The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 5, 2006, 02:21 AM   #1
hdawson228

Hi Point Firearms

Not to start another long thread on this subject, since there already is a long, long, long thread that I've read.

What I would like to read are personal [I]experiences[I] with these very affordable line of firearms. Lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

I will not often carry concealed. Am considering their 9mm compact semi for when I do carry. Of course I would put 4-500 rounds thru it at the range first, for breakin and confidence. I have more expensive semis for my normal range use.

I am not looking for comments from those that have no personal experience with these weapons, that dis them for being so inexpensive.
Old September 5, 2006, 05:29 AM   #2
spyderdude

I've had two Hi-Point pistols, one being the .40 S&W, and the C9. I didn't care for the .40 S&W as much as I did for the C9. Both never jammed, even after 200 rounds each, and both were a blast to shoot. I'd say if you're on a tight budget and are looking for an affordable handgun, Hi-Point is the way to go, because of their affordability, and the customer service that they provide. I sold my C9 to a friend who was looking for home protection. Carrying them can be rather challenging. Those who talk down on Hi-Point have probably never fired one. Here is the Hi-Point forum...

http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/index.p...7c91156fc950d5
Old September 5, 2006, 07:45 AM   #3
wilson133

I bought a C9 out of couriousity. Mine has worked fine with a variety of ammo, goes bang every time. I have several better options for carry, that safety bothers me for carry, but wouldn't fear it if it was all I had.
Old September 5, 2006, 10:37 AM   #4
threegun

There are things you skimp on and things you don't. The first thing I learned not to skimp on was toilet paper LOL. The second was guns. Here I determined that if I was going to potentially risk death on a handgun, while trying to defend myself, I would spare no expense to get the best handgun available to do so. I have owned hi point type pistols (although briefly) in the past and while they shot ok they had unacceptable limitations. Having sold hi points, Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin, Raven and other similar pistols in the past I can tell you that they have many problems. So much trouble that we stopped selling them all. Broken firing pins, FTF, FTE, parts breakage like safeties, mag releases. They are also made of inferior metal which requires them to be bulkier than other guns of equal caliber. Unless it was all that I could afford, I wouldn't handle another in that category. I would save longer and buy a pistol that put every available percentage point for surviving a gun fight in my favor.
Old September 5, 2006, 10:49 AM   #5
tBlake08

CajunBass is your man.

-Clint Eastwood
Old September 5, 2006, 11:29 AM   #6
timothy75

If its all you can afford and want one go right ahead. They are not nice guns at all but they do 99.9% of what any gun does. Every man has the right to protect himself and Hi point makes it possible. They make the cheapest gun possible and they know this. Anyway my freind had one, it was accurate and reliable. He reasembled it wrong and couldnt take it back apart so he had to send it back to the manufacturer. They fixed him right up and he had the gun back within two weeks. A week later the frame cracked but it still ran fine, but he sold it to another freind. I have to say though you mentioned you have other guns. I think Hi point is geared more toward a different knid of customer than yourself. Hi Point is for a person with no guns at all and no plans for further guns. They're usually for a person on an extremely tight budget who needs a gun to protect his family with period, not to review and test group size and share experiences with people online. Dont think I'm telling you what to do, I'm not I'm just saying they're USUALLY for a different kind of customer. Good luck
Old September 5, 2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Regarding their "lifetime warranty"- The company that makes Hi Point goes in and out of business frequently. They have been Raven, Jennings, Sundance, and several other incarnations. The new company is under no obligation to repair any guns except the ones marked with their current name.
Bill
Old September 5, 2006, 12:09 PM   #8
marshall2

Not right info

Someone wrote:

Quote:
Regarding their "lifetime warranty"- The company that makes Hi Point goes in and out of business frequently. They have been Raven, Jennings, Sundance, and several other incarnations.
This is incorrect. The Hi Point maker is not related to Raven, Jennings, Bryco, etc.
Old September 5, 2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Te Anau

Quote:
Having sold hi points, Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin, Raven and other similar pistols in the past I can tell you that they have many problems. So much trouble that we stopped selling them all. Broken firing pins, FTF, FTE, parts breakage like safeties, mag releases.
Anyone who compares Hi-Point to Jennings ,Lorcin,Raven & Bryco is downgrading them substantially.Hi-Point makes a very good and reliable product and sells it for a bargain price.Thats reality folks.
Quote:
Hi Point is for a person with no guns at all and no plans for further guns.
There is some truth to this,although my Comp 9 Hi-Point was one of my first handguns and I still have and shoot it even though there is a much wider selection now.
Quote:
Regarding their "lifetime warranty"- The company that makes Hi Point goes in and out of business frequently. They have been Raven, Jennings, Sundance, and several other incarnations.
WRONG!
Old September 5, 2006, 12:26 PM   #10
hdawson228

I believe Raven is/was Phoenix Arms.

Maybe Bill can give us a timeline and numbers of former companys that ultimately became Hi Point. BTW. I've read many posts that say HP does in fact cover previous company names whether obligated or not. Actually, when a company is taken over they usually also take over any obligations of the pervious company.
Old September 5, 2006, 12:31 PM   #11
silicon wolverine

Hi-points are manufactured/maintained/warrantied by a corporation named beemiller inc. They have ZERO to do with the junk gun bryco family.

