The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 11, 2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Splat!!

308 Win neck sizer

I have a lee 308 neck sizer.............Is it just me or does it not size consistent..

It is like there is no postive stop..............I have adjusted it several times keep getting the same results...........You have to lay into it and hold to get consistent results.........I would rather full-length size than do this...

Is there one out there better.............Just stroke and go..
Old November 11, 2007, 10:04 PM   #2
mrawesome22

I have my collet die adjusted so the ram positively stops when there is enough pressure on the bottom of the die. It is very consistent since it uses the rams stop instead of "feel".

EDIT: Here is a link to a video of adjusting the collet die. http://www.leeprecision.com/html/Hel...0install-1.wmv

I adjusted mine a little differently.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:28 PM   #3
Splat!!

It must be the style of the die......In the video you can hear the table creaking as he applys pressure.........

Thanks, I think I might try another brand.......
Old November 11, 2007, 10:31 PM   #4
jdmick

Quote:
Is it just me or does it not size consistent.
What exactly do you mean? If you mean some bullets seat very loose that is apparently a common problem. You may need to reduce the diameter of the mandrel .001 using some fine grit sandpaper to get all the bullets to fit snugly. I have a collet sizer for my 30-06 which required this modification. Lee will sell you a smaller mandrel as well.
Yes, the collet die is different from other dies. There is a bit of feel involved when using one but nothing too difficult to master. I was about ready to trash mine initially too but I'm glad I stuck with it.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:31 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Quote:
Is there one out there better.
Sure. Redding, RCBS, Hornady, CH, Pacific....

WildygwypfAlaska TM
Old November 11, 2007, 10:37 PM   #6
mrawesome22

Go ahead and try another brand. But the collet dies work very well. Do a search on here for collet and you'll find a bunch of people who love them. Myself included.

If you can't figure the collet die out, I'd give a Redding neck die a try. But don't get a bushing die. If you can't figure out the collet die, the bushing dies will baffle you.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:41 PM   #7
jdmick

Also, it doesn't hurt to polish up the mandrel with some fine sandpaper. I did that (make sure you clean it up after your done) and also apply a bit of lube to the outside of the collet to make it work more smoothly. Take it apart and examine everthing to understand exactly how it works.
Old November 11, 2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Splat!!

My main problem is two people using this die gets different results............
The die relys on pressure applied at end of stroke to perform correctly....

I am wanting a die that once you perform the action the job is done......I don't want to rely on feel..........My feel is different from my son's feel......

The neck tension just varies too much..............
Old November 11, 2007, 11:22 PM   #9
mrawesome22

If you adjust the die correctly (and lock that setting in with a Hornady ring) feel is taken out of the equation.

I can't remember exactly my settings but I think I touched the die to the shell holder, then screwed it in 3/4 of a turn? It's been a long time. I locked the Hornady ring down and "set it and forget it".

BTW, the table is creaking caused by pressure. Probably a flimsy thing they through together just to make the video.
Old November 11, 2007, 11:29 PM   #10
Splat!!

I'll try it once more...........see if I find the sweet spot ............
Old November 12, 2007, 06:53 PM   #11
Splat!!

:barf::barf::barf:..........................Ordered a RCBS neck sizer

Was no in between on trying to adjust.............either turn over table getting correct neck size or crushed the brass, After crushing 12 cases I quit...

Once or twice in a row the thing would work perfect then crush the next one...............
Old November 12, 2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Wild Bill Bucks

Don't own a Lee, but it sounds like a problem I had when I first started re-loading. I did not lubricate the inside of the neck of my cartridge, and about every 3rd or 4th round, my RCBS would crush the neck.

Now I lubricate the inside of the neck with a little dry lube before re-sizing, and haven't had the problem since.
Old November 13, 2007, 03:52 AM   #13
Mtn Hawk

jdmick--

I got a .001" smaller mandrel from Lee for my Collet Neck Sizing Die (7mm-08 cal.). Even with the smaller mandrel some of the bullets are still a little loose. I can move them by slightly pushing the bullet tip against my reloading bench. I've been putting a light crimp on the cases with a Lee Factory Crimp die to hold the bullets more firmly. Is this ok or should I sand down the mandrel a bit more to get a tighter bullet fit?

Thanks....
Old November 13, 2007, 01:57 PM   #14
Scorch

With the Lee collet dies properly adjusted, there is no way to crush the cases. None. Zero. Zilch. I have been using Lee collet dies for over 20 years, and once I read the instructions that came with the dies and adjusted the die as instructed, I never had a problem. But that is why the other manufacturers sell dies. Different strokes . . .
Old November 13, 2007, 08:18 PM   #15
mrawesome22

Mtn Hawk. Have you taken the collet die apart and figured out how it works? If you don't put enough force on the bottom of the die, the fingers are not going to squeeze the brass around the mandrel. No matter how small the mandrel is.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:10 PM   #16
Mtn Hawk

mrawesome22--

Yes, I've taken the collet die apart, know how it works, and understand what you're saying. The die definitely tightens the neck after sizing, so I assume it's working ok, but it does not tighten enough, even after following the instructions for maximum bullet grip. The smaller custom mandrel from the factory holds the bullets more firmly but still a little too loose for my liking. Lee says not to go over 0.001" smaller mandrel diameter so I am hesitant to do so.

I've used full-length resizing dies on other rifle calbers and they've all given a good bullet grip.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:13 PM   #17
Wildalaska

Go get a Redding bushing neck sizer and you are gravy...

WildwhymessaroundwithaninferiorproductAlaska ™
Old November 13, 2007, 09:20 PM   #18
mrawesome22

Well then I would measure the diameter of the expander on your FL die, then have your collet die mandrel turned to that diameter. That would give you the exact tension as the FL die. Problem solved. LOL

BTW, the State of Kalifornia says that anything and everything causes cancer. But I still use those products anyway.
Old November 14, 2007, 05:00 AM   #19
jdmick

Mtn Hawk, if the neck tension still isn't enough and you're applying sufficient pressure to fully close the collet you could sand down the mandrel just a little to get more tension. IMO this would be preferable to crimping if you're using a bolt gun. Make sure to keep the mandrel clean as well. Lee's reasoning for the light neck tension is that if the neck is made too small you'll be resizing it again when you seat your bullet with unpredictable results. All you need to do is chuck the mandrel in a drill and use some 600 grit sandpaper to reduce the diameter just a little. You should only have to reduce the diameter where the mandrel contacts the neck during resizing (toward the top) because the brass will spring back slightly after sizing. A mandrel for a collet die and an expander ball for a standard die of the same exact diameter will give you different neck tension because of the the way the brass springs back slightly after sizing. Since a collet die applies the final pressure from the outside of the case neck and a standard die's expander ball applies the final pressure from the inside the ending inside neck diameter would be smaller for a standard die.
Hope this helps.