The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 18, 2005, 12:27 AM   #1
Mr.XD9mm

Whats the best way to carry theXD9 service model concealed?

I am heavy set and my jeans are bit on the tight side sometimes.
Live in Texas where summers are hot and the humidity is higher.
Plan to get my CC license and would like to carry my XD9 Service model but what do you wear to carry it concealed?
Have seen the IWB holsters but wouldn't that be uncomfortable since there isn't much room on the side of my pants?

What would be my best option of carrying this pistol also I do not wear suits out so I do not think it would be legal if I put it in the front pocket of my pants. You can still see the 5inch outline of the barrel and tell there is a pistol in there. Even with a short out it still shows. CC must be not able to tell there is a pistol there right?
Old September 18, 2005, 01:21 AM   #2
leadcounsel

My suggestion is check out the wide array of products on the web... I know that is very general, but only you know what will work. Order from a company with a no BS return policy and a wide array of products like www.action-direct.com I've used them and they are good at returns.

With your description of yourself, my thoughts are to think about realistically where can you carry something. These thoughts come to mind:

1) Can you do a fanny pack? It's not realisitic or practical for everyone, but it may work for you.

2) Do you want the gun on your body, or is off body carry like in a dayplanner okay?

3) Carrying a 5" XD CCW is not always realistic given your restrictions. Can you get the 3" XD or a smaller gun for IWB carry?

4) If on the body is your only method and that is your only gun, how about a shoulder rig from Bicanchi (Miami classic for instance) or Ross or Galco of Fobus?

5) I use a rid that works very well for a 3", 4", or 5" XD, depending on the length and weight/thickness of the shirt. Works best for longer button down shirts of alittle heavier weight, sometimes with an undershirt. Its a Ross leather sleeve that slides on the outside of my belt and the gun sits on the outside of my jeans, covered only by my shirt. Rarely prints and I'm just cautious of certain leaning over motions that may cause printing. Works well for me.

6) If you can get the 3" XD, Galco skyops makes a great IWB holster for the 3" or 4" XD which allows you to tuck a shirt in over the gun. Many other makers make a "shirt tucker" similar to this. Be forewarned that while the Skyops holster works well, it requires a thin dress belt. Others work with thicker belts.

Good luck
Old September 18, 2005, 01:35 AM   #3
Mr.XD9mm

Good Info

Thanks for your comments and suggestions should have went with something a little smaller. Should rigs do you where them underneath your regular shirt and unbutton and grab with your hand? Don't know much about carrying a pistol like this. Maybe if i lose a little weight then inside the belt wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old September 18, 2005, 01:52 AM   #4
leadcounsel

Well, there are advantages and disadvantages with each method of carry. When you start to CCW you will need to modify your dress accordingly. Think also about how you spend most of your day.

For instance, if you are standing all day, a lower back IWB might be great. IF you're sitting any part of the day, this method will be uncomfortable.

If you drive for a living, consider a cross draw waistband holster due to ease of access and comfort.

As for the shoulder rig, wear a tshirt as the bottom layer (to keep the holster and the gun dry) then wear your holster, then wear a button down over it. drawing the gun will be slower than WB carry in SOME situations. If seated, shoulder drawing may be faster. if standing, WB drawing will be faster. for shoulder drawing you'd likely rip open your buttons and draw. for shoulder rigs, thinner straps will dig into your skin, but wider straps will be hotter. it's a preference..... consider counter balancing the weight of the gun with a magazine pouch on the opposite side, otherwise the gun may pull too much on one side from the imbalance.

i've carried a 5" Glock, the same as your XD, in a shoulder rig. it was heavy, but it worked until I got a 3" XD. I carry the XD IWB or outside WB in the Ross or Galco mentioned before. perfectly comfy.
Old September 18, 2005, 02:17 AM   #5
p99guy

also too...if you are going to use a IWB...buy pairs of pants in a size larger than you wear without one, to give you that room it needs for comfort. Not going to feel good with tight pants..infact they are painful. and yes I carry an IWB with a full size service pistol every day(blade-tech Kydex w/rubber belt loops 59.95+shipping)

Old September 18, 2005, 02:22 AM   #6
leadcounsel

If you look on the net, some jeans makers make jeans specifically for CCW carry, or with small elastic waist strips which expand a couple inches.
Old September 18, 2005, 01:26 PM   #7
Spineshank95