SW
Old September 5, 2006, 01:19 PM   #12
Voyager AL

Bill D...I cant believe that you, a Kel-tec lover, speak of the Hi=point that way. Have you ever spent tima at a range with one??
I have a 45, and have put over 5000 rounds thru it, with LESS problems than my Kel-Tec. My KT has been repaired at the manufacturer. My Hi-point has basically been flawless. a FEW FTE's , that i attribute to MY Handloads. Not a pretty gun, but also not my everyday carry. Fun at the range, and with adjustable sights, its accurate! JMHO. AL
Old September 5, 2006, 02:03 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

I stand corrected!
I don't/won't own a Hi Point, but have examined them. They are no where near Keltec quality, though.
Bill
Old September 5, 2006, 02:26 PM   #14
hdawson228

Bill. How can you say that without ever firing a HP? Such statements deminish your credibility. Is it possibly snobishness on your part?

Also, maybe you can comment on my earlier post.

I don't own a HP. Yet. I do own Springfield and S&W.
Old September 5, 2006, 06:44 PM   #15
timothy75

In Bills defense I think he meant fit and finish rather than function and reliability.
Old September 5, 2006, 07:52 PM   #16
hdawson228

Fair enough. I always think of function. Appearance or beauty somewhere down the list.
Old September 5, 2006, 08:06 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

They may work well. Many people say they do.
I did mean fit, finish, and materials. Hi Points use an awful lot of die-cast zinc parts. Die-cast zinc didn't even hold up on cap guns, so I'm a little prejudiced against it's use. It has been proven that it will hold up reasonably well in certain gun applications.
Bill
Old September 5, 2006, 08:10 PM   #18
hdawson228

Thank you Bill for your clarification.
Old September 5, 2006, 08:15 PM   #19
RevolverLover

I have shot a few 9mm hi-points. I didn't like it at all...some were reliable and some weren't. Also will you be able to find holsters for it if you plan to ccw?
Old September 5, 2006, 08:20 PM   #20
Lycanthrope

I have some high dollar 1911's and was able to shoot a Hi Point several times at my range. It shot decent groups and ran and ran and ran.........

.....good enough for me. Not perfect, but good enough.
Old September 5, 2006, 08:58 PM   #21
kenneth owens

Lifetime Warranty,american Made Nuff Said!

I now have had my 995 carbine for about 3 yrs I have put thousands of rounds down range the carbine has had +p+,+p,hot handloads,as well as several factory loads. the carbine wont quit
Old September 6, 2006, 12:30 AM   #22
jfrey123

---This is a vote from me in favor of Hi-Point---

Now, honestly my gun experience is quite limited, owning only four firearms myself and only one being the Hi-Point. It's a C9 compact. For me, it's ugly and feels bluky when I rack it when compared to my Glock 17. It was explained to me that the only trait truly against it is that it's made from "lesser quality" materials, that it may break down after 5,000 rounds where others go for 20,000. It apparently might be a bad choice for people who compete or go shooting 3 times a week.

Now, my pro's and reason for purchasing it. It added to my collection, and only cost me $175 with two mags and an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster through a private party cash sale. At the end of the day, it shoots quite straight and allows me to put 8 rounds of 9mm ammo into defensive play.

Not a bad choice in my humble newbie opinion. A cheap 9mm in your holster is better than the expensive 9mm still in the store keeper's case.
Old September 6, 2006, 12:50 AM   #23
D-Bak

my brother in law loves is .380 high point which is the exact same gun as the 9mm with a different caliber...

he takes it to the range every other week or so and uses it as a bedside gun...

he said he had a few problems with it in the first 100 prounds or so but he gave it a fluff and buff with sand paper (didnt even use a dremel or anything else) and he hasnt had one problem since (Maybe 700 or 800 rounds)
Old September 6, 2006, 06:16 AM   #24
threegun

Quote:
Anyone who compares Hi-Point to Jennings ,Lorcin,Raven & Bryco is downgrading them substantially.Hi-Point makes a very good and reliable product and sells it for a bargain price.Thats reality folks.
There is absolutely no difference between the above listed guns except shape. They are made from the same zinc alloy material. They are striker fired, only the striker remains fully cocked and held by only a 1/16 (or so) piece of pop metal. They all represent the absolute lowest common denominator in handguns. These guns should never be carried locked and loaded because its dangerous. BTW You can't downgrade a hi-point. They are the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality or craftmanship, materials, etc. All the guns listed above functioned well with hardball just like the Hi-Point.

If all you can afford is a hi-point by all means get one. I owned a raven once before I realized how shoddy the guns were. I look at it like this, if you shoot alot you will need several hi-points in a lifetime as they will wear out sooner that say a Glock. Just save the money and get the Glock and be done with it.
Old September 6, 2006, 11:57 AM   #25
Te Anau

Quote:
All the guns listed above functioned well with hardball just like the Hi-Point.
Not in my world.The Jennings 9 is one of the worst made handguns ever.A Hi-Point isnt likely to spontaneously fall apart like the others mentioned.I recently sold my Glock 21 and the Comp 9 Hi-Point remains.That was a smart move.I have no concerns about the Hi-Point kabooming on me when I pull the trigger.