The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 22, 2006, 05:37 PM   #1
coldshoe1

Walker-fun

Just wanted to say hey to everyone on here. I've been lurking for awhile, reading all the great advice on this forum. I've had an 1860 Army for about 5 years, just a recreational shooter, in my woods. I got a Uberti Walker for Xmas, after reading all the posts I could find on here I finally had the nerve and the weather to shoot it for the first time yesterday. Man is it sweet! Just shot one cylinder through with 45 grn bp in 3 and 50 grn in 3, with cci 11 caps. Went off perfect, grouping real nice at 30 yrds. in and old stump. Shot the 1860 also, I'm ashamed to say it has been loaded for about 2 years, used Rem. 10 caps on it, all 6 went off just fine, with maybe a little less power and more of a swoosh. The loading lever never came down on the Walker, I'm sure it will as I shoot it more and maybe up the powder a little. Here is a pic of last years xmas. Thanks for all the advice and tips, See ya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 26.jpg (66.1 KB, 196 views)
Old January 23, 2006, 05:53 AM   #2
plom

congrats on this one! I have a Dragoon and had the same pleasure as you had when trying it first time. Since then I turned to be a Fan of colts BP!!!
Old January 28, 2006, 02:20 AM   #3
Missoura Don

Hey coldshoe...Been thinkin about savin up fer a walker...Question...Hows the kick on that hogleg with just a moderate load, and, was ya shootin freehand or usin a rest on that grouping?
Old January 28, 2006, 08:54 AM   #4
Peter M. Eick

The recoil is very mild. Here is 60 grns of pyrodex out of my Walker with a .454 ball. I find it a blast to shoot!. Just love the fun!

Now if I could just get some more time on the range....
Old January 28, 2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Nortonics

I love the taste of black powder in the morning!

The ol' Uberti 1858 New Army - Woo Hoo!

Old January 28, 2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Missoura Don

Good lookin piece ya got there Nortranics...If it wasnt rainin so hard right now, Id have to amble on down to the range and get some smoke in my eyes!!!...I got a question about these remmys...I pretty much know about the colts, but am kinda unfamilliar with the remmys.....whats the diff between a 1858, and a 1863???
Old January 28, 2006, 09:18 PM   #7
mec

1858 was written across the top of the barrel because that was the year Remington bought the Beals Patent. The actual production began in 1860 and there were a couple of updates between then and 1863. One such was the additon of hammer rests between chambers to act as safety notches.
Old January 28, 2006, 09:18 PM   #8
mec

1858 was written across the top of the barrel because that was the year Remington bought the Beals Patent. The actual production began in 1860 and there were a couple of updates between then and 1863. One such was the additon of hammer rests between chambers to act as safety notches.
Old January 31, 2006, 12:31 AM   #9
gmatov

Mec,

Well, I ain't gonna double post, to get my postn count higher, but your book just came in today. AND Fadala's book, and that is a farce, and "The Confederate Brass....etc", by W.H.Albaugh III

Fadala, whom everyone seems to revere, seems to be an apologist for the manufacturers. Should I have time, would particularly like to scan and post a pic of how to cap a charged cylinder. One does NOT grasp the barrel ring, enclosing the open end of the cylinder in the right hand while capping. This seems, to me, to be asking for a blown off hand, should a cap snap while seating it.

It also sounds like another site that said that BP is impact sensitive, whereas I have read that you cannot set it off if you put grains on an anvil and smack heck out of itt with a hammer. Yet these sites maintain that percussion means that you can set it off with the fall of the guns hammer, no cap needed.

There is so damned much disinformation out there that it is a wonder anybody shoots ANYTHING, it's gonna tear you limb from limb, with just the slightest bit of deviance.

You have mentioned that the pics are better on the downloaded version of your book. They are kinda muddy in the book. Are they worth the 7 bucks for the download? I know it is YOUR book , but is it worth the 12 cents you get, or whatever?

Cheers,

George

Post 1 and the page it refers to, and I will judge if it is worth it.

edit: You don't have to post, do you? Most of the pics you have posted are probably from the e-book, or the originals, Gothic Script and all.

Last edited by gmatov; January 31, 2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old February 2, 2006, 12:03 PM   #10
mec

You've probably seen the color versions of a number of those pictures on this page over a period of time. the black and white reproductions seem to come out different on the printed page depending on how much ink the publisher has in his press at the time. I (and apparently about 3 other people) have bought the e-book and was surprised to find that they had preserved the original color in the pictures. the capacity to zoom in on them and really see the printed material on them well is also there. I find the e-book interesting and useful but prefer books to be bound and actually look like books, myself.