Do you have the service model or the tactical ? You said you have the service model, but its a 4" barrel, 5" is on the tactical. Reason I ask is you may want to look into a Sidearmor holster(doesn't fit tactical i dont believe). I just got mine last week for my XD and it's comfortable. A few of my friends tried it as well, and the two that are a little heavier seemed to think it was more comfortable than the skinny guys . Just my .02. And I have to agree with the size larger pants as well since you said yours a tighter already.
Old September 19, 2005, 12:45 AM   #8
leadcounsel

I"ve also heard good things about Milt Sparks holsters on the net. Well made and balanced.
Old September 19, 2005, 11:10 PM   #9
Mr.XD9mm

Thanks for the advice

I appreciate everyones advice on this subject and look for more suggestions.
I am prone to sweating a whole lot especially with this Texas humidity and have never carried a pistol out in the public. I am 5'9 and about 245lbs and wear XXL shirts right now anyone else fit around these sizes and carry a pistol in public?
Old September 19, 2005, 11:53 PM   #10
Topthis

You may want to consider wearing your IWB at a different spot. Instead of a 3 or 9 o'clock, try it at 1 or 11. I wear my Don Hume 715 IWB at 11 o'clock at I hardly notice it.
Old September 20, 2005, 07:13 AM   #11
SomeKid

Comp-Tac.

I love my CTAC.
Old September 20, 2005, 08:59 AM   #12
Mannlicher

Frankly, pistols like the XD9, and Glock do not lend themselves to CCW with an IWB holster. They are just too darn fat. Now a slender 1911 platform is another matter

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 22, 2005, 12:46 PM   #13
oldmantod

I thought long and hard as well and then tried some different holsters, of course I used the search button here and over at hs2000talk.com first

Anyway, what I ended up doing (I have two XD's, a 9 sub and a 40) is buying a owb leather holster labeled Old World and it fit's both guns. This puts the firearm in the same position no matter where/when I am carrying.

I carry the 40 around the house and the 9 when I go out (along with a .380 keltec in the pocket).

The way I dress is that I have a t-shirt (or a wife beater depending on how hot it is) as the first layer to keep the firearm from rubbing a sweaty body and then a loose shirt on top of that, in which I usually just button the middle button or two.

I think you are probably just going to have to get over the "it's hot here and two shirts don't work" mentality and let your body adjust to it.

I tried the IWB's and never found one that I liked, the OWB has been the most comfortable...

Good Luck,

T
Old September 22, 2005, 03:20 PM   #14
payne

I carry a service model XD in a IWB at the 6 oclock position. I never had to get a larger pants size for this carry position. Sitting isn't to uncomforable unless it's for a very long time. I live in AL, so I'm in the same heat situation u are in. I've adjusted to wearing a "wife beater" or light t-shirt under my main shirt for the day. I carry the USP full size which is a little bigger in a OWB @ 3 o'clock with a untucked button up shirt to cover it. If Im going to be driving or sitting alot that day i wear it in a crossdraw position. The XD could be carried the same way if you wear appropriate cover shirt length wise. I am 6'1" 183lbs if this helps you figure anything out. The XD is a gun thats easy to carry for CCW in my experience. I like the no manual safety thing.
Old September 23, 2005, 03:35 AM   #15
SomeKid

Mann

Quote:
Frankly, pistols like the XD9, and Glock do not lend themselves to CCW with an IWB holster. They are just too darn fat. Now a slender 1911 platform is another matter
Not one bit true. I carry a 23 around all the time. Just yesterday I went to the dentist. Neither he, nor any of his assisstants saw it (CTAC).

It is NOT at ALL hard to conceal IWB with a Glock. It is extremely easy.
Old September 23, 2005, 01:54 PM   #16
Wynterbourne

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetai...d=05XDL&cat=24

Tucker Gunleather 'The Answer' holster.

Hybrid Leather/Kydex tuckable IWB design. Soft leather backing, molds to the body, easy draw and holstering, it's a pretty dang good holster. The only problem is that it has NO retention when you 'drop your drawers', so make sure you unholster before you do your business.

"You can say ‘stop’ or ‘alto’ or use any other word you think will work, but I’ve found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much the universal language." - Clint Smith

9mm. Because no matter how you try to rationalize it, .45 ACP is still for people trying to compensate for -something-.