The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Prof Young

223 in Lee die problems with stuck cases

Loaders: I'm trying to load some 223. I have the lee die set. These are my first "necked down" cartriges. I've been doing 9mm and 44 mag with no problems. The 223 get stuck OFTEN. In fact I broke my "c" style lee press and moved up to a better model. None the less I'm still getting stuck cases and the decapper gets stuck in the case too. Is it just a matter of lots more case lube? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Live well be safe.
Prof Young
Old March 12, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

That's odd. I don't know what lube you are using, but it shouldn't be nearly that hard. Try a can of spray lube or drop a buck and a half on some STP oil treatment at Wally World and give that a try.

However, I doubt it is the lube. It sounds like something is sticking it harder than normal. A true stuck case from having no lube won't come out at all without hammering the decapping pin rod in. Try taking the decaping rod out completely and just doing an outside sizing. See if it still sticks like that? I am wondering if the expander is getting jammed between the case and the neck portion of the die or some such thing.

Oh! And very basic: Check that you've got a .223 die and not a .222 die by mistake?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 12, 2009, 12:47 AM   #3
Ifishsum

You also might try calling Lee Precision - I've called them 2-3 times over the years and they'll connect me with a tech over the phone, it's always been helpful.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:40 AM   #4
ZX10Aviator

I reload .223 on the lee, never had a problem, you lube the inside of the neck as well right?
Old March 12, 2009, 10:57 AM   #5
DiscoRacing

like Zx... i load .223 all the time with lee...never had a problem at all.... also Zx... i dont even lube the inside of the neck on each single rd... only aprox 1 of 10... i did polish the decapper pin tho.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:29 PM   #6
ZX10Aviator

Oh, I just do it cause lee said to, I sit and lube 50-100 cases at a time so its all in the motion for me now, plus they really slide through easy.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Qtiphky

+1 on the size die, make sure it truly says 223 Rem on it.

I haven't had any problems like this. I use the Lee lube and it seems to work fine. Stupid question, but are you sure you are putting the shell holder on the loader to provide reverse pressure when you raise the ram after depriming and sizing? If so, is it holding the case in place?

Other than that, I don't have any other ideas except to call Lee.
Old March 12, 2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Alleykat

I use Hornady One Shot, and never have stuck cases in my Lee dies. Be sure and spray the One Shot on the cases with the cases horizontal, not vertical. The lube will migrate around the case. Also, wait until the lube dries before sizing.
Old March 12, 2009, 02:31 PM   #9
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

+1 on Hornady one shot! I lube mine in blocks in the vertical position that way i get the inside of the neck. Be sure to spin the block and get all sides. Be generous, too. Most people hate One Shot because they don't use enough.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 12, 2009, 04:13 PM   #10
ForneyRider

me too. I have destroyed a few decapping pins in the process with .223.

I get extra pins from Lee.

Hornady One Shot and Lee lube are both good.

I also use a universal decapping pin to save the pin in the resizer die.

If you are doing .223 for a bolt action, you can use a neck-sizer die and skip the lube.
Old March 12, 2009, 05:26 PM   #11
wncchester

"Is it just a matter of lots more case lube? Any suggestions would be appreciated."

Stuck cases are the result of insufficent lube, period. It's the lack of lube, or good lube, around the lower portion of the case; that's where they get stuck. And it has nothing to do with any lack of lube inside the necks, that part of the case has no contact with the die's expander until its outside is entirely free of the die.

The user gets a single warning: Excecessive lever pressure needed to push the case into the size die! Ignore that feedback, keep pushing and the ineveitable result is a broken press or stuck case. And die brand doesn't matter a bit.

Spay lubes applied with cases standing base down in a loading block cannot possibly allow lube to get where it's most needed. Standing cases on their mouths to spray them does work tho.
Old March 12, 2009, 07:51 PM   #12
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
Spay lubes applied with cases standing base down in a loading block cannot possibly allow lube to get where it's most needed
So you are calling me a liar!!! After thousands of .223 rounds sized in my lee die and not a SINGLE one stuck....hmmmmmmmmm........

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old March 12, 2009, 09:40 PM   #13
Inspector3711

I use Imperial outside and graphite inside... No stuck cases in awhile now.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Greygoose

The problem very well could be tight flash holes. What headstamp of brass are you using
Old March 13, 2009, 01:24 PM   #15
wncchester

"Spay lubes applied with cases standing base down in a loading block cannot possibly allow lube to get where it's most needed

So you are calling me a liar!!! After thousands of .223 rounds sized in my lee die and not a SINGLE one stuck....hmmmmmmmmm........"

No. Let me restate myself: MOST of the case blocks I've seen are too deep to allow spray case lube to reach the critical part.

If tight flash holes can cause stuck cases so can cheap powder measures.
Old March 13, 2009, 07:10 PM   #16
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
MOST of the case blocks I've seen are too deep to allow spray case lube to reach the critical part.
I would agree 100%. I don't buy stuff I can make....so mine are made of wood and I made them shallow for that reason precisely!

Quote:
If tight flash holes can cause stuck cases so can cheap powder measures.
*snickering* (because I didn't have the heart to say anything about that post)

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old March 14, 2009, 07:03 AM   #17
JDG

Get yourself some Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Just get some on your finger tips, and handle the cases, reapply after 3 or 4 cases Stuff is cheap, and last forever.
Old March 14, 2009, 09:19 AM   #18
wncchester

"*snickering* (because I didn't have the heart to say anything about that post)"

You are nicer than I.
Old March 20, 2009, 01:22 AM   #19
Prof Young

Thanks for all the help.

Loaders:
I've got some of the wax lube and the one shot and one other. After reading my instruction that came with the die again I realized I may have the decapper "down" too far. I tried some without the decapper in place and they were tight but sized just fine. I got three new decappers in the mail today and will have at it again. I truly appreciate all the suggestions and help.
Prof Young