The e-book is specific to the computer that down loads it and seems to be write-protected six ways from sunday. So, coping text and pictures doesn't work. Copying the books to disk works but will only open on the computer that has the imbedded permissions. iUniverse is trying to protect their financial interests.

I agree that having your hand in front of the cylinder while pressing on a cap is a maximally BAD IDEA. I caught myself doing the same thing the other day and decided to stop. I'm glad I didn't do something like that in the book.

The book is what I could afford to pay for myself. I think the rather primitive black and white pictures have a species of charm about them. The regular publishers of gun/hobby books would be able to slick this material with color pages et al: and probably promote it to a larger audience. Given the nature of the material though- not aligned with the gun industry or skimping over some generally un-mentioned realities, the mainstream press, such that it is, would not be a bit interested in doing it.

While I appreciate the apparent improvement in quality from Uberti and apparently Pietta, I can't bring myself to omit things about quality deficits or the generally crummy performers like (oh, I don't know....) Palmetto. I do occasionally get something in print in one of the major gun magazines but I don't really care whether they publish my stuff or not or whether the gun companies think I'm a nice guy.

I'm really sorry about what happened to this guy's "Walker" thread so i'll try to make up for it a little......

Last edited by mec; August 28, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old February 2, 2006, 12:28 PM   #11
Remington kid

Mec, Where have you been hiding?! Glad to see your back and what a great picture! Nothing wrong with the pictures in your book, George just needs to put on his reading glasses GOT YA GEORGE!!!

Coldshoe, That will probably be my next revolver. What a cannon they are.I got to shoot a friends a few years back and with no ear protection it about tore my ear drums to pieces! Mike
Old February 2, 2006, 01:04 PM   #12
gmatov

Mike,

You're right about the glasses, need new ones.

The pics are good enough. I just expected a larger format for the book. The "schematics" are more important than the pics of tatgets, anyway, to me.

mec,

What you could afford....? Is iUniverse a so called "vanity press"? Self financed book printer, you foot all the costs? If so, you've not done a bad job with it, looks as though there have been 6 printings of it, including clothbound. Sorry, 4 printings, 2 cloth, 2 paper and 2 ebooks. Had I known there was a clothbound, would have bought that, much prefer them.

Coldshoe, ditto on the hi-jack.

Tried to bid on a Walker a few weeks back, asked at another forum what was a good price range, didn't get an answer, didn't bid too high, quit. Might consider a second model Dragoon, the flat mainspring version, if I get a chance at one at the right price.

Trouble is, just moved most of my shooting paraphernalia into 1 big pile in 1 big cabinet in my garage. Looking at all that, and estimating how much I have spent so far, this last 8 or 9 months, don't know if I can afford anymore.

Well, mebbe just 1 more.

But you go ahead and enjoy that thing. And come back often, join in. 12 days since you posted, hope you ARE still here.

Cheers,

George
Old February 2, 2006, 01:46 PM   #13
coldshoe1

I'm still here, been busy with work and wishing I had more time, because I haven't shot it since the first time. I have enjoyed reading all the posts and hopefully will have time to make some smoke this weekend and report back. See ya'll!
Old February 2, 2006, 02:05 PM   #14
mec

" What you could afford....? Is iUniverse a so called "vanity press"? Self financed book printer, you foot all the costs? If so, you've not done a bad job with it, looks as though there have been 6 printings of it, including clothbound. Sorry, 4 printings, 2 cloth, 2 paper and 2 ebooks. Had I known there was a clothbound, would have bought that, much prefer them"

There seems to be a distinction from "Vanity Press" iUniverse has several packages you can buy. The one I optioned included the basic paperback, hard back and e- book plus and editorial review and cost+indexing. The "Vanity" aspects of it would apply to me as I did it for fun rather than profit. iUniverse is great if your expectations are about like mine. I submitted the sample document with pictures that extended from one side of the page to the other and was taken aback when they shrank them. If I revise it, I'll specify larger pictures even if the page count costs me some extra money. the cloth binding is a pretty, blue color and you still get the jacket picture- which I created all by myself on the edit program that came with my soni camera.
Old February 2, 2006, 06:48 PM   #15
gmatov

mec,

That wasn't to be demeaning. For a subject thet has a limited audience like this one, it's likely the only way to get your book into print. A name author, a Venturino, might have difficulty without Peterson's behind him. The "not done a bad job" was not a financial remark, rather the quality of the product. My sympathy. I know doing all that test shooting must have been very rigorous.

And, y'know, at my local Border's and Barnes & Noble shooting sports shelves, I don't think there are 3 titles that have more than 1 copy on the shelf. While it's possible lack of shelf space means 1 at a time, when 1 is sold, go to the storeroom and get another, I think it's more likely that we as a nation just do not read very much, especially if it is over 50 pages and not full of pretty pictures. Why give them more shelf space if they won't move?

