The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 2010, 02:21 AM   #1
guitar1580

Storing 870 pump with hammer cocked, & Dry fire question

I just got my used 870 Wingmaster, and I prefer to leave 4 loaded in the mag, and 1 in the chamber, safety on ... as opposed to empty chamber and have to rack one in.

I've seen opposing opinions, but worst case scenario, if someone left it cocked in the corner without firing it very often, what's the worst it could do? Is is just a matter of wearing out a spring? If so, how long could that take, and how expensive to replace it? Is it even an issue?

Likewise, I hear both sides of the coin about dry firing this gun, without a dummy round, and causing damage or not to the firing pin, or any other area of the gun. Is there an official answer, for this gun, as whether to dry fire or not?

Thx, Josh P
Old January 17, 2010, 02:43 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Springs don't wear out. Leave it cocked.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:58 AM   #3
jmr40

Dry firing won't hurt the gun. Leaving it cocked won't hurt the springs. Use either method you are comfortable with.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
StuntManMike

As long as you understand that the safety does not block the sear, just the trigger, I see nothing wrong with leaving it cocked with one in the chamber and the safety on.

You might consider adding a Vang Comp big head safety. I find it much easier to activate than the factory unit.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My oldest 870(Five digit serial number) has been in the family since the early 50s. It's been kept cocked all that time.

Works fine.
Old January 17, 2010, 11:39 PM   #6
Big Bill

I keep my 870 in "cruiser ready" mode (...rounds in mag tube, none in chamber, trigger pulled...safety on. ...).
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr