you odd readings. Also if your bullet is not passing through the center of the sensor area, at the ideal height above them, you can get odd readings. Your intermittent oddball reading sounds like this last problem.

You can build blast/flash screens to use just like the ones in the testing labs, but they are cumbersome to haul around and take extra time to set up and tear down. If you have a laser boresighter, you can use it to find out just where your bullet will pass through the sensor field. Do remember to remove it before shooting.