I'm about 1/2 through yours, but have "Sixguns", and Fadala and "Hell I Was There" open at the same time. Only have 1 pair of eyes and they point in the same direction, so can only read 1 at a time, but just have to go to that other one. Not enough hours in the day.

Cheers,

George

Coldshoe, glad you're still with us, give us a heads up Monday, if work allows.
Old February 2, 2006, 07:24 PM   #16
mec

" That wasn't to be demeaning..."
Not taken as such. Actually, I'm not displeased with the final product from them-just would make the pictures a bit bigger.
In some of the printings I've seen, "muddy" is a good discription of at least some of the pictures. They vary in lightness and darkness and some of them look sharper than others. These are "print on demand" and they will run off a batch when orders are received. Ingram books keeps a stock and is apparently the "warehouse" for the internet book dealers. The last couple of clothbounds I bought look pretty nice in the picture department but there is no predicting about what the next will look like.
The book has been well-received by enthusiasts and while the number of copies out is not huge, it's getting fairly wide circulation among the target audience and is "out there" for those who are interested.

The data gathering adds up to about two years of relaxing happy fun and I'm inclined to add to it in the future.

By the way, Venturino has left the Peterson Magazines and now writes for Handloader/Rifle and American Handgunner and Guns. I've read a couple of his recent articles and found them interesting and informative. Right after I launched this book, I picked up a Vent. article in GUNS - something like "50 Years of Replicas." He summed up the problems with the initial and some of the current handgun copies in a way you seldom see in the printzines.
Old February 3, 2006, 01:49 AM   #17
gmatov

Well, Venturino either was let go, or, more likely, got a better rate at his new job. I'd think the latter.

He's old enough to have earned his stripes, kinda unlike Bart Skelton who inherited his dad's job at Shooting Times.

A couple years of shooting was fun? Wow, was it, the omly difference is you gotta make note of it, enter it ionto a data base, make it printable, then look for the right pics for the given chapter, or paragraph.

Me, I shoot, miss as often as not, generally speaking, hit a target 6 for 6, brag.

BTW that 29-2 is pinned and recessed, 300, and one went the other day for 750 on GB. Somebody is crazy, and I don't think it was me.

Cheers,

George
Old February 3, 2006, 07:19 AM   #18
mec

The version put out by the two distinctly different publishing firms that print Handloader and Rifle and American Handgunner/etc is that he quit Guns and Ammo and went to the above magazines because he was tired of being asked to shill for the industry and prefered to write the truth about the products he reviewed.
Old February 3, 2006, 08:23 AM   #19
Old Dragoon

Mec,
You just confirmed my thoughts about Guns and Ammo over the last several years. it appeared to me to be an infomercial from cover to cover. I used to subscribe to American Handgunner. May have to pick one up today and see what Mike is writing about.

George,
You got a good deal on the 29! Those pinned and recessed models are few and far between. Wish I had my 629 back.
Old February 4, 2006, 04:37 AM   #20
gmatov

OD,

I like it. Not real crazy about the nickle finish, I DO like S&W Blue. But the price was right.

I don't know what the 245 gr reloads I bought at a show are for load, but I loaded some 200's with, I think, 9.6 gr Red Dot(got a coffeecan full from my trap days), and they seem to have a little smarter kick to 'em. Red Dot IS a little faster than most pistol powders, else they wouldn't have such small charges listed. Geez, over 700 to the pound!!!

And a pound cost me like 2 bucks at the time. Remember buying a keg for 30 or so, and frettin' the gunsmith was trying to rip you off? And near 25 for a BP sub, and glad to pay it, today!!!

I got cans of powder you can still read the stickers on, 1.69, 1.79, 1.89!

Good Lord, where'd the world go wrong?

Cheers,

George

Where'd everybody go, none of the forums has anybody active, just a post here and there.
Old February 4, 2006, 12:18 PM   #21
Old Dragoon

I'm here, off and on today and tomorrow.....LOL
I remember buying two kegs of Dupont FFG in 1968 and a few lbs of FFFFG to prime my flinters. I finally tossed the little 4F i had left in my priming horn at my nephew's place in Sept. so I could fly back with the horn on the airplane and not get the dogs and goons on me. I fuilled the horn with water three times so there wouldn't be any residue to attract attention. Darn those were the good old days. I cannot remember exactly how much thoses 25 # kegs cost but it couldn't have been much more than a $1.00 a pound. Bought then just before the laws changed and that was the reason I got